    to do the job?

    Thanks

    John

    John Lord, Jul 24, 2006

  2. John Lord

    Toolman Tim Guest

    John Lord wrote:
    > Just got a 320gb usb drive to back up my system, i thought nero would
    > be up to the job but only gives me the option to backup to cd or dvd!

    Ummm...read the label: Nero is designed to write CD/DVD. That's what it's
    MADE for, why would you expect it to do anything else?

    > does anyone know a work around to allow me to back up to the usb
    > drive, even better to do a ghost image, or if not possible in nero
    > can anyone recommend a program to do the job?

    Do you need automation? Compression? Replication/mirroring? Maybe you should
    clarify your purpose.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2006

  3. John Lord

    John Lord Guest

    why is it that u get a lot of folks in these newsgroups have no manners? and
    feel u have to belittle peoples genuine questions? and think we all are pc
    geeks, if i knew i wouldn't be asking the question would i? i just want to
    backup my hard disk, if possible to make an image of it so i can restore it
    back to the way it was if sommat goes wrong.

    sorry if you think i'm having a pop just want a simple answer without the
    ridicule

    thanks

    john

    John Lord, Jul 24, 2006
  4. John Lord

    Toolman Tim Guest

    John Lord wrote:
    > i just want to backup my hard disk, if possible to
    > make an image of it so i can restore it back to the way it was if
    > sommat goes wrong.

    So why didn't you say so in the first place?

    Hard drive IMAGING software: (which is NOT the same as hard drive BACKUP
    software, although many programs do both)

    Norton Ghost
    http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost10

    Paragon Drive Backup
    http://www.drive-backup.com/

    Acronis True Image
    http://www.acronis.com/

    And MANY others.

    So you can see the differences between that and a BACKUP program, look at

    Backup MyPC
    http://www.stompsoft.com/pc-backup/

    NovaStor
    http://www.novastor.com/download/index.asp, or

    EMC Dantz Retrospect Express version 7.5
    http://www.emcinsignia.com/products/homeandoffice

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2006
  5. John Lord

    Top Guest

    John Lord has brought this to us :
    > why is it that u get a lot of folks in these newsgroups have no manners? and
    > feel u have to belittle peoples genuine questions? and think we all are pc
    > geeks, if i knew i wouldn't be asking the question would i? i just want to
    > backup my hard disk, if possible to make an image of it so i can restore it
    > back to the way it was if sommat goes wrong.

    Many times a person will ask a question but not give enough information
    to have the question answered. They will ask "why is my email broken?"
    "this is a helpdesk why are you talking about trees?" Then we have
    people that have no shift keys so they type A Capital letter. They
    think they save a great deal time when they type "u" instead of "you".

    Remember, google is your friend.

    --

    This is not mail, it's news or most of it is sometimes.

    Top, Jul 24, 2006
  6. John Lord

    Gary Guest

    John Lord wrote:
    > Just got a 320gb usb drive to back up my system, i thought nero would be up
    > to the job but only gives me the option to backup to cd or dvd! does anyone
    > know a work around to allow me to back up to the usb drive, even better to
    > do a ghost image, or if not possible in nero can anyone recommend a program
    > to do the job?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    I'll make it simple now that we all know what you want to do. Get
    Acronis True Image. From it, you can burn a bootable CD for emergencies
    and then the program can run from that CD to find and reinstall the
    image you saved on the USB device. True Image can make a single
    compressed image or it can be partitioned. If you need only a single
    file restored from the image it can search the directory and allow you
    to find and restore as little as a single file. It runs inside of
    Windows unlike some others and is user friendly and pretty inexpensive.

    Gary, Jul 24, 2006
  7. John Lord

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > John Lord wrote:
    >> Just got a 320gb usb drive to back up my system, i thought nero
    >> would be up to the job but only gives me the option to backup to cd
    >> or dvd! does anyone know a work around to allow me to back up to the
    >> usb drive, even better to do a ghost image, or if not possible in
    >> nero can anyone recommend a program to do the job?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > I'll make it simple now that we all know what you want to do. Get
    > Acronis True Image. From it, you can burn a bootable CD for
    > emergencies and then the program can run from that CD to find and
    > reinstall the image you saved on the USB device. True Image can make
    > a single compressed image or it can be partitioned. If you need only
    > a single file restored from the image it can search the directory and
    > allow you to find and restore as little as a single file. It runs
    > inside of Windows unlike some others and is user friendly and pretty
    > inexpensive.

    Being able to locate and restore a specific file does make it a good option.
    I've not used it, since I use Backup MyPC (formerly Vertitas Backup Exec).
    The disadvantage I've seen with the "cloning" or imaging software is that a
    full drive image is huge, compared to incremental backups, which I prefer.
    Does True Image allow updating of an image with files that have changed,
    rather than re-imaging the whole disk?

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2006
  8. John Lord

    Star@*.* Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 11:33:53 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >Gary wrote:
    >> John Lord wrote:
    >>> Just got a 320gb usb drive to back up my system, i thought nero
    >>> would be up to the job but only gives me the option to backup to cd
    >>> or dvd! does anyone know a work around to allow me to back up to the
    >>> usb drive, even better to do a ghost image, or if not possible in
    >>> nero can anyone recommend a program to do the job?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>

    >> I'll make it simple now that we all know what you want to do. Get
    >> Acronis True Image. From it, you can burn a bootable CD for
    >> emergencies and then the program can run from that CD to find and
    >> reinstall the image you saved on the USB device. True Image can make
    >> a single compressed image or it can be partitioned. If you need only
    >> a single file restored from the image it can search the directory and
    >> allow you to find and restore as little as a single file. It runs
    >> inside of Windows unlike some others and is user friendly and pretty
    >> inexpensive.

    >Being able to locate and restore a specific file does make it a good option.
    >I've not used it, since I use Backup MyPC (formerly Vertitas Backup Exec).
    >The disadvantage I've seen with the "cloning" or imaging software is that a
    >full drive image is huge, compared to incremental backups, which I prefer.
    >Does True Image allow updating of an image with files that have changed,
    >rather than re-imaging the whole disk?

    Tim

    True Image will do a full image backup and can be setup to just backup
    changed files. The catch if it is one is you cannot select files or
    folders just drives. I use True Image and have 3 profiles.
    Profile 1 is full image of drive C: and D: this runs every Sunday
    Profile 2 makes an Image of changed files on drive C: and D: this runs
    everyday of the week except Sunday.
    Profile 3 is a full image of drive C: which I manually run before I
    make any changes to my system, (Win updates, new programs, testing
    programs and the like.)
    Example of file sizes:
    Profile 1= 5,442,699 kb done on Sunday
    Profile 2 = 252,680 kb done of Monday
    the Profile 2 files for a week range from 126,346 to 317,228 kb

    Star@*.*, Jul 25, 2006
  9. John Lord

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Star@*.* wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 11:33:53 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Gary wrote:

    >>> I'll make it simple now that we all know what you want to do. Get
    >>> Acronis True Image. From it, you can burn a bootable CD for
    >>> emergencies and then the program can run from that CD to find and
    >>> reinstall the image you saved on the USB device. True Image can make
    >>> a single compressed image or it can be partitioned. If you need only
    >>> a single file restored from the image it can search the directory
    >>> and allow you to find and restore as little as a single file. It
    >>> runs inside of Windows unlike some others and is user friendly and
    >>> pretty inexpensive.

    >> Being able to locate and restore a specific file does make it a good
    >> option. I've not used it, since I use Backup MyPC (formerly Vertitas
    >> Backup Exec). The disadvantage I've seen with the "cloning" or
    >> imaging software is that a full drive image is huge, compared to
    >> incremental backups, which I prefer. Does True Image allow updating
    >> of an image with files that have changed, rather than re-imaging the
    >> whole disk?

    > Tim
    >
    > True Image will do a full image backup and can be setup to just backup
    > changed files. The catch if it is one is you cannot select files or
    > folders just drives.

    Ah - that would be the difference between imaging software and backup
    software. I seldom (if ever) would do an image of the OS files, just data
    folders, manually selected.

    I use True Image and have 3 profiles.
    > Profile 1 is full image of drive C: and D: this runs every Sunday
    > Profile 2 makes an Image of changed files on drive C: and D: this runs
    > everyday of the week except Sunday.
    > Profile 3 is a full image of drive C: which I manually run before I
    > make any changes to my system, (Win updates, new programs, testing
    > programs and the like.)
    > Example of file sizes:
    > Profile 1= 5,442,699 kb done on Sunday
    > Profile 2 = 252,680 kb done of Monday
    > the Profile 2 files for a week range from 126,346 to 317,228 kb

    The 1 and 2 profiles are very similar to the network backup routine at work.
    GFS - grandfather, father, son routine. A new tape at the beginning of the
    month, full backup (of last month's data) and it goes in the fireproof
    vault. Daily incremental tapes (changed files) kept only one week, weekly
    tapes on each Friday night kept one week. So far it's worked fine.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 25, 2006
  10. John Lord

    Guest

    Hi,

    Take a look at our data backup software - DoubleSafety
    (http://www.doublesafety.com/). It has an intuitive interface, so you
    didn't spend much time to set it up.

    , Jul 29, 2006