    Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I don't mind
    paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to try first. Thanks
    so much.
    Tass, Jun 29, 2006

  2. Tass

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:30:50 GMT, "Tass" <> wrote:

    >I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I use
    >Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I don't mind
    >paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to try first. Thanks
    >so much.

    I've used Novastor, but the most important question is what are you
    backing up to? And what is your skill level with computers?
    Evan Platt, Jun 30, 2006

  3. Tass

    Tass Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:30:50 GMT, "Tass" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I use
    >>Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I don't mind
    >>paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to try first. Thanks
    >>so much.

    > I've used Novastor, but the most important question is what are you
    > backing up to? And what is your skill level with computers?

    I have an extra larger harddrive in the same tower. My skills are limited
    but I do my own maintenance and spyware checks etc.
    Tass, Jun 30, 2006
  4. Tass

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Tass wrote:
    > I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I
    > use Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I
    > don't mind paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to
    > try first. Thanks so much.

    PC-Backup - http://www.stompsoft.com/pc-backup/

    I used the predecessor to the above ("Backup MyPC") for years, even when it
    was "Veritas Backup". Since I had tape drives at the time, it was an
    excellent solution.

    EMC Dantz Retrospect - http://www.emcinsignia.com/try/

    The Retrospect "Express 7.5" version is probably adequate for most users.
    I've not tried this yet, but Western Digital is going to give me a free
    copy...thanks to a a class action suit <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jun 30, 2006
  5. Tass

    02befree Guest

    How about the Backup program that comes with Windows XP.
    Details here.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

    02befree, Jun 30, 2006
  6. Tass

    Toolman Tim Guest

    02befree wrote:
    > How about the Backup program that comes with Windows XP.
    > Details here.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

    Yeah, it's free. But it doesn't have a nice automatic scheduler. I imagine
    someone could use Windows task scheduler though...

    Toolman Tim, Jun 30, 2006
  7. Tass

    art2u Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:30:50 +0000, Tass wrote:

    > I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I use
    > Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I don't mind
    > paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to try first. Thanks
    > so much.

    Cobian Backup is a multi-threaded program that can be used to schedule and backup your files and directories from their original location to other directories/drives in the same computer or other computer in your network. FTP backup is also supported in both directions (download and upload).

    http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

    or

    http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

    * A Win95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003 utility which runs in command line mode.
    * Comes with a 16-bit version (XXCOPY16).
    (XXCOPY16.EXE copies files using the short (8.3 format) name only.)
    * Duplicates the entire system drive which can boot Win9x (xxtb #10).
    * Keeps the same short name (8.3) in the destination as in the source (xxtb #03).
    * The source specifier accepts wildcards in directory names also (xxtb #28).
    * Backs up directory incrementally without the use of archive bit. (xxtb #06).
    * Synchronizes directories (xxtb #20).
    * Controls file attributes (keeps the source, destination attributes or none).
    * Excludes directories or files from copying by wild cards(xxtb #05).
    * Handles a Cyclic Copy case much better than XCOPY (xxtb #07).
    * Qualifies files by file date/time (Before, On, or After) (xxtb #17).
    * Deletes files or directories using the same powerful selection mechanism (xxtb #12).
    * Copies hidden/system files, and overwrites Read-only files.
    * Flattens a directory tree into files in one directory (xxtb #16).
    * ... and many, many, intimidatingly more ... (over 200 command switches)
    * Copies security information for NTFS volume archiving.
    * Supersedes Microsoft's ROBOCOPY (xxtb #30).
    * Works very much like XCOPY with the same command syntax.
    * Available in two flavors; Freeware and Pro Edition (see below).

    -Art- (not Art)
    art2u, Jun 30, 2006
  8. Tass

    Tass Guest

    When I got my computer brand new from Futureshop in Canada I got one disc
    that was labelled Recovery Disc with contains the operating system (Windows
    XP) and essential programs that were loaded on the computer. I did not get
    a Windows XP disc. I checked...my computer...all
    programs...accessories...system tools...backup--- and it was not there as
    the link to the Microsoft site said it would be. Any suggestions would be
    appreciated.

    Tass, Jun 30, 2006
  9. Tass

    Tony\(UK\) Guest

    "art2u" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:30:50 +0000, Tass wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I use
    >> Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I don't mind
    >> paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to try first.
    >> Thanks
    >> so much.

    One that I use is a little known (but very good) freeware programme called
    EZ Backitup from http://www.rdcomp.net/ezbackitup/index.php
    Although not updated as the author has returned to college, it has served me
    well over the years. It has a scheduler built in and is only 1.43Mb.

    Hope this helps,

    Tony(UK)
    Tony\(UK\), Jun 30, 2006
  10. Tass

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Tass wrote:
    > When I got my computer brand new from Futureshop in Canada I got one
    > disc that was labelled Recovery Disc with contains the operating
    > system (Windows XP) and essential programs that were loaded on the
    > computer. I did not get a Windows XP disc. I checked...my
    > computer...all programs...accessories...system tools...backup--- and
    > it was not there as the link to the Microsoft site said it would be. Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.

    Quite correct. Most of those discs are compressed images of the hard drive
    and do not have what you are looking for.

    You could borrow a Windows XP disc from a friend, coworker, family member,
    neighbor, etc. long enough to install the backup program. Or you could
    probably find a copy on the Internet, like this one:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/ntbackup.htm

    WARNING: I take no responsibility for the content of the above link or
    associated files. Be sure to scan the file with your antivirus software
    before using it.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 30, 2006
  11. Tass

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Tony(UK) wrote:
    > "art2u" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:30:50 +0000, Tass wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I
    >>> use Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I
    >>> don't mind paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to
    >>> try first. Thanks
    >>> so much.

    > One that I use is a little known (but very good) freeware programme
    > called EZ Backitup from http://www.rdcomp.net/ezbackitup/index.php
    > Although not updated as the author has returned to college, it has
    > served me well over the years. It has a scheduler built in and is
    > only 1.43Mb.
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Tony(UK)

    Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't thought of that, but is an excellent
    idea.

    That program provides functions similar to Karen's Replicator, and many
    other file replication programs. As long as compression and other features
    are not required, they are in fact very good alternatives. I use Karen's
    Replicator, and SyncBack (two different systems) to automate backups from my
    laptop to my desktop (at home) and from my workstation to the server (at
    work). I don't need compression in this case, since the drive capacity isn't
    an issue - just having adequate backup copies of the files.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 30, 2006
  12. Tass

    clot Guest

    Tass wrote:
    > I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I
    > use Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I
    > don't mind paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to
    > try first. Thanks so much.

    As Evan Platt suggested, it depends what exactly you wish to do.

    I have two HDDs in my tower. I only use the primary on a daily basis and
    weekly back-up to the second using Acronis TI, having "cleaned" the C
    drive first.

    It serves my needs - well just! I ought to back-up to an external HDD so
    that I can keep the program files and my data secure so that if anything
    major did happen to the tower, I could be up and running quite quickly
    with all my important info. secure.

    clot, Jul 1, 2006
  13. Tass

    Tony\(UK\) Guest

    "clot" <> wrote in message
    > Tass wrote:
    >> I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I
    >> use Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I
    >> don't mind paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to
    >> try first. Thanks so much.

    > As Evan Platt suggested, it depends what exactly you wish to do.
    >
    > I have two HDDs in my tower. I only use the primary on a daily basis and
    > weekly back-up to the second using Acronis TI, having "cleaned" the C
    > drive first.
    >
    > It serves my needs - well just! I ought to back-up to an external HDD so
    > that I can keep the program files and my data secure so that if anything
    > major did happen to the tower, I could be up and running quite quickly
    > with all my important info. secure.

    And if the OP wanted a really good imaging software for the whole drive
    (which I didn't think he did), see my reponse in the earlier 'Bootable
    Image' thread

    Wab
    Tony\(UK\), Jul 1, 2006
  14. Tass

    Tony\(UK\) Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Tony(UK) wrote:
    >> "art2u" <> wrote in message

    >> One that I use is a little known (but very good) freeware programme
    >> called EZ Backitup from http://www.rdcomp.net/ezbackitup/index.php
    >> Although not updated as the author has returned to college, it has
    >> served me well over the years. It has a scheduler built in and is
    >> only 1.43Mb.
    >> Hope this helps,
    >>
    >> Tony(UK)

    > Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't thought of that, but is an excellent
    > idea.
    >
    > That program provides functions similar to Karen's Replicator, and many
    > other file replication programs. As long as compression and other features
    > are not required, they are in fact very good alternatives. I use Karen's
    > Replicator, and SyncBack (two different systems) to automate backups from
    > my laptop to my desktop (at home) and from my workstation to the server
    > (at work). I don't need compression in this case, since the drive capacity
    > isn't an issue - just having adequate backup copies of the files.

    That's the way I do it here, Toolman. I used to use the software you
    mention, but changed over to EZ Backitup. I don't use compression, and I
    wonder too if there is a need to nowadays.

    Wab
    Tony\(UK\), Jul 1, 2006
  15. Tass

    clot Guest

    Tony(UK) wrote:
    > "clot" <> wrote in message
    >> Tass wrote:
    >>> I am looking for a simple backup program for all types of files. I
    >>> use Windows XP Home and use Norton for firewall and anti-virus. I
    >>> don't mind paying, it doesn't have to be free, but I would like to
    >>> try first. Thanks so much.

    >> As Evan Platt suggested, it depends what exactly you wish to do.
    >>
    >> I have two HDDs in my tower. I only use the primary on a daily basis
    >> and weekly back-up to the second using Acronis TI, having "cleaned"
    >> the C drive first.
    >>
    >> It serves my needs - well just! I ought to back-up to an external
    >> HDD so that I can keep the program files and my data secure so that
    >> if anything major did happen to the tower, I could be up and running
    >> quite quickly with all my important info. secure.

    > And if the OP wanted a really good imaging software for the whole
    > drive (which I didn't think he did), see my reponse in the earlier
    > 'Bootable Image' thread

    Acknowledged!
    clot, Jul 1, 2006