    pain.

    Thanks for your help.
    IT

    Internet Traveler, Feb 20, 2006

  2. Internet Traveler

    Robert Baer Guest

    Internet Traveler wrote:

    > Need a backup program that can easily find program generated files for
    > backup.
    > The usual word, excel, but also all the picture file formats.
    > Do not need to back up the programs that generate the files.
    > I use Roxio CD/DVD program but I have to specify each time I backup, what a
    > pain.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    > IT

    You would be better served if you buy another hard drive the same
    size (or larger) than what you have, get a "HDD mobile rack" (outer case
    fits in 5.25 slot, carrier holds HD and fits in case; also called
    "removeable HD kit") and use GhostPE or DriveCopy other HD copying software.
    ON regular occasions, shut down the system, install the hard drive
    (in carrier) and enable it (with key), and boot with HD copy SW floppy
    and make a full copy.
    When done, shut down, remove the HD/carrier and put it in a safe place.
    *WHEN* the master HD goes bad (and the process can take from less
    than a minute to a few hours at most),you have an exact and *bootable*
    copy less what ever items added since the last time you did a BACKUP COPY.
    No BS about getting another HD yesterday, no BS about installing an
    OS, no BS about installing drivers to support tape or other expensive
    backup hardware; save hours to days (spelled "daze").
    I have done this for over ten years, both for myself and others that
    i have built system for.
    It takes a few minutes to replace a bad HD with the BACKUP COPY from
    the carrier and there is no hassle.
    And if the backup drive was chosen to be larger because the user felt
    that more space was needed, then that "upgrade" becones a part of the
    replacement.
    And changing motherboards for upgrades in speed and processor was
    simple also.
    With a new MB, the OS usually installed the new drivers without
    asking for the CD; sometimes one needed to use the MB makers CD or a new
    video card makers CD on an upgrade.
    I have all of my HDs in a "mobile rack" so there are two installed in
    each of my computers; Primary Master and Secondary Master (have CD or
    DVD drives on the secondaries) and all drives are jumpered as
    Master-with-slave, as the older computers do not recognize "cable select".

    Robert Baer, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Internet Traveler

    mel Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Internet Traveler wrote:
    >
    > > Need a backup program that can easily find program generated files for
    > > backup.
    > > The usual word, excel, but also all the picture file formats.
    > > Do not need to back up the programs that generate the files.
    > > I use Roxio CD/DVD program but I have to specify each time I backup,

    what a
    > > pain.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.
    > > IT
    > >

    > You would be better served if you buy another hard drive the same
    > size (or larger) than what you have, get a "HDD mobile rack" (outer case
    > fits in 5.25 slot, carrier holds HD and fits in case; also called
    > "removeable HD kit") and use GhostPE or DriveCopy other HD copying

    software.
    > ON regular occasions, shut down the system, install the hard drive
    > (in carrier) and enable it (with key), and boot with HD copy SW floppy
    > and make a full copy.
    > When done, shut down, remove the HD/carrier and put it in a safe place.
    > *WHEN* the master HD goes bad (and the process can take from less
    > than a minute to a few hours at most),you have an exact and *bootable*
    > copy less what ever items added since the last time you did a BACKUP COPY.
    > No BS about getting another HD yesterday, no BS about installing an
    > OS, no BS about installing drivers to support tape or other expensive
    > backup hardware; save hours to days (spelled "daze").
    > I have done this for over ten years, both for myself and others that
    > i have built system for.
    > It takes a few minutes to replace a bad HD with the BACKUP COPY from
    > the carrier and there is no hassle.
    > And if the backup drive was chosen to be larger because the user felt
    > that more space was needed, then that "upgrade" becones a part of the
    > replacement.
    > And changing motherboards for upgrades in speed and processor was
    > simple also.
    > With a new MB, the OS usually installed the new drivers without
    > asking for the CD; sometimes one needed to use the MB makers CD or a new
    > video card makers CD on an upgrade.
    > I have all of my HDs in a "mobile rack" so there are two installed in
    > each of my computers; Primary Master and Secondary Master (have CD or
    > DVD drives on the secondaries) and all drives are jumpered as
    > Master-with-slave, as the older computers do not recognize "cable select".

    Hi
    " and use GhostPE or DriveCopy other HD copying software" do you have a
    preference

    Mel

    mel, Feb 21, 2006