    WinXP & Easy CD/Direct CD just locks it up even with the update. I don't
    have a ton of money to spend on programs so shareware or freeware is great.

    Thanks
    dispatcher, Nov 15, 2003

  2. dispatcher

    °Mike° Guest

    Files backup up/copied to CD are automatically marked
    'Read Only'. That is the nature of the beast. It has
    nothing to do with the backup program.

    On 15 Nov 2003 16:33:11 GMT, in
    <Xns9434610FF8CFFdispatcher51softhome@130.133.1.4>
    dispatcher scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 15, 2003

  3. dispatcher

    Mike Simpson Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Files backup up/copied to CD are automatically marked
    > 'Read Only'. That is the nature of the beast. It has
    > nothing to do with the backup program.
    >

    > On 15 Nov 2003 16:33:11 GMT, in
    > <Xns9434610FF8CFFdispatcher51softhome@130.133.1.4>
    > dispatcher scrawled:
    >
    > >Does anyone know of a good program to backup files onto a CD that doesn't
    > >make the files "read only"? I have tried several & they all seem to make the
    > >disk "read only" & not overwrite old files with updated files. I'm running
    > >WinXP & Easy CD/Direct CD just locks it up even with the update. I don't
    > >have a ton of money to spend on programs so shareware or freeware is great.
    > >
    > >Thanks

    However there's a riny file that, according to its readme text, does
    this:

    This tiny file is used to add a 'Clear Read Only flag'
    context menu item to all folders within Windows Explorer.

    You don't need any executable files - it's all here!

    Double click on readonly.reg to load it into your registry.

    From then on, all you have to do is right click a folder
    and choose 'Clear Read Only flag' to clear the Read Only
    flag on all files in all subfolders!

    Get it from www.crystalsoftware.com.au
    Mike Simpson, Nov 15, 2003
  4. dispatcher

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:47:32 -0000, in
    <>
    Mike Simpson scrawled:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Files backup up/copied to CD are automatically marked
    >> 'Read Only'. That is the nature of the beast. It has
    >> nothing to do with the backup program.
    >>

    >> On 15 Nov 2003 16:33:11 GMT, in
    >> <Xns9434610FF8CFFdispatcher51softhome@130.133.1.4>
    >> dispatcher scrawled:
    >>
    >> >Does anyone know of a good program to backup files onto a CD that doesn't
    >> >make the files "read only"? I have tried several & they all seem to make the
    >> >disk "read only" & not overwrite old files with updated files. I'm running
    >> >WinXP & Easy CD/Direct CD just locks it up even with the update. I don't
    >> >have a ton of money to spend on programs so shareware or freeware is great.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks

    >However there's a riny file that, according to its readme text, does
    >this:
    >
    >This tiny file is used to add a 'Clear Read Only flag'
    >context menu item to all folders within Windows Explorer.
    >
    >You don't need any executable files - it's all here!
    >
    >Double click on readonly.reg to load it into your registry.
    >
    >From then on, all you have to do is right click a folder
    >and choose 'Clear Read Only flag' to clear the Read Only
    >flag on all files in all subfolders!
    >

    >Get it from www.crystalsoftware.com.au

    That only applies to files stored on the hard drive, *not*
    on CD. And it can be done from a command prompt.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 15, 2003
  5. dispatcher

    gangle Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote in
    > Files backup up/copied to CD are automatically marked
    > 'Read Only'. That is the nature of the beast.

    Is this it?
    http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~frera/beast.jpg

    gangle, Nov 15, 2003
  6. dispatcher

    dispatcher Guest

    Mike Simpson <> wrote in

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Files backup up/copied to CD are automatically marked
    >> 'Read Only'. That is the nature of the beast. It has
    >> nothing to do with the backup program.
    >>

    >> On 15 Nov 2003 16:33:11 GMT, in
    >> <Xns9434610FF8CFFdispatcher51softhome@130.133.1.4>
    >> dispatcher scrawled:
    >>
    >> >Does anyone know of a good program to backup files onto a CD that
    >> >doesn't make the files "read only"? I have tried several & they all
    >> >seem to make the disk "read only" & not overwrite old files with
    >> >updated files. I'm running WinXP & Easy CD/Direct CD just locks it up
    >> >even with the update. I don't have a ton of money to spend on
    >> >programs so shareware or freeware is great.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks

    > However there's a riny file that, according to its readme text, does
    > this:
    >
    > This tiny file is used to add a 'Clear Read Only flag'
    > context menu item to all folders within Windows Explorer.
    >
    > You don't need any executable files - it's all here!
    >
    > Double click on readonly.reg to load it into your registry.
    >
    > From then on, all you have to do is right click a folder
    > and choose 'Clear Read Only flag' to clear the Read Only
    > flag on all files in all subfolders!
    >

    > Get it from www.crystalsoftware.com.au

    Thanks, I'll give it a try. Gets really irritating to keep buying disks
    cause I can't overwrite whit new stuff.
    dispatcher, Nov 15, 2003
  7. dispatcher

    °Mike° Guest