    Hi, i have an external hard drive that i wish to back up my pc to. should i
    just try to save the whole of the c drive on it or should i pick out things
    like oe and my photos? thanks
    jw 1111, Sep 20, 2005

  2. jw 1111

    Trent SC Guest

    > Hi, i have an external hard drive that i wish to back up my pc to. should
    > i just try to save the whole of the c drive on it or should i pick out
    > things like oe and my photos? thanks

    If you have the space on your external hard drive and the time to transfer
    the data across, there's no reason why you shouldn't bung everything over.
    Trent SC, Sep 20, 2005

  3. jw 1111

    Toolman Tim Guest

    jw 1111 wrote:
    > Hi, i have an external hard drive that i wish to back up my pc to.
    > should i just try to save the whole of the c drive on it or should i
    > pick out things like oe and my photos? thanks

    Get your data only. Unless you are using drive imaging software (Norton
    Ghost or similar) having the installed OS and software on backup isn't much
    help since (for the most part) you would have to reinstall it from scratch
    for the software to run correctly.

    Other things to think about: WAB (Windows Address Book), Favorites, programs
    that save data to places other than My Documents, etc.
    Toolman Tim, Sep 20, 2005
  4. jw 1111

    SgtMinor Guest

    jw 1111 wrote:

    > Hi, i have an external hard drive that i wish to back up my pc to. should i
    > just try to save the whole of the c drive on it or should i pick out things
    > like oe and my photos? thanks

    Copying the entire ball of wax over to another drive may seem to be an
    easy solution, but how are you going to make incremental backups - of
    changed data files - in the future?

    Take a look here for some backup strategies: "Windows XP Backup
    Strategies For Home Users" http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/backup/1.htm
    SgtMinor, Sep 20, 2005
  5. jw 1111

    JohnnyBoyClub

    Joined:
    May 26, 2010
    Messages:
    4
    Well only you can answer at that question . do you need all the files from your hdd or you need just specific files ?

    To simple backup your hdd use : Dmailer Backup Software

    Is good for both backing up all of your hdd or any files you need , and you also be able to store it online on their servers.
    JohnnyBoyClub, Jun 11, 2010
  6. jw 1111

    geek12

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    I use and recommend Handy Backup (handybackup.net), it's easy and reliable software for backup to external hard drive, and works great.
    geek12, Jul 13, 2010