    one-half the size of the source, since i will know the DATA (programs
    included) will fit with space to spare.
    Suggestions?

    Robert Baer, Jan 15, 2014

  2. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    On 1/14/2014 10:08 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
    > I have been using Parted (named something like that) and it is FAST and works for actual COPY/CLONE work (do not like image).
    > But there is a problem - if the destination HD size is less than the source (absolutely NO consideration for data size), then it dies and so is useless.
    > I want a version that will work even if the destination HD is one-half the size of the source, since i will know the DATA (programs included) will fit with space to spare.
    > Suggestions?

    Simple.

    Macrium Reflect Free.

    1) Prepare the rescue CD (WAIK based) on a modern OS.
    I doubt you'd be able to install it on Win2K.
    2) Once you have the CD in hand, you can boot the computer
    with the CD. And clone to a smaller drive.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 15, 2014

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > On 1/14/2014 10:08 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
    >> I have been using Parted (named something like that) and it is FAST
    >> and works for actual COPY/CLONE work (do not like image).
    >> But there is a problem - if the destination HD size is less than the
    >> source (absolutely NO consideration for data size), then it dies and
    >> so is useless.
    >> I want a version that will work even if the destination HD is one-half
    >> the size of the source, since i will know the DATA (programs included)
    >> will fit with space to spare.
    >> Suggestions?

    > Simple.
    >
    > Macrium Reflect Free.
    >
    > 1) Prepare the rescue CD (WAIK based) on a modern OS.
    > I doubt you'd be able to install it on Win2K.
    > 2) Once you have the CD in hand, you can boot the computer
    > with the CD. And clone to a smaller drive.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    I DO like what is said about that, as well as the tone of their ads.
    BUT.
    As far as i know,there is absolutely NO program (free or otherwise)
    that is made to run in Win2K.
    Do you mean "Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7"?
    If so, using Win 7 which i have, would it be possible to create this
    Macrium copy/clone disk - and then use it without regard to the OSes on
    a hard drive?
    On some of my hard drives,i have multiple OSes (PCDOS, Win3.11,
    Win98SE, Win2K, Win7).
    Acronis is pure garbage for multiple OS HDs; the result is so bad it
    is almost impossible to patch for usability (discounting the PITA
    involved); GhostPE 2000 is far better by an order of magnitude or so and
    the Linux copy programs (Clonezilla, Parted,etc) all do a perfect job
    providing the destination HD is larger than the source HD.

    Robert Baer, Jan 15, 2014
  4. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> On 1/14/2014 10:08 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
    >>> I have been using Parted (named something like that) and it is FAST
    >>> and works for actual COPY/CLONE work (do not like image).
    >>> But there is a problem - if the destination HD size is less than the
    >>> source (absolutely NO consideration for data size), then it dies and
    >>> so is useless.
    >>> I want a version that will work even if the destination HD is one-half
    >>> the size of the source, since i will know the DATA (programs included)
    >>> will fit with space to spare.
    >>> Suggestions?

    >> Simple.
    >>
    >> Macrium Reflect Free.
    >>
    >> 1) Prepare the rescue CD (WAIK based) on a modern OS.
    >> I doubt you'd be able to install it on Win2K.
    >> 2) Once you have the CD in hand, you can boot the computer
    >> with the CD. And clone to a smaller drive.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> Paul
    >>

    > I DO like what is said about that, as well as the tone of their ads.
    > BUT.
    > As far as i know,there is absolutely NO program (free or otherwise)
    > that is made to run in Win2K.
    > Do you mean "Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7"?
    > If so, using Win 7 which i have, would it be possible to create this
    > Macrium copy/clone disk - and then use it without regard to the OSes on
    > a hard drive?
    > On some of my hard drives,i have multiple OSes (PCDOS, Win3.11,
    > Win98SE, Win2K, Win7).
    > Acronis is pure garbage for multiple OS HDs; the result is so bad it
    > is almost impossible to patch for usability (discounting the PITA
    > involved); GhostPE 2000 is far better by an order of magnitude or so and
    > the Linux copy programs (Clonezilla, Parted,etc) all do a perfect job
    > providing the destination HD is larger than the source HD.

    The idea is, you use your Windows 7 computer, to download and
    install Macrium. The program will certainly work there, and
    you could back up any disks on your Windows 7 system.

    Any time you use Macrium, you make a "rescue CD". That is a CD
    that can boot multiple computers. If you use the WAIK version,
    the boot disk runs a version of WinPE.

    OK, now lets say we made the WAIK based CD, like the Macrium tool
    will prompt you for during installation. It'll download 35+100MB
    of stuff or so. Now, you use the option in the interface, to
    make the rescue disc. You take the ISO9660 file and use your favorite
    burner, to burn a CDROM from the converted file. You don't just
    drag and drop that file, it has to be converted. Nero of Imgburn (free)
    can do that, as can many other CD burner programs. Just don't use
    the Windows built-in drag and drop, because that doesn't do the
    conversion needed. You need a CD program that knows how to
    convert the ISO9660 file.

    Now, you go over to the Win2K system. We know, that if you attempt
    to install the 35+100MB of downloaded stuff, Macrium will refuse to
    install on the computer. But, we have the Rescue CD. If you boot
    the Rescue CD, the tool can function from there. Macrium doesn't
    need an OS, to do things. It can be run from the CD. You boot
    the CD on your Win2K system, and you should be able to clone the
    main C: drive, to a second hard drive. And the target of the clone,
    should be able to be smaller than the source.

    That was my plan.

    The reason I selected this tool, is it doesn't need an OS. *But*
    you will need your Windows 7 machine, to prepare the CD. If all
    you had was a Win2K machine at your disposal, you'd be screwed,
    because Macrium program would not install, and you would not
    be able to build the Rescue CD. Once the Rescue CD is available
    to you, it can work on more hardware than the program would have
    been able to.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 15, 2014
  5. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
> [...]

    > to install the 35+100MB of downloaded stuff, Macrium will refuse to
    > install on the computer. But, we have the Rescue CD. If you boot
    > the Rescue CD, the tool can function from there. Macrium doesn't
    > need an OS, to do things. It can be run from the CD. You boot
    > the CD on your Win2K system, and you should be able to clone the
    > main C: drive, to a second hard drive. And the target of the clone,
    > should be able to be smaller than the source.
    >
    > That was my plan.
    >
    > The reason I selected this tool, is it doesn't need an OS. *But*
    > you will need your Windows 7 machine, to prepare the CD. If all
    > you had was a Win2K machine at your disposal, you'd be screwed,
    > because Macrium program would not install, and you would not
    > be able to build the Rescue CD. Once the Rescue CD is available
    > to you, it can work on more hardware than the program would have

    Great!
    Thanks!
    I have a number of hard drives,and Win7 is on one, and twice on
    another - so no problem.

    Robert Baer, Jan 15, 2014
  6. Robert Baer

    Guest

    , Jan 17, 2014
  7. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Robert Baer, Jan 18, 2014
  8. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
> [...]

    > to install the 35+100MB of downloaded stuff, Macrium will refuse to
    > install on the computer. But, we have the Rescue CD. If you boot
    > the Rescue CD, the tool can function from there. Macrium doesn't
    > need an OS, to do things. It can be run from the CD. You boot
    > the CD on your Win2K system, and you should be able to clone the
    > main C: drive, to a second hard drive. And the target of the clone,
    > should be able to be smaller than the source.
    >
    > That was my plan.
    >
    > The reason I selected this tool, is it doesn't need an OS. *But*
    > you will need your Windows 7 machine, to prepare the CD. If all
    > you had was a Win2K machine at your disposal, you'd be screwed,
    > because Macrium program would not install, and you would not
    > be able to build the Rescue CD. Once the Rescue CD is available
    > to you, it can work on more hardware than the program would have

    I used Win7, downloaded the downloader (STUPID! should be one pass!),
    installed and ran Macrium.
    Noodled around and found pull-down where "rescue CD" was,followed the
    yellow brick road and made a CD. Did not see anything regarding "auto"
    or "pre-built".
    Shut down, used 2 scratch drives and booted with the rescue CD.
    Find that it will NOT COPY/CLONE.
    Tossed the whole thing.
    Sorry.

    Robert Baer, Jan 18, 2014
  9. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > I used Win7, downloaded the downloader (STUPID! should be one pass!),
    > installed and ran Macrium.
    > Noodled around and found pull-down where "rescue CD" was,followed the
    > yellow brick road and made a CD. Did not see anything regarding "auto"
    > or "pre-built".
    > Shut down, used 2 scratch drives and booted with the rescue CD.
    > Find that it will NOT COPY/CLONE.
    > Tossed the whole thing.
    > Sorry.

    http://i43.tinypic.com/oro0p0.gif

    http://i42.tinypic.com/2ursg7t.gif

    http://i39.tinypic.com/2hhhgzo.gif

    http://i42.tinypic.com/4uszgw.gif

    http://i42.tinypic.com/21e0vwh.gif

    http://i41.tinypic.com/2s9yl39.gif

    http://i40.tinypic.com/35mpi8o.gif

    http://i44.tinypic.com/xp1p2u.gif

    Burn the CD, boot the computer with the (WinPE) CD.
    Select Disk Image and look to the right for a Clone option.

    http://i44.tinypic.com/j8nrso.gif

    *******

    You will likely need to remove the software,
    use the reflectdl.exe downloader again, to get
    the whole thing. As one of the pictures shows,
    it should be 138MB or so.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 18, 2014
  10. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >> I used Win7, downloaded the downloader (STUPID! should be one pass!),
    >> installed and ran Macrium.
    >> Noodled around and found pull-down where "rescue CD" was,followed the
    >> yellow brick road and made a CD. Did not see anything regarding "auto"
    >> or "pre-built".
    >> Shut down, used 2 scratch drives and booted with the rescue CD.
    >> Find that it will NOT COPY/CLONE.
    >> Tossed the whole thing.
    >> Sorry.
    >>

    > http://i43.tinypic.com/oro0p0.gif
    >
    > http://i42.tinypic.com/2ursg7t.gif
    >
    > http://i39.tinypic.com/2hhhgzo.gif
    >
    > http://i42.tinypic.com/4uszgw.gif
    >
    > http://i42.tinypic.com/21e0vwh.gif
    >
    > http://i41.tinypic.com/2s9yl39.gif
    >
    > http://i40.tinypic.com/35mpi8o.gif
    >
    > http://i44.tinypic.com/xp1p2u.gif
    >
    > Burn the CD, boot the computer with the (WinPE) CD.
    > Select Disk Image and look to the right for a Clone option.
    >
    > http://i44.tinypic.com/j8nrso.gif
    >
    > *******
    >
    > You will likely need to remove the software,
    > use the reflectdl.exe downloader again, to get
    > the whole thing. As one of the pictures shows,
    > it should be 138MB or so.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Thanks; have made prints of the steps to follow.
    Will retry.

    Robert Baer, Jan 18, 2014
  11. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:
    >>
    >>> I used Win7, downloaded the downloader (STUPID! should be one pass!),
    >>> installed and ran Macrium.
    >>> Noodled around and found pull-down where "rescue CD" was,followed the
    >>> yellow brick road and made a CD. Did not see anything regarding "auto"
    >>> or "pre-built".
    >>> Shut down, used 2 scratch drives and booted with the rescue CD.
    >>> Find that it will NOT COPY/CLONE.
    >>> Tossed the whole thing.
    >>> Sorry.
    >>>

    >> http://i43.tinypic.com/oro0p0.gif
    >>
    >> http://i42.tinypic.com/2ursg7t.gif
    >>
    >> http://i39.tinypic.com/2hhhgzo.gif
    >>
    >> http://i42.tinypic.com/4uszgw.gif
    >>
    >> http://i42.tinypic.com/21e0vwh.gif
    >>
    >> http://i41.tinypic.com/2s9yl39.gif
    >>
    >> http://i40.tinypic.com/35mpi8o.gif
    >>
    >> http://i44.tinypic.com/xp1p2u.gif
    >>
    >> Burn the CD, boot the computer with the (WinPE) CD.
    >> Select Disk Image and look to the right for a Clone option.
    >>
    >> http://i44.tinypic.com/j8nrso.gif
    >>
    >> *******
    >>
    >> You will likely need to remove the software,
    >> use the reflectdl.exe downloader again, to get
    >> the whole thing. As one of the pictures shows,
    >> it should be 138MB or so.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> Paul

    > Thanks; have made prints of the steps to follow.
    > Will retry.

    Thanks!
    It works, at least for a one-OS hard drive; eventually i will try a
    multi-OS and multi-format HD.
    Use is a bit off the beaten path, but not too much so.

    Robert Baer, Jan 20, 2014
  12. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Paul wrote:

    >>> http://i43.tinypic.com/oro0p0.gif
    >>>
    >>> http://i42.tinypic.com/2ursg7t.gif
    >>>
    >>> http://i39.tinypic.com/2hhhgzo.gif
    >>>
    >>> http://i42.tinypic.com/4uszgw.gif
    >>>
    >>> http://i42.tinypic.com/21e0vwh.gif
    >>>
    >>> http://i41.tinypic.com/2s9yl39.gif
    >>>
    >>> http://i40.tinypic.com/35mpi8o.gif
    >>>
    >>> http://i44.tinypic.com/xp1p2u.gif
    >>>
    >>> Burn the CD, boot the computer with the (WinPE) CD.
    >>> Select Disk Image and look to the right for a Clone option.
    >>>
    >>> http://i44.tinypic.com/j8nrso.gif
    >>>
    >>> *******
    >>>
    >>> You will likely need to remove the software,
    >>> use the reflectdl.exe downloader again, to get
    >>> the whole thing. As one of the pictures shows,
    >>> it should be 138MB or so.
    >>>
    >>> HTH,
    >>> Paul

    >> Thanks; have made prints of the steps to follow.
    >> Will retry.
    >>

    > Thanks!
    > It works, at least for a one-OS hard drive; eventually i will try a
    > multi-OS and multi-format HD.
    > Use is a bit off the beaten path, but not too much so.

    Another happy customer :)

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 20, 2014