Backup Int help

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by rhltechie@gmail.com, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,

    I have a working config on a remote office 1701 right now. I plan to
    move the adsl wic to a new 1841 and use it as a backup. assuming the
    dialer0 is setup correctly and I am adding a two port T1 wic for
    bonding two T1's, can I use the following config? I was unsure if you
    could use CEF to bond two T's and still use the backup int command.

    ip cef
    !
    !
    interface Serial0/0
    ip address 1.1.1.10 255.255.255.252
    backup delay 10 30
    backup interface Dialer0
    no ip directed-broadcast
    ip load-sharing per-packet
    no ip mroute-cache
    service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
    !
    interface Serial0/1
    ip address 1.1.1.14 255.255.255.252
    backup delay 10 30
    backup interface Dialer0
    no ip directed-broadcast
    ip load-sharing per-packet
    no ip mroute-cache
    service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/1
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0 200

    TIA,

    , Feb 14, 2006

  2. Merv Guest

    CEF does not "bond" interfaces.

    It will load-balancing per destination over equal-cost multiple-paths
    (ECMP).

    You may wish to take look at MLPPP with respect to its load-balancing
    capabilities as it may provide improved load-balancing over CEF
    depending on the source-destination prefixes being used in your network.

    Merv, Feb 14, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I checked on MLPPP, it is not generally
    available without some major red tape. I understand the technology,
    sorry for the terminology mix up with bonding and load balancing. Will
    either work with the backup int command?

    , Feb 14, 2006
  4. Merv Guest

    I am not sure about two T1 interfaces and the backup command.

    You need to consider the sitatuion where only 1 T1 goes down, you
    probably do not want to use the backup interface in that case ...

    Take a look at using the dialer watch feature to trigger the dial
    interface only when both T1 go away

    Merv, Feb 14, 2006
  5. Guest

    hmm, yeah I didnt even think about that. Thanks for the info. I have
    done some light reading on the dialer watch feature.

    Thanks!

    , Feb 14, 2006