    Fido Guest

    If I copy my C drive (win on D).on DVDs..using Nero..will I be able to use
    this as a backup to restore C at some future date?
    Fido, Sep 2, 2005

  2. Fido

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Fido wrote:
    > If I copy my C drive (win on D).on DVDs..using Nero..will I be able
    > to use this as a backup to restore C at some future date?

    Nope. That's not a good method. Here's why:

    1) Doing a copy of files from a hard drive to a DVD or CD makes them read
    only. Copying them back to a hard drive requires that the read only
    attribute be turned off. Tedious.

    2) There are usually files on a hard drive that must be located at specific
    places. Copying to a DVD then writing them back to the HD is not going to
    put them where they belong.

    What you need is backup or drive imaging software. Sonic or Stompsoft sell
    sell something called "Backup MyPC". Norton has something called "Ghost".
    Either option will eliminate the problems above.

    Ghost, and programs like it, is able to make a bootable disk that will boot
    the computer, and copy your data back from the DVD (or whatever media you
    use) exactly like it was when the copy was made.

    Backup MyPC may be able to do similar, although I've never tried it that
    way. I use it to do data backups only. So if my hard drive dies, I put a new
    one in, and reinstall Windows, reinstall my applications, reinstall Backup
    MyPC, and reload the data, and re-configure everything to run like it used
    to. It is not as effective or as easy as the drive image software in the
    case of a total crash.

    (I use Backup MyPC to 'archive' data files, not really as protection against
    a serious drive failure.)

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005

  3. Fido

    s_powelson Guest

    Thanks Tim...I have on old version of Ghost that I used on my win98
    machine...not sure if it will work with xp

    s_powelson, Sep 3, 2005
  4. Fido

    Jonty Guest

    Yes nero will back it up. I recommend version 6 reloaded.

    ComputerWiz Fixes!

    Jonty, Sep 3, 2005