    computer is a AMD 3200+ based system, running windows XP home.

    Is it fairly quick to back up to one of these drives.

    Thanks
    David Wells, Apr 17, 2004

  2. David Wells

    Thor Guest

    "David Wells" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have seen some of these external drives around 80 gigs USB 2 that
    > claim one button back up for your hard drive. If my memory serves me
    > correctly they were Maxor or Western Digtal external. I have 2 WD 120
    > gig in a raid 0 set up so show as 240. Has anyone used this kind of
    > set up for back up. At present I have about 15gigs to back up. My
    > computer is a AMD 3200+ based system, running windows XP home.
    >
    > Is it fairly quick to back up to one of these drives.

    At USB 2.0 speeds, absolutely. How does up to 60 megabytes/sec grab you?
    Thor, Apr 18, 2004

  3. David Wells

    S.Heenan Guest

    David Wells wrote:
    > I have seen some of these external drives around 80 gigs USB 2 that
    > claim one button back up for your hard drive. If my memory serves me
    > correctly they were Maxor or Western Digtal external. I have 2 WD 120
    > gig in a raid 0 set up so show as 240. Has anyone used this kind of
    > set up for back up. At present I have about 15gigs to back up. My
    > computer is a AMD 3200+ based system, running windows XP home.
    >
    > Is it fairly quick to back up to one of these drives.

    Backing up to an external USB2 or Firewire hard drive is quick. Since RAID0
    is not fault tolerant, backups are very important.
    Consumers tend to store massive amounts of information on their hard drives.
    Hard drives, being electro-mechanical devices, can and do fail. Data
    recovery is very expensive. It makes more sense to move the data to
    semi-permanent storage on DVD. Since a good quality DVD burner can be had
    for ~$120USD, I see no reason not to use this storage medium.
    S.Heenan, Apr 19, 2004