backup exe question

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by MikeF, Jan 1, 2004.

  1. MikeF

    MikeF Guest

    Does anyone know if backup from 2003 Server will run on Win 2000?
    And what files are needed besides the exe?
    thanks!

    BTW, Microsoft came up with a snappy name for something:
    "Sector Inspector (SecInspect.exe)
    SecInspect.exe is a command-line diagnostics tool that allows
    administrators to view the contents of master boot records, boot
    sectors, and IA64 GUID partition tables. Additional features include
    creating hex dumps of binary files and backup/restore of sector
    ranges.
    Quick Overview
    Sector Inspector is a flexible diagnostics tool for safely collecting
    disk and file system-related data for offline analysis. Sector
    Inspector has additional features that allow backup and restore of
    sector ranges for use with other disk editing tools. Because low-level
    disk access is performed, administrator privileges are required to use
    most features of Sector Inspector."

    Some guy who wrote a DOS prog called that 10 yrs ago will probably sue
    for eight million :)

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

    Mike
    MikeF, Jan 1, 2004

  2. ----- MikeF wrote: ----

    Does anyone know if backup from 2003 Server will run on Win 2000

    Yes. Easily. So I am not sure if we are thinking of the same thing. Are you talking about Backup Exec, or some other third party product, or the built-in backup product that I think you are referring to? Either works. Check www.veritas.com for more info on Backup Exec if you have to; I have 8.6 installed on some Windows 2003 boxes and it works a treat

    And what files are needed besides the exe

    This is the bit that I can't figure out what you mean. Are you planning on transferring files from one machine to another, rather than doing the install that the product ships with? If so, then it will not work. All backup products run specific dll and other files to talk to the hardware for starters. It is definitely NOT possible to move files from one Windows install to another
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=, Jan 2, 2004

  3. MikeF

    Laurence Guest

    If I understand correctly you want to use the Win2003
    backup utility on Win2K. No you cannot do it. Just moving
    the exe will not work. The utility is tied into the OS
    too deeply and the 2003 utility has features that are not
    compatable with 2K.
    Laurence, Jan 2, 2004
  4. MikeF

    MF Guest

    Apologies for not being clearer.

    Yes, I'm interested in using the backup program from Win 2003 in Win 2000,
    because it will recognize CD and DVD drives. I didn't think it would but
    couldn't find any articles about that on MS website.

    BTW, Marko, a few windows programs will run without being installed - a few
    if you copy the files, a few if they have been installed in a windows
    installation different from the one you're using when you invoke them. I
    just did the latter yesterday with Acrobat Reader. I didn't think that
    would work either, but tried it because the computer was not hooked to the
    internet and things like that have occasionally worked before, and it did.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    MF, Jan 2, 2004
  5. I am just curious, but why did you ask instead of
    just trying it ??

    Roger Abell [MVP], Jan 5, 2004
  6. ----- Roger Abell [MVP] wrote: -----

    I am just curious, but why did you ask instead of
    just trying it ??

    Thanks, Roger, that's one of the things that had me all confused. I assumed that the question wasn't written correctly when in fact it was.

    Mike - there are third party applications that will do what you want. Google search....
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=, Jan 5, 2004
  7. MikeF

    MikeF Guest

    "Roger Abell [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > I am just curious, but why did you ask instead of
    > just trying it ??

    Means and opportunity when the motive struck. I was looking over
    posts in this group when I wondered about it. I already have third
    party apps that will do it, but not running on that installation of
    Windows. So I was thinking about installing one, wondered if the
    2003 version would work, and just started typing :).

    Mike

    > "MF" <> wrote in message
    > > Apologies for not being clearer.
    > >
    > > Yes, I'm interested in using the backup program from Win 2003 in

    Win 2000,
    > > because it will recognize CD and DVD drives. I didn't think it

    would but
    > > couldn't find any articles about that on MS website.
    > >
    > > BTW, Marko, a few windows programs will run without being

    installed - a
    > few
    > > if you copy the files, a few if they have been installed in a

    windows
    > > installation different from the one you're using when you invoke

    them. I
    > > just did the latter yesterday with Acrobat Reader. I didn't think

    that
    > > would work either, but tried it because the computer was not

    hooked to
    > the
    > > internet and things like that have occasionally worked before, and

    it did.

    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > "MikeF" <> wrote in