    the backup disk, and works fine with the original disk.

    Any idea what's going on?

    , Jan 26, 2005

  2. Vanguard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Whenever I buy new software, I make a backup copy of the CD(s), you
    > know, just in case.
    >
    > One of my kids has a game, Atari Tonka Fire Fighter, that had the CD
    > develop a scratch, and it now locks up when it's played.
    >
    > No problem I figured. I put the backup CD into play.
    >
    > But the CD isn't getting "recognized." If I put it in the CD drive,
    > once the drive closes, the dialog to play the game comes up, but when
    > click "PLAY" nothing happens. Or if I double click on the game
    > shortcut
    > on my PC, nothing happens. Even double clicking on the actual EXE
    > file
    > on the computer won't launch the game.
    >
    > Stick the original (but scratched) CD in, and everything is fine...
    > until of course, getting to the part of the game with the scratch.
    >
    > I have uninstalled the game and reinstalled it but the same thing
    > happens. In fact, the software on the computer now was installed from
    > the backup disk, and works fine with the original disk.
    >
    > Any idea what's going on?

    Did you make a RAW copy of the game CD? Not all CD-R[W] drives can make
    good raw copies. The game CD may be copy-protected so the game looks
    for a "fingerprint" on the game CD. If it doesn't find the fingerprint,
    it refuses to run. Awhile back when I made backups of my game CDs (and
    because I knew they were copy protected), I used CloneCD. It was
    freeware back then but now, I think, you have to buy it. They had a
    list of CD-R drives and which ones were capable of doing raw copies to
    make sure the one that I had was on their list.

    You might try getting a scratch repair kit for CDs to see if you can get
    the original working again. Or call the game maker to see what they'll
    charge for a replacement CD.

    For e-mail: Remove "NIXTHIS" and append "#VS811" to Subject.

    Vanguard, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Bill P Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Whenever I buy new software, I make a backup copy of the CD(s), you
    > know, just in case.
    >
    > One of my kids has a game, Atari Tonka Fire Fighter, that had the CD
    > develop a scratch, and it now locks up when it's played.
    >
    > No problem I figured. I put the backup CD into play.
    >
    > But the CD isn't getting "recognized." If I put it in the CD drive,
    > once the drive closes, the dialog to play the game comes up, but when

    > click "PLAY" nothing happens. Or if I double click on the game

    shortcut
    > on my PC, nothing happens. Even double clicking on the actual EXE

    file
    > on the computer won't launch the game.
    >
    > Stick the original (but scratched) CD in, and everything is fine...
    > until of course, getting to the part of the game with the scratch.
    >
    > I have uninstalled the game and reinstalled it but the same thing
    > happens. In fact, the software on the computer now was installed from
    > the backup disk, and works fine with the original disk.
    >
    > Any idea what's going on?

    You could try recovering the data on the CD using BadCopy

    http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/?rid=BadCopy&vid=3.75

    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Jan 26, 2005
  4. Guest

    In article <>,
    "Vanguard" <> wrote:

    > Did you make a RAW copy of the game CD? Not all CD-R[W] drives can make
    > good raw copies.

    I used the copy CD function that came with my Easy CD Creator that came
    with a Plextor drive in late 2000. Is such a software/hardware combo
    unsuitable for copy-protected disks?

    Frankly, I never check my copied disks for functionality; just make sure
    that it looks like the files are there and the megabytes are the same!

    , Jan 26, 2005
  5. Vanguard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Did you make a RAW copy of the game CD? Not all CD-R[W] drives can
    >> make
    >> good raw copies.

    > I used the copy CD function that came with my Easy CD Creator that
    > came
    > with a Plextor drive in late 2000. Is such a software/hardware combo
    > unsuitable for copy-protected disks?
    >
    > Frankly, I never check my copied disks for functionality; just make
    > sure
    > that it looks like the files are there and the megabytes are the same!

    Easy CD Creator, Nero, and other normal CD burning software won't do
    anything regarding copy-protected CDs. In fact, they will attempt to
    skip bad spots or attempt retrying to copy them.

    For e-mail: Remove "NIXTHIS" and append "#VS811" to Subject.

    Vanguard, Jan 26, 2005
  6. Vanguard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Did you make a RAW copy of the game CD? Not all CD-R[W] drives can
    >> make
    >> good raw copies.

    > I used the copy CD function that came with my Easy CD Creator that
    > came
    > with a Plextor drive in late 2000. Is such a software/hardware combo
    > unsuitable for copy-protected disks?
    >
    > Frankly, I never check my copied disks for functionality; just make
    > sure
    > that it looks like the files are there and the megabytes are the same!

    SlySoft
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/
    CloneCD
    CloneDVD
    AnyDVD

    You need a copying program that uses RAW-Mode for CD/DVDs. Elby (when
    they used to own CloneCD) used to keep a list of CD-R drives as to which
    support what RAW modes so you could tell if CloneCD would work with your
    setup. I don't see a similar list at SlySoft. You might need to visit
    the Clone CD communities; some are mentioned on the SlySoft web site,
    like http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18.

    If you have Ahead's Nero CD Burning Software, you could try copying CDs
    in RAW mode. (http://www.thejackol.com/index.php?p=21). Apparently
    Easy CD Creator also has RAW mode copy (as noted at
    http://www.softlandmark.com/EasyCDDVDCreatorPlatinum.htm).

    For e-mail: Remove "NIXTHIS" and append "#VS811" to Subject.

    Vanguard, Jan 26, 2005
  7. g wrote:

    > Whenever I buy new software, I make a backup copy of the CD(s), you
    > know, just in case.
    >
    > One of my kids has a game, Atari Tonka Fire Fighter, that had the CD
    > develop a scratch, and it now locks up when it's played.
    >
    > No problem I figured. I put the backup CD into play.
    >
    > But the CD isn't getting "recognized." If I put it in the CD drive,
    > once the drive closes, the dialog to play the game comes up, but when I
    > click "PLAY" nothing happens. Or if I double click on the game shortcut
    > on my PC, nothing happens. Even double clicking on the actual EXE file
    > on the computer won't launch the game.
    >
    > Stick the original (but scratched) CD in, and everything is fine...
    > until of course, getting to the part of the game with the scratch.
    >
    > I have uninstalled the game and reinstalled it but the same thing
    > happens. In fact, the software on the computer now was installed from
    > the backup disk, and works fine with the original disk.
    >
    > Any idea what's going on?

    Take the scratched original to Blockbuster or similar business and ask
    them to run it through the scratch removal machine, far superior to any
    off-the-shelf scratch removal product.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 26, 2005
  8. g wrote:
    > Whenever I buy new software, I make a backup copy of the CD(s), you
    > know, just in case.
    >
    > One of my kids has a game, Atari Tonka Fire Fighter, that had the CD
    > develop a scratch, and it now locks up when it's played.
    >
    > No problem I figured. I put the backup CD into play.
    >
    > But the CD isn't getting "recognized." If I put it in the CD drive,
    > once the drive closes, the dialog to play the game comes up, but when
    > I click "PLAY" nothing happens. Or if I double click on the game
    > shortcut on my PC, nothing happens. Even double clicking on the
    > actual EXE file on the computer won't launch the game.
    >
    > Stick the original (but scratched) CD in, and everything is fine...
    > until of course, getting to the part of the game with the scratch.
    >
    > I have uninstalled the game and reinstalled it but the same thing
    > happens. In fact, the software on the computer now was installed from
    > the backup disk, and works fine with the original disk.
    >
    > Any idea what's going on?

    Yep. It's called SafeDisc 3 - it's now the gaming industry standard for
    protecting their software from unauthorised copying. CloneCD might work, but
    it's nigh on impossible to crack SD3-protected discs. I know it didn't work
    for my copy of The Sims 2, which is also SD3-protected. It's a hit and miss
    sort of thing. The other thing you might like to try is a no-CD patch (I use
    one for TS2) but my search of Game Copy World (www.gamecopyworld.com) proved
    fruitless (as well as a quick Google). This is odd as they usually patch
    things fairly quickly, but TFF was released 11 months ago (24th February)
    and TS2 was released 4½ months ago...

    Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance... :eek:(

    on salads.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Jan 26, 2005
  9. Bill P Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Whenever I buy new software, I make a backup copy of the CD(s), you
    > know, just in case.
    >
    > One of my kids has a game, Atari Tonka Fire Fighter, that had the CD
    > develop a scratch, and it now locks up when it's played.
    >
    > No problem I figured. I put the backup CD into play.
    >
    > But the CD isn't getting "recognized." If I put it in the CD drive,
    > once the drive closes, the dialog to play the game comes up, but when

    > click "PLAY" nothing happens. Or if I double click on the game

    shortcut
    > on my PC, nothing happens. Even double clicking on the actual EXE

    file
    > on the computer won't launch the game.
    >
    > Stick the original (but scratched) CD in, and everything is fine...
    > until of course, getting to the part of the game with the scratch.
    >
    > I have uninstalled the game and reinstalled it but the same thing
    > happens. In fact, the software on the computer now was installed from
    > the backup disk, and works fine with the original disk.
    >
    > Any idea what's going on?

    Try Alcohol 120 to copy CD's and DVD's

    http://cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/alcohol120.cfm

    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Jan 26, 2005
  10. Vanguard Guest

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <> wrote in message
    > g wrote:
    >> Whenever I buy new software, I make a backup copy of the CD(s), you
    >> know, just in case.
    >>
    >> One of my kids has a game, Atari Tonka Fire Fighter, that had the CD
    >> develop a scratch, and it now locks up when it's played.
    >>
    >> No problem I figured. I put the backup CD into play.
    >>
    >> But the CD isn't getting "recognized." If I put it in the CD drive,
    >> once the drive closes, the dialog to play the game comes up, but when
    >> I click "PLAY" nothing happens. Or if I double click on the game
    >> shortcut on my PC, nothing happens. Even double clicking on the
    >> actual EXE file on the computer won't launch the game.
    >>
    >> Stick the original (but scratched) CD in, and everything is fine...
    >> until of course, getting to the part of the game with the scratch.
    >>
    >> I have uninstalled the game and reinstalled it but the same thing
    >> happens. In fact, the software on the computer now was installed
    >> from
    >> the backup disk, and works fine with the original disk.
    >>
    >> Any idea what's going on?

    > Yep. It's called SafeDisc 3 - it's now the gaming industry standard
    > for protecting their software from unauthorised copying. CloneCD might
    > work, but it's nigh on impossible to crack SD3-protected discs. I know
    > it didn't work for my copy of The Sims 2, which is also SD3-protected.
    > It's a hit and miss sort of thing. The other thing you might like to
    > try is a no-CD patch (I use one for TS2) but my search of Game Copy
    > World (www.gamecopyworld.com) proved fruitless (as well as a quick
    > Google). This is odd as they usually patch things fairly quickly, but
    > TFF was released 11 months ago (24th February) and TS2 was released 4½
    > months ago...
    >
    > Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance... :eek:(

    A lot depends on what RAW modes (there are more than 1 and some are just
    approximations) are supported by your CD-R drive. That's why I liked
    the device list that Elby had (when they owned CloneCD) to tell me what
    CD-R drive to get. I ended up getting a LiteOn CD-RW drive because it
    supported the best RAW mode available for best physical copies (but not
    all LiteOns are equal). As I recall, RAW-DAO 96 write mode was best for
    making copies. It's near impossible to get specs from the drive maker
    that says what RAW modes they support. One CD-RW drive will work
    whereas another won't work. I didn't see the drive list and what RAW
    modes they support at SlySoft (where CloneCD ended up) and why I
    suggested the CloneCD forum since someone there might have more info.

    I did find one CD-RW list showing RAW modes at
    http://com114.wonihome.net/CloneCD.htm but that's someone personal list
    rather than compiled by Elby or SlySoft. You can get definitions of
    some of the RAW modes at http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Glossary/, like
    RAW-DAO 96, RAW-SAO, EFM encoding, Buffer Underrun protection,

    For e-mail: Remove "NIXTHIS" and append "#VS811" to Subject.

    Vanguard, Jan 26, 2005
  11. Joel Rubin Guest

    n Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:49:49 -0600, "Vanguard"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Whenever I buy new software, I make a backup copy of the CD(s), you
    >> know, just in case.
    >>
    >> One of my kids has a game, Atari Tonka Fire Fighter, that had the CD
    >> develop a scratch, and it now locks up when it's played.
    >>
    >> No problem I figured. I put the backup CD into play.
    >>
    >> But the CD isn't getting "recognized." If I put it in the CD drive,
    >> once the drive closes, the dialog to play the game comes up, but when
    >> click "PLAY" nothing happens. Or if I double click on the game
    >> shortcut
    >> on my PC, nothing happens. Even double clicking on the actual EXE
    >> file
    >> on the computer won't launch the game.
    >>
    >> Stick the original (but scratched) CD in, and everything is fine...
    >> until of course, getting to the part of the game with the scratch.
    >>
    >> I have uninstalled the game and reinstalled it but the same thing
    >> happens. In fact, the software on the computer now was installed from
    >> the backup disk, and works fine with the original disk.
    >>
    >> Any idea what's going on?

    >Did you make a RAW copy of the game CD? Not all CD-R[W] drives can make
    >good raw copies. The game CD may be copy-protected so the game looks
    >for a "fingerprint" on the game CD. If it doesn't find the fingerprint,
    >it refuses to run. Awhile back when I made backups of my game CDs (and
    >because I knew they were copy protected), I used CloneCD. It was
    >freeware back then but now, I think, you have to buy it. They had a
    >list of CD-R drives and which ones were capable of doing raw copies to
    >make sure the one that I had was on their list.
    >
    >You might try getting a scratch repair kit for CDs to see if you can get
    >the original working again. Or call the game maker to see what they'll
    >charge for a replacement CD.

    Ah, Copy Protection - an escalating war that goes back to floppy based
    games on the Apple ][. They had it on other computers, but it was much
    easier to play games with the Apple disk drives. Someone would find a
    way to copy quarter tracks and then someone at a software company
    would find a scheme to defeat that.

    In many cases, IMHO, the copy protection game was better than the game
    itself. It was sort of like Zork - a game where you had to figure out
    the rules.

    Another form of protection involves boxes with circuits that plug into
    a port called dongles. On the PC platform you mostly find that on
    expensive CAD and business programs. There were a few dongle-protected
    programs, mostly word processors, compilers and such, on the Commodore
    64.

    Joel Rubin, Jan 26, 2005
  12. Guest

    In article <>,
    "Vanguard" <> wrote:

    > SlySoft
    > http://www.slysoft.com/en/
    > CloneCD
    > CloneDVD
    > AnyDVD
    >
    > You need a copying program that uses RAW-Mode for CD/DVDs. Elby (when
    > they used to own CloneCD) used to keep a list of CD-R drives as to which
    > support what RAW modes so you could tell if CloneCD would work with your
    > setup. I don't see a similar list at SlySoft. You might need to visit
    > the Clone CD communities; some are mentioned on the SlySoft web site,
    > like http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18.
    >
    > If you have Ahead's Nero CD Burning Software, you could try copying CDs
    > in RAW mode. (http://www.thejackol.com/index.php?p=21). Apparently
    > Easy CD Creator also has RAW mode copy (as noted at
    > http://www.softlandmark.com/EasyCDDVDCreatorPlatinum.htm).

    I did download an older version (4.something) of CloneCD. It cloned the
    CD, and there was visibly more progress than before - clicking "play"
    turned the mouse pointer into a spinning CD icon for maybe 15 seconds -
    but again, the game wouldn't launch.

    A little more digging and I found a web site that offered copies of
    files that can supposedly defeat copy protection schemes, but they had
    nothing for that game.

    I then realized that I was about two hours into trying to rescue a game
    that probably cost $15 originally and gave up. Oh well.

    That CloneCD might be a neat tool though, so I'll hold on to it.

    , Jan 27, 2005
  13. mkdykstra Guest

    on the bright side, you do have a nice collection of coasters now. :)

    mkdykstra, Jan 27, 2005
  14. Vanguard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    >
    >> SlySoft
    >> http://www.slysoft.com/en/
    >> CloneCD
    >> CloneDVD
    >> AnyDVD
    >>
    >> You need a copying program that uses RAW-Mode for CD/DVDs. Elby
    >> (when
    >> they used to own CloneCD) used to keep a list of CD-R drives as to
    >> which
    >> support what RAW modes so you could tell if CloneCD would work with
    >> your
    >> setup. I don't see a similar list at SlySoft. You might need to
    >> visit
    >> the Clone CD communities; some are mentioned on the SlySoft web site,
    >> like http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18.
    >>
    >> If you have Ahead's Nero CD Burning Software, you could try copying
    >> CDs
    >> in RAW mode. (http://www.thejackol.com/index.php?p=21). Apparently
    >> Easy CD Creator also has RAW mode copy (as noted at
    >> http://www.softlandmark.com/EasyCDDVDCreatorPlatinum.htm).

    > I did download an older version (4.something) of CloneCD. It cloned
    > the
    > CD, and there was visibly more progress than before - clicking "play"
    > turned the mouse pointer into a spinning CD icon for maybe 15
    > seconds -
    > but again, the game wouldn't launch.
    >
    > A little more digging and I found a web site that offered copies of
    > files that can supposedly defeat copy protection schemes, but they had
    > nothing for that game.
    >
    > I then realized that I was about two hours into trying to rescue a
    > game
    > that probably cost $15 originally and gave up. Oh well.
    >
    > That CloneCD might be a neat tool though, so I'll hold on to it.

    You might try the scratch repair kits for CDs or, like one poster
    mentioned, taking it to Blockbuster (or maybe any large chained movie
    rental place) to have them buff the CD. CloneCD could be duplicating
    the bad spots with the scratch just like it would copy bad spots that
    had been lasered (to always return a read error at those signature
    spots). Trying to clone a bad CD might just give you another bad CD.
    With the kid handling the CDs, you'll probably need a scratch repair
    kit, anyway; otherwise, you're going to end up with lots of shiny
    metallic coasters. I haven't needed to repair a CD so I cannot
    recommend any repair kits. If the local Blockbuster doesn't buff the
    CDs themself (i.e., they send them out for repair), you could check into
    services where you send the CD to get repaired, like
    http://www.drdisccompany.com/main.html ($3/disc + $1.75 pre-paid mailer;
    since the mailer holds up to 5 discs then you might want to check what
    other CDs you need repaired). A CD cleaner kit, like ..., might be
    sufficient but if not then you'll need a professional buff job.

    It's been too long since I used CloneCD but I think it expires a month
    after installing it (i.e., it is trialware). Also, it can require
    tweaking to get it to work which often requires more knowledge the the
    average user knows plus, as mentioned in my other posts, it depends a
    lot on what RAW modes your CD-R drive supports. That's why I suggested
    the forums. Someone might know what "profile" to use to get the game
    copied okay (where a profile is what settings to use in CloneCD). You
    could try the other poster's suggestion of Alcohol 120% since that also
    has a trial version.

    Although the game cost only $15, sometimes the peace of having you kid
    off in their room playing a game is worth much more. ;-) But, yeah,
    after awhile you figure your time isn't worth it.

    For e-mail: Remove "NIXTHIS" and append "#VS811" to Subject.

    Vanguard, Jan 27, 2005
  15. Vanguard Guest

    Vanguard, Jan 28, 2005