backup circuit configuration with cisco

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jog Dial, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. Jog Dial

    Jog Dial Guest

    Hi,

    I'm a little out of my depth here and need to know what level things
    can be done at. If anyone can point me in the direction of any
    documents that outline how this type of thing is usually done, I'd
    appreciate it.

    I have just got a cisco 2621xm router with two fast ethernet
    interfaces, one ethernet interface and one WAN port which connects to
    my leased line 2Mb/s circuit to the Internet. I have a 1Mb/s ADSL
    circuit with ethernet handoff which plugs into the cisco's ethernet1/0
    interface. My DMZ is on FastEthernet0/0 and my company LAN is on
    FastEthernet0/1. I have two blocks of 8 public ehternet addresses,
    one associate with the 2Mb/s E1 circuit and one with the ADSL circuit.
    I would like to know what the best, or various ways are to configure
    this so it would automatically fail from one circuit to the other. As
    the blocks of addresses are obviously different and the interfaces on
    the for the two connections to the Internet are different, I don't
    really see how I could tranparently have people always be able to
    access our mail and web servers without making a DNS change, though I
    guess I could do mail by having one MX record for each interface,
    lower number on the 2Mb E1 circuit. But how would I handle the
    web/application server? Is it possible?

    I've googled around a bit and haven't come up with any best practices
    on how to do this and it's my first time configuring connections with
    redudancy so I'd appreciate any reading info anyone rates.

    Thanks for your help.

    Jog Dial
    Jog Dial, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Jog Dial

    Jim Guest

    "Jog Dial" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a little out of my depth here and need to know what level things
    > can be done at. If anyone can point me in the direction of any
    > documents that outline how this type of thing is usually done, I'd
    > appreciate it.
    >
    > I have just got a cisco 2621xm router with two fast ethernet
    > interfaces, one ethernet interface and one WAN port which connects to
    > my leased line 2Mb/s circuit to the Internet. I have a 1Mb/s ADSL
    > circuit with ethernet handoff which plugs into the cisco's ethernet1/0
    > interface. My DMZ is on FastEthernet0/0 and my company LAN is on
    > FastEthernet0/1. I have two blocks of 8 public ehternet addresses,
    > one associate with the 2Mb/s E1 circuit and one with the ADSL circuit.
    > I would like to know what the best, or various ways are to configure
    > this so it would automatically fail from one circuit to the other. As
    > the blocks of addresses are obviously different and the interfaces on
    > the for the two connections to the Internet are different, I don't
    > really see how I could tranparently have people always be able to
    > access our mail and web servers without making a DNS change, though I
    > guess I could do mail by having one MX record for each interface,
    > lower number on the 2Mb E1 circuit. But how would I handle the
    > web/application server? Is it possible?
    >
    > I've googled around a bit and haven't come up with any best practices
    > on how to do this and it's my first time configuring connections with
    > redudancy so I'd appreciate any reading info anyone rates.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Jog Dial

    Talk to your isp's about running BGP. You may have a hard time getting your
    ADSL provider to give you that service, depending on the level of service
    you have with them. But, that would solve the routing issues. It is really
    the only way to route to your addresses from multiple isp's. If the E1 and
    ADSL lines are provided by the same isp, then they may be able to handle
    this for you transparent to routing protocol.

    Hope that helps,

    Jim
    Jim, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Jog Dial

    Jog Dial Guest

    Hi Jim, thanks for you help, have no experience with BGP at all, but
    guess its time to learn, our DSL ISP is one of the best in the world
    and pretty sure they will help out with this, so thanks for pointing
    the way.

    Cheers
    JogDial

    Jog Dial, Aug 13, 2004