Backup Async going up and down.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by John Smith, May 31, 2006.

  1. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    To the Cisco people who know best,

    I currently have a 2811 (Corporate) router and a 1811 (Remote) router. The
    2811 has an eight port analog card in it for supporting all of my locations
    for backup. Right now everything is working correctly except for the Async
    connection dropping many times during its "connection" period. If I unplug
    the main connection from either router it will automatically dial out to the
    2811 router and traffic will work fine for a while. I configured the backup
    to only allow traffic to the AS/400.

    During a three hour period of being down, the Async went down and backup 17
    times with time frames of being up from 3 minutes to 20 minutes. Of course
    the people at our remote location didn't appreciate being kicked off 17
    times and felt that the backup was a joke. The reason for the dial up is
    because we only need the remote locations to get to the AS/400 which doesn't
    need much bandwidth at all. This is a solution that I would like to
    implement at all my locations but until I get this one to work properly, I
    am not purchasing anything else.

    I would appreciate any suggestions or things to look for to keep these line
    up.

    Thanks,

    Jason Baker
    John Smith, May 31, 2006

  2. Jason,

    Debugs are your friend. I would NTP sync my routers, configure msec
    timestamps (service timestamps debug date msec), create good sized
    logging buffers (say, logging buffered 500000 debug). Then turn on the
    following debugs to see what's happening:

    debug modem
    debug dialer
    debug ppp nego

    Then when a given site disconnects, look at the debugs at this time from
    the central and remote and see what they tell you.

    Your configs on on the router will also be relevant. If you don't like
    your calls dropping, then why not configure your backup links always to
    be up (while the primary path is down)? (Hint: consider using dialer watch.)

    Regards,

    Aaron

    ---

    ~ To the Cisco people who know best,
    ~
    Aaron Leonard, May 31, 2006

  3. John Smith

    thrill5 Guest

    Do NOT use 500,000 for your log (500K)!!!! Use something a little more sane
    like 64000 (64k), which will keep more than enough debug info to see the
    problem. Using a logging buffer that big can be a problem because the
    latest events are at the END of the logging buffer. If you need to see the
    last few messages you would need to scroll through 500K of irrelevant data.

    Scott

    thrill5, Jun 1, 2006
  4. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Aaron,

    Thanks for the advice.

    Most of my locations are in different states, therefore the long distance
    charge of being on all the time will not do.

    I just thought there might be some time frame or something like that which
    was dropping the connection. I was hopping to bumping that time limit up to
    like 2 hours or something. If it is really lack of traffic I could see that
    being a problem at one of our locations. All the other locations have
    people hitting that all day long. Of course the one I did first was the
    smaller location which could be not sending traffic for an hour or so at a
    time.

    I am going to order another 1811 and do what you suggested about the
    debugging. I will just set it up for one of the other locations and test it
    here before I send it out.

    Thanks again,

    Jason Baker

    John Smith, Jun 1, 2006
  5. ~ Do NOT use 500,000 for your log (500K)!!!! Use something a little more sane
    ~ like 64000 (64k), which will keep more than enough debug info to see the
    ~ problem.

    Well, the o.p. had a situation where his remote routers were sometimes
    disconnecting. So he would probably have to get into them *after* they
    disconnect and reconnect, and so I suggested big logging buffers to avoid
    overwriting the event of interest.

    ~ Using a logging buffer that big can be a problem because the
    ~ latest events are at the END of the logging buffer. If you need to see the
    ~ last few messages you would need to scroll through 500K of irrelevant data.
    ~
    ~ Scott

    Did you know that you can now copy the contents of your logging buffer to
    an FTP / TFTP server? So just write your 500KB buffer to your server, then
    you can use grep or tail or wordpad or the application of your choice to
    peruse them.

    AP1100-LAB-DOT25#show logging | redirect ?
    flash: Uniform Resource Locator
    ftp: Uniform Resource Locator
    http: Uniform Resource Locator
    https: Uniform Resource Locator
    nvram: Uniform Resource Locator
    rcp: Uniform Resource Locator
    scp: Uniform Resource Locator
    tftp: Uniform Resource Locator

    AP1100-LAB-DOT25#show logging | redirect tftp://not-craw--craw/foo.tmp
    !
    AP1100-LAB-DOT25#

    Cheers,

    Aaron

    ---

    ~ "Aaron Leonard" <> wrote in message
    ~ news:...
    ~ > Jason,
    ~ >
[...]
    ~ > ---
    ~ >
    ~ > ~ To the Cisco people who know best,
    ~ > ~
    Aaron Leonard, Jun 2, 2006
  6. Well, one possibility could be modem problems. For example, your
    modems might be training at 33600/33600 bps then getting an erratic
    connection and going into retrain and dropping, then reconnecting.
    To figure this out is sort of tough ... it involves reverse telnetting
    into the modems at each end, after a drop event (before the modems
    attempt to redial!), then pulling out the call information from the
    modem using whatever command is peculiar to that modem (AT#UD is now
    semistandard, but you need to run a special program to decode this.)

    Given that the application doesn't require high bandwith, one
    possibility might be to cap the modems at the problem sites to
    something like 14400 bps and see if that yields greater stability.

    Regards,

    Aaron

    ---

    ~ Aaron,