    and use it????

    tia
    AGP
    AGP, May 27, 2005

  2. AGP

    FAQmeister Guest

    "AGP" <> wrote in message
    news:qttle.1361$
    > I bought a copy of ICopyDVDs2 and it works fairly well.
    > My only concern is with the activation. If they go out of
    > business and I reformat my machine then Im outta luck.
    > Is there a way to backup my activation information so
    > that in case they go out of business I can still activate it
    > and use it????
    >
    > tia
    > AGP

    It's best to boycott all software that requires activation and then you
    won't ever have to worry about not being able to use the software you
    paid for. And besides, according to a review I just read, that software
    is crap anyway. There are better and free tools available like dvdshrink
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

    To answer your question:
    Run a search on the windows registry for Icopydvd and save a copy of
    every key it uses in a separate file. If you have to reinstall later you
    can double-click on the registery files you've saved and they will be
    incorporated into the registry. That might work. Then again, it might
    not.

    The alternative is to use a crack.

    Go to:
    http://astalavista.box.sk
    and put ICopyDVDs2

    If you just bought the software, chances are it hasn't been cracked yet,
    but it will be eventually so keep checking back.

    Be very careful with the crack sites. Do not agree to any software
    downloads and be sure and search your machine for scumware after you're
    done. If you don't know how to deal with an infestation effectively,
    then don't go to any of the crack sites.

    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    FAQmeister, May 27, 2005

  3. AGP

    AGP Guest

    Well yeah I guess that would be the solution here but I already have the
    software
    and I want to back up my activation. The crack sites are so bunk, I hate
    going
    there. They send me around in circles, have me vote on this, pop-up porn
    sites,
    man I just want directions on how to back up my activation. The registry
    might not work
    as activations usually are not that direct. They will put their entry in an
    entry
    that is named something completely different. Sometimes they also place an
    activation
    file somewhere on your computer that is named differently as well.

    AGP

    AGP, May 27, 2005
  4. AGP

    Bratboy Guest

    Did you bother to ask the software vender? If anyone would know how to back
    it up I'd think they would

    Bratboy, May 27, 2005
  5. AGP

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    > Did you bother to ask the software vender? If anyone would know how
    > to back it up I'd think they would

    LOL
    Like they're going to tell you? They want the software to phone home
    before you can use it. That's the whole point of activation.
    FAQmeister, May 27, 2005
  6. AGP

    AGP Guest

    I can try but I sincerely doubt they are going to tell me their "secret"
    way of handling authentication.
    AGP

    AGP, May 28, 2005
  7. FAQmeister wrote:
    > "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Did you bother to ask the software vender? If anyone would know how
    >>to back it up I'd think they would

    > LOL
    > Like they're going to tell you? They want the software to phone home
    > before you can use it. That's the whole point of activation.

    Well, you could try uninstalling, then reinstalling and reactivating it.
    Before you start the application, kill all other network applications
    & launch up ethereal, tcpdump, or any other packet stream collector.
    From there, go back to the stream and check for anything that may seem
    unique. You may also want to copy the files prior to activation, them
    diff them to see the difference. Finally, there's a chance you may be
    able to reactivate by using tcpreplay with the stream you collected
    (obviously filter out signsl you sent the first time).
    Nicholas Andrade, May 28, 2005