Backlash against free internet calls

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Dave Gill, Oct 22, 2005.

  1. Dave Gill

    Dave Gill Guest

    From this week's New scientist:

    "MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to the
    internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice over
    internet protocol (VoIP) technology."

    Here's a link to the full article:

    http://tinyurl.com/chzku

    Dave Gill, Oct 22, 2005

  2. Dave Gill

    peter Guest

    Dave Gill wrote:
    > From this week's New scientist:
    >
    > "MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to the
    > internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice over
    > internet protocol (VoIP) technology."
    >
    > Here's a link to the full article:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/chzku
    >
    > --
    > The From address is a spam-trap, so all replies to the newsgroup please.
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Be Alert, Your Country Needs More Lerts! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Bloody Luddites, that's what they are !

    peter, Oct 22, 2005

  3. Dave Gill

    Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:54:49 +0100,
    (Dave Gill) wrote:

    >From this week's New scientist:
    >
    >"MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to the
    >internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice over
    >internet protocol (VoIP) technology."
    >
    >Here's a link to the full article:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/chzku

    BTYahoo would have a job stopping calls as they promote their own
    Yahoo communicator;-)
    pete

    , Oct 22, 2005
  4. Dave Gill

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:34:38 +0100, wrote:

    >On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:54:49 +0100,
    > (Dave Gill) wrote:
    >
    >>From this week's New scientist:
    >>
    >>"MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to the
    >>internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice over
    >>internet protocol (VoIP) technology."
    >>
    >>Here's a link to the full article:
    >>
    >>http://tinyurl.com/chzku

    >BTYahoo would have a job stopping calls as they promote their own
    >Yahoo communicator;-)
    >pete

    I would hope that the government would legislate against ISPs etc., if
    this occurs here, as is stifles compeitition.
    Fortunately it looks like BT have accepted that calls will go to voip
    as it does offer its own voip service.
    I think the main problem here might be where ISPs play dirty tricks
    to get people to use their own brand of voip. It is that that may
    require legislation.
    If Ofcom do nothing to stop it then will will have to be letters,
    pronto, to the MPs to sort it out. Knowing Parliament's incapacity to
    comprehend technical matters that could be a lengthy procedure.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Oct 22, 2005
  5. Dave Gill

    Sean Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:54:49 +0100,
    > (Dave Gill) wrote:
    >
    >>From this week's New scientist:

    >>"MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to the
    >>internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice over
    >>internet protocol (VoIP) technology."
    >>
    >>Here's a link to the full article:
    >>
    >>http://tinyurl.com/chzku

    > BTYahoo would have a job stopping calls as they promote their own
    > Yahoo communicator;-)
    > pete

    Freedom 2 Surf have also just launched there own VoIP service..........

    Sean, Oct 22, 2005
  6. Dave Gill

    Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:23:22 +0100, Sean
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:54:49 +0100,
    >> (Dave Gill) wrote:
    >>
    >>>From this week's New scientist:

    >>>"MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to the
    >>>internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice over
    >>>internet protocol (VoIP) technology."
    >>>
    >>>Here's a link to the full article:
    >>>
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/chzku

    >> BTYahoo would have a job stopping calls as they promote their own
    >> Yahoo communicator;-)
    >> pete

    >Freedom 2 Surf have also just launched there own VoIP service..........

    It ISN'T a real voip service I have asked technical support about it
    you HAVE to use MS messenger with it and can only contact other F2S
    customers with it .

    , Oct 22, 2005
  7. Thus spaketh Dave Gill:

    http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/oct05/1846

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Oct 22, 2005
  8. Dave Gill

    Dave Gill Guest

    Brian A <> wrote:

    > I would hope that the government would legislate against ISPs etc., if
    > this occurs here, as is stifles compeitition.
    > Fortunately it looks like BT have accepted that calls will go to voip
    > as it does offer its own voip service.
    > I think the main problem here might be where ISPs play dirty tricks
    > to get people to use their own brand of voip. It is that that may
    > require legislation.
    > If Ofcom do nothing to stop it then will will have to be letters,
    > pronto, to the MPs to sort it out. Knowing Parliament's incapacity to
    > comprehend technical matters that could be a lengthy procedure.

    Well so far Ofcom's attitude seems to be that VoIP is healthy
    competition for the fixed line providers, so maybe there would be a
    reasonably quick response if some of the telcos started playing tricks.

    Dave Gill, Oct 22, 2005
  9. Dave Gill

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Dave Gill" <> wrote in
    message

    [snip]

    > Well so far Ofcom's attitude seems to be that VoIP is
    > healthy competition for the fixed line providers, so
    > maybe there would be a reasonably quick response if some
    > of the telcos started playing tricks.

    Could prove interesting for overseas travel though if traffic is routed
    via those countries trying to block VoIP. Or if you are using a provider
    based in such a country.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 22, 2005
  10. Dave Gill

    Sean Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:23:22 +0100, Sean
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:

    >>>BTYahoo would have a job stopping calls as they promote their own
    >>>Yahoo communicator;-)
    >>>pete

    >>Freedom 2 Surf have also just launched there own VoIP service..........

    > It ISN'T a real voip service I have asked technical support about it
    > you HAVE to use MS messenger with it and can only contact other F2S
    > customers with it .

    I *did* say have *just* lanched a VoIP service, and they have. Try
    checking websites of companies mentioned before saying it *ISN'T* real
    http://www.f2s.com/voip/ This is all pretend?

    Sean, Oct 22, 2005
  11. Thus spaketh Sean:
    > wrote:
    >> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:23:22 +0100, Sean
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Freedom 2 Surf have also just launched there own VoIP
    >>> service..........

    >> It ISN'T a real voip service I have asked technical support about it
    >> you HAVE to use MS messenger with it and can only contact other F2S
    >> customers with it .

    > I *did* say have *just* lanched a VoIP service, and they have. Try
    > checking websites of companies mentioned before saying it *ISN'T* real
    > http://www.f2s.com/voip/ This is all pretend?

    Not competitive at all, in fact it is dreadfully priced.

    For Free £10 credit when you get referred to TalkTalk or £5 when referred to
    easyMobile contact me via above site.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Oct 22, 2005
  12. Dave Gill

    Sean Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Thus spaketh Sean:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>>It ISN'T a real voip service I have asked technical support about it
    >>>you HAVE to use MS messenger with it and can only contact other F2S
    >>>customers with it .

    >>I *did* say have *just* lanched a VoIP service, and they have. Try
    >>checking websites of companies mentioned before saying it *ISN'T* real
    >>http://www.f2s.com/voip/ This is all pretend?

    > Not competitive at all, in fact it is dreadfully priced.

    I know it is..... But it's ok for offpeak users i think

    Sean, Oct 22, 2005
  13. Dave Gill

    Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 21:53:57 +0100, Sean
    <> wrote:

    >I *did* say have *just* lanched a VoIP service, and they have. Try
    >checking websites of companies mentioned before saying it *ISN'T* real
    >http://www.f2s.com/voip/ This is all pretend?

    Ring their tech support and find out if you don't believe what I have
    said unless of course it has all been altered since Pipex got hold of
    F2S this last week and have incorporated it with their voip service .

    , Oct 22, 2005
  14. Dave Gill

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:34:01 +0100, Sean
    <> wrote:

    >{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >> Thus spaketh Sean:

    >>>I *did* say have *just* lanched a VoIP service, and they have. Try
    >>>checking websites of companies mentioned before saying it *ISN'T* real
    >>>http://www.f2s.com/voip/ This is all pretend?

    >> Not competitive at all, in fact it is dreadfully priced.
    >>

    >I know it is..... But it's ok for offpeak users i think

    Very poorly priced for off peak too. 2.7p/min is terrible.
    I can't imagine why anyone would want to use a service with such high
    costs. Voipfone and sipgate charge just over 1p afaik, plustalk is
    1.5p/min - voipbuster and sipdiscount are free once you have bought
    some credit.
    2.7p/min looks like something BT might try to get away with.
    Anyone who goes for that has to ignorant of what alternatives are
    available. The comparisons they make to BT charges just don't make the
    product attractive. In my opinion they don't deserve to suceed with
    charges like that.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Oct 22, 2005
  15. Dave Gill

    Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:42:49 +0100, wrote:

    >On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 21:53:57 +0100, Sean
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>I *did* say have *just* lanched a VoIP service, and they have. Try
    >>checking websites of companies mentioned before saying it *ISN'T* real
    >>http://www.f2s.com/voip/ This is all pretend?

    >Ring their tech support and find out if you don't believe what I have
    >said unless of course it has all been altered since Pipex got hold of
    >F2S this last week and have incorporated it with their voip service .

    Sorry Sean it does look like they have turned their pretend voip
    service into a real one recently going back three months to when I
    first signed up with F2S they where advertising the service then.
    When I went to sign up I found that it just operated like a chat
    program using messenger when I challenged the tech guy about this
    he admitted it wasn't a full blown voip service but looks now like the
    do in fact operate a full voip service .

    , Oct 22, 2005
  16. Dave Gill

    Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 21:52:31 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:
    >Very poorly priced for off peak too. 2.7p/min is terrible.
    >I can't imagine why anyone would want to use a service with such high
    >costs. Voipfone and sipgate charge just over 1p afaik, plustalk is
    >1.5p/min - voipbuster and sipdiscount are free once you have bought
    >some credit.
    >2.7p/min looks like something BT might try to get away with.
    >Anyone who goes for that has to ignorant of what alternatives are
    >available. The comparisons they make to BT charges just don't make the
    >product attractive. In my opinion they don't deserve to suceed with
    >charges like that.

    Brian I understand what you are saying but I have to say F2S do
    provide good service in all things that they provide but regarding
    their voip offering they are no different than Sipgate has they also
    do not provide 24/7 support for any services they provide .
    Come 4.30 Friday and home they go leaving their customers to sink or
    swim until 9 am Monday morning .

    , Oct 22, 2005
  17. Dave Gill

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

    [snip]

    > > Not competitive at all, in fact it is dreadfully priced.
    > >

    > I know it is..... But it's ok for offpeak users i think

    Can anyone see how to sign up for it..? I can't..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 22, 2005
  18. Dave Gill

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Brian I understand what you are saying but I have to say
    > F2S do provide good service in all things that they
    > provide but regarding their voip offering they are no
    > different than Sipgate has they also do not provide 24/7
    > support for any services they provide .
    > Come 4.30 Friday and home they go leaving their customers
    > to sink or swim until 9 am Monday morning .

    You keep harping on about this but have you any hard proof..? Apart from
    *one* instance when the system fell over while *some* of the staff were at
    a trade exhibition..?

    And will you *please* learn the difference between the words "as" and
    "has" - you're doing my head in..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 23, 2005
  19. Dave Gill

    tg Guest

    "Dave Gill" <> wrote in message
    > From this week's New scientist:
    >
    > "MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to the
    > internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice over
    > internet protocol (VoIP) technology."
    >
    > Here's a link to the full article:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/chzku

    greedy bastards. I hope they all catch the bird flu and die slow horrible
    deaths.

    tg, Oct 23, 2005
  20. Dave Gill

    7 Guest

    Dave Gill wrote:

    > From this week's New scientist:
    >
    > "MANY of the phone companies that own the wires connecting people to the
    > internet are gearing up to block free phone calls that use voice over
    > internet protocol (VoIP) technology."
    >
    > Here's a link to the full article:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/chzku

    Me thinks these companies are all going to get sued or run out of
    town by businesses that offer unencumbered services.
    In the long term their moves are closer to what the luddites would
    have you do and politicians will face stiff shafting if they
    continue to pander to these nasty telcos.
    It will also spur development of distributed voip services. That is
    going to be a bitch to stop.
    What we need is more deregulation of the telecom markets so that
    competitive companies can offer more diverse services and
    eliminate the rot left from POTS mismanagement.

    7, Oct 23, 2005