    characters in the name <>:"/\?*" it won't let me change what's in the box.

    anyone have this experience? would it just be easier to save my files to a
    disk? tia.

    minicooper, Sep 28, 2003

  2. minicooper

    Patrick Guest

    minicooper wrote:
    > i've been trying to use the backup or restore wizard. when i come to
    > the screen where it says "choose place to save" "3 1/2" floppy (a:)"
    > is in the box. when i enter, i get error message "please do not use
    > the following characters in the name <>:"/\?*" it won't let me
    > change what's in the box.
    >
    > anyone have this experience? would it just be easier to save my
    > files to a disk? tia.

    What I understand of the situation is that the floppy is used to store
    *details* of the Backup.

    If you try to search in 'Help and Support' for Backup/Restore, you'll only
    get 'system restore' details. However if you you search for 'ASR' (Automatic
    System Recovery) you will get some details as to the XP-Backup program.

    XP-Backup (as I understand) cannot write to a CD-Writer, but only to another
    drive or backup-device (tape-drive).

    All in all, it seems that it would be better to just copy data-files
    straight to the CD-Writer.
    I believe that XP-backup program (ASR) is more as to it's name (ASR) for
    backing up a system.

    Patrick, Sep 28, 2003

  3. minicooper

    Boomer Guest

    minicooper wrote:

    > i've been trying to use the backup or restore wizard. when i
    > come to the screen where it says "choose place to save" "3 1/2"
    > floppy (a:)" is in the box. when i enter, i get error message
    > "please do not use the following characters in the name
    > <>:"/\?*" it won't let me change what's in the box.
    >
    > anyone have this experience? would it just be easier to save my
    > files to a disk? tia.

    You posted on the 24th, 26th and 27th. You have received replies!!

    Try this.
    F5 to refresh the page and View> Show All Posts
    or
    From the View menu choose Current View > Replies to my posts
    Use Help for more tips on configuring OE

    If you still can't see the messages
    check the archive, for this group, at

    Boomer, Sep 28, 2003