    allow me to reliably backup and restore just the files I need to get
    back into my working windows environment?
    , Feb 1, 2007

  2. Gordon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just tried Norton Ghost and to my disappointment, it only seems to
    > allow backing up an entire hard drive at a time.
    >
    > What software (preferably free) could I use to reliably back up only
    > Windows, System and Program files? I have 50gigs of data on my C:
    > drive, but I could definitely fit Windows and my Program files on two
    > DVDs, probably only one dvd.

    Unless you do a disk image, why bother? You already have backups of your
    system and program files - on your Windows CD and the program install
    CDs.....
    Gordon, Feb 1, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Feb 1, 10:02 am, "Gordon" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > >I just tried Norton Ghost and to my disappointment, it only seems to
    > > allow backing up an entire hard drive at a time.

    > > What software (preferably free) could I use to reliably back up only
    > > Windows, System and Program files? I have 50gigs of data on my C:
    > > drive, but I could definitely fit Windows and my Program files on two
    > > DVDs, probably only one dvd.

    > Unless you do a disk image, why bother? You already have backups of your
    > system and program files - on your Windows CD and the program install
    > CDs.....

    My settings, my wallpaper, my startup files, my program installations,
    pretty much everything except my data files which I can back up
    separately or just lose if it comes to that.

    I take it though that you don't know of any software or method to make
    one or two dvds worth of recoverable backups?
    , Feb 1, 2007
  4. Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, Feb 1, 2007
  5. Gordon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > my program installations,

    You cannot "backup" your program files unless you do a Disk image. You
    cannot just copy program files back to a HDD and expect them to work. You
    either have to use a Disk image, or re-install the programs, so either use a
    Disk image of EVERYTHING, or just re-install from your program installation
    media....
    Gordon, Feb 1, 2007
  6. Howdy!

    <> wrote in message
    > I just tried Norton Ghost and to my disappointment, it only seems to
    > allow backing up an entire hard drive at a time.
    >
    > What software (preferably free) could I use to reliably back up only
    > Windows, System and Program files? I have 50gigs of data on my C:
    > drive, but I could definitely fit Windows and my Program files on two
    > DVDs, probably only one dvd.

    And the root directory. And the boot blocks. And the ...

    No, better to just backup the whole thing.

    Not to mention all the stuff in the "Documents & Settings" tree per
    user that's required for software to operate.

    > Is there any software (or instructions on how to make and restore
    > manually made zip files or other backups stored on DVD) that will
    > allow me to reliably backup and restore just the files I need to get
    > back into my working windows environment?

    You need more than those to "get back into MY working windows
    environment". Such as the D&S tree.

    What's wrong with backing up the whole drive?

    THAT said - what version of Ghost are you using?

    Corporate versions used to enable you to skip directories on a
    backup. I've never done that, because it seems like a not-smart thing to do
    IMO. But eh.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Feb 1, 2007
  7. WhzzKdd Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> my program installations,

    > You cannot "backup" your program files unless you do a Disk image. You
    > cannot just copy program files back to a HDD and expect them to work.
    > You either have to use a Disk image, or re-install the programs, so
    > either use a Disk image of EVERYTHING, or just re-install from your
    > program installation media....

    Since the OP wants only the Windows installation and installed programs,
    they could temporarily migrate their data to a different location, image the
    drive, then return the data.

    Of course, that would require having say, a spare hard drive or two laying
    around. Doesn't everyone? <g>
    WhzzKdd, Feb 1, 2007
  8. old man Guest

    cannot be done, excepting via an imaging app

    old man, Feb 1, 2007
  9. Daave Guest

    wrote:
    > I just tried Norton Ghost and to my disappointment, it only seems to
    > allow backing up an entire hard drive at a time.
    >
    > What software (preferably free) could I use to reliably back up only
    > Windows, System and Program files? I have 50gigs of data on my C:
    > drive, but I could definitely fit Windows and my Program files on two
    > DVDs, probably only one dvd.
    >
    > Is there any software (or instructions on how to make and restore
    > manually made zip files or other backups stored on DVD) that will
    > allow me to reliably backup and restore just the files I need to get
    > back into my working windows environment?

    1. Back up all your data (word processing documents, spreadsheets,
    multimedia files, e-mail folders, etc.) to another medium (e.g.,
    external hard drive or one or more DVDs).

    2. Delete all the above from your computer.

    3. Make an image of what is left on your hard drive (basically your OS
    with all the service packs and updates, all your applications, and
    various settings). I'm pretty sure this would fit on one DVD since
    you're not creating a clone, but I defer to the experts. An external
    hard drive is always an option, too; I just purchased a 250 GB Western
    Digital "My Book" for $80 (after rebate, that is).

    Now you have your backup. :) (Of course you can skip steps one and two
    and just image the whole kit and caboodle...)

    4. Copy all your data back to your computer.
    Daave, Feb 2, 2007
  10. Give Iolo's http://www.iolo.com/sr/4/ Search and Recover a try.
    They do one heck of a great job with their System Mechanic.

    Regards,
    Dan

    Daniel Anderson, Feb 10, 2007