    Thanks.

    --
    John B

    John B, Feb 22, 2005

  2. John B

    Benji Thorn Guest

    The easiest way I know of doing this is with Norton Ghost. It is usually
    run from a boot disck (or cdrom) and can back up your computer in a
    number of ways. It can basically copy every single file (including the
    boot blocks and special partitions etc... aka EVERYTHING) and store it
    as a single large file which it can also compress. You can also have it
    store it in X size chunks. For example DVD size chunks at 4.5gb or
    whatever which you can later burn onto DVD. You would then just need a
    norton ghost boot disc and your original dvds or cdroms. Beware it is a
    dos disc though so you would need the norton ghost disc to have your dvd
    drives dos drivers. Or you can backup your HD to a network connected
    computer.

    Either way it is very very very easy.

    So easy my boss can even figure out how to use it lol

    Benji Thorn, Feb 22, 2005

  3. John B

    Bottle Boy Guest

    "John B" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Just got a DVD writer.
    >
    > Want to back up my win2k system, programmes and data.
    >
    > What's a good programme to use for this? Would wink2k backup do the job,
    > or is
    > something other recommended?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > John B

    There is a program called "Bootit". Try it out. I've used it and found it to
    be better than Norton Ghost.

    Bottle Boy, Feb 22, 2005
  4. John B

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "John B" <> wrote in news::

    > Just got a DVD writer.
    >
    > Want to back up my win2k system, programmes and data.
    >
    > What's a good programme to use for this? Would wink2k backup do the
    > job, or is something other recommended?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Any kind of "Drive Imaging Software" will do.

    I like Ghost. Acronis has also been recommended. Knoppix also comes
    with some.
    Look into G4U if you have an FTP server on your lan.
    http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

    If you really want to back up for a "Bare metal" re-install, you cannot
    do it from inside the OS you are trying to backup! Files will be open.
    Hence, the creation of boot floppies, CDs and One button restore on tape
    drives.

    Use google, you will find lots of help now you know the terms to search
    for.
    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 22, 2005
  5. John B

    John B Guest

    Thanks Benji, Bottle and Dave. I'll check it all out.

    John B, Feb 22, 2005
  6. John B

    bok Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:

    > "John B" <> wrote in news::
    >> Just got a DVD writer.
    >> Want to back up my win2k system, programmes and data.
    >> What's a good programme to use for this? Would wink2k backup do the
    >> job, or is something other recommended?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > If you really want to back up for a "Bare metal" re-install, you cannot
    > do it from inside the OS you are trying to backup! Files will be open.
    > Hence, the creation of boot floppies, CDs and One button restore on tape
    > drives.

    There exists backup software that *claims* to be able to take a point in
    time snapshot of a partition while files are files and being updated.

    However, at least one I know of doesn't do this reliably

    Just this week we dealt with an issue at a customer site were a file was
    corrupted on a partition being backed up because a write I/O was lost when
    the backup was cancelled.

    We suspect this occurred when the device driver it uses to monitor disk
    writes during the backup was unhooking from the device driver chain.

    The vendors web site even warns you not to use it while disk intensive
    applications are running ????

    --
    bok

    bok, Feb 23, 2005