    Sorry about the math lesson. I know USB 2.0 is rated at 480mbps vs.
    12mbps for USB 1.1. But I find it hard to believe I'll see a 40x
    improvement in transfer speed.

    Bob Jones, Nov 17, 2006

  2. Bob Jones

    beenthere Guest

    "Bob Jones" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm trying to back up my PC to an external HDD via USB 1.1. Way too
    > slow -- maybe 30 minutes per 1GB at best.
    >
    > If I added a USB 2.0 PCI card to my PC, how much data will I be able to
    > move per hour?
    >
    > Sorry about the math lesson. I know USB 2.0 is rated at 480mbps vs.
    > 12mbps for USB 1.1. But I find it hard to believe I'll see a 40x
    > improvement in transfer speed.

    You`ll see a substantial improvement, so it`s got to
    be worth it.

    bw..OJ

    beenthere, Nov 17, 2006

  3. "Bob Jones" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to back up my PC to an external HDD via USB 1.1. Way too
    > slow -- maybe 30 minutes per 1GB at best.

    Isn't 30 minutes for 1 gb a rate of ~33 mbps? That doesn't make sense
    if your current hardware supports only 12 mbps.

    In any event, the chain is only as strong or as fast as its
    weakest/slowest link. What sort of hardware, OS, etc.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Nov 17, 2006
  4. Bob Jones

    Bob Jones Guest

    Well, Steve, you got me there. I overestimated my transfer rate. But
    suffice to say it's s-l-o-w.

    I'm running an IBM P3 500 with 576MB of RAM and WinXP Pro. I've
    connected a Buffalo 160GB DriveStation via my USB 1.1 port.

    I have about 65GB of content to back up. If it's going to take longer
    than 12 hours or so via USB, it's hardly worth the trouble, and I'll
    just return the DriveStation and purchase a second internal HDD for
    backup.

    But before I make that decision, I'd like to formulate a general idea
    about how long it will take to back up my content via USB 2.0.

    Bob Jones, Nov 17, 2006
  5. Bob Jones

    old man Guest

    I backed up 10gb + a 17gb image and allthough I dont remember precise times
    I'm sure it was less than 1 hour for each

    old man, Nov 17, 2006
  6. Bob Jones

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On 17 Nov 2006 10:23:42 -0800, "Bob Jones" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm trying to back up my PC to an external HDD via USB 1.1. Way too
    >slow -- maybe 30 minutes per 1GB at best.
    >
    >If I added a USB 2.0 PCI card to my PC, how much data will I be able to
    >move per hour?
    >
    >Sorry about the math lesson. I know USB 2.0 is rated at 480mbps vs.
    >12mbps for USB 1.1. But I find it hard to believe I'll see a 40x
    >improvement in transfer speed.

    You should get around a 10x improvement, maybe a GB every few minutes
    or some 3 hr for your 65 GB

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Nov 17, 2006