    whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and updated
    files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it only updates
    new and modified versions).
    Robin, Apr 22, 2007

  2. Robin

    Rv! Guest

    "Robin" <> wrote in message news:...
    >I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The first time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as
    >there will be about 400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back up the whole lot every time, or is there a
    >way to just transfer new and updated files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it only updates new and modified
    >versions).

    I suggest you investigate Drive Snapshot and secondly Zip-backup.
    Both are very cheap backup solutions that I have used extensively for
    various archiving jobs.

    Rv!
    Rv!, Apr 22, 2007

  3. "Robin" <> writes:
    >I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The first
    >time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as there will be about
    >400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back up the
    >whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and updated
    >files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it only updates
    >new and modified versions).

    Get a copy of "SyncToy". It's part of Microsoft's Power Toys and can be
    downloaded for free from them. It's not supported, it doesn't have the
    fancy interface of something like Word, and it has some warts. But it's
    designed for exactly this sort of task, and the price is right.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Apr 22, 2007
  4. Robin

    George Kerby Guest

    Simply the best:

    http://www.shirt-pocket.com/

    George Kerby, Apr 22, 2007
  5. Robin

    Pete D Guest

    George, this is possibly the best advice you could ever give to a Windows
    user, buy a MAC. Love your work mate.

    Pete D, Apr 22, 2007
  6. Robin

    Jim Guest

    "Rv!" <> wrote in message

    > "Robin" <> wrote in message
    >>I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The
    >>first time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as there will be
    >>about 400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back
    >>up the whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and
    >>updated files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it
    >>only updates new and modified versions).

    > I suggest you investigate Drive Snapshot and secondly Zip-backup.
    > Both are very cheap backup solutions that I have used extensively for
    > various archiving jobs.
    >
    > Rv!

    The answer to the OP's question is no. What is needed is an incremental
    backup after the initial full backup gets made.\
    Among the very many programs that furnish either an incremental backup or a
    differential backup or both are:
    NTbackup
    Norton Ghost
    Acronis True Image

    Jim
    Jim, Apr 22, 2007
  7. Robin

    bitwisebob Guest

    On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:14:30 +0100, "Robin" <> wrote:

    >The question is, will I have to back up the
    >whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and updated
    >files

    http://www.tgrmn.com/free/?from=vvfree

    ViceVersa FREE 1.0.3

    Compares two folders and synchronize differences
    Supports 3 file comparison methods: Size/Timestamp, CRC or both
    Supports 5 file synchronization methods
    Supports manual copy and delete for manual synchronization
    For Windows 98, Me, NT4, 2000, and XP
    No spy, no nags: just FREE

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon
    bitwisebob, Apr 23, 2007
  8. Robin

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:14:30 +0100, Robin wrote:

    > I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The first
    > time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as there will be about
    > 400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back up the
    > whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and updated
    > files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it only updates
    > new and modified versions).

    Although I have a good backup program (Acronis True Image), for
    frequent "incremental" backups of small amounts of data, meaning
    what fits on a DVD-RAM, I use good ole XCOPY in a DOS window. It's
    free, it works reliably, and would also work for backing up to an
    external hard drive. The "/D" parameter prevents recopying existing
    files unless they're newer than the version on the backup drive.
    Some other parameters used are "/S /D /H /Y".
    ASAAR, Apr 23, 2007
  9. Robin

    dbd Guest

    On Apr 22, 11:14 am, "Robin" <> wrote:
    > I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The first
    > time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as there will be about
    > 400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back up the
    > whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and updated
    > files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it only updates
    > new and modified versions).

    There are a number of free tools that rename and sort copies of files.
    An example would be ImageIngester:

    http://basepath.com/ImageIngester/

    One common tactic is to put dates into the file names and store the
    files in directories named with dates as well. This makes it easy to
    recognize what you have backed up and what you haven't. Dates are not
    the only choice of labels to add to file and directory names.

    Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    dbd, Apr 23, 2007
  10. Robin

    Jerry Guest

    Robin wrote:
    > I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The first
    > time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as there will be about
    > 400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back up the
    > whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and updated
    > files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it only updates
    > new and modified versions).

    Try SyncBack at http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html
    The free version will do what you want. Can backup or synchronise. I
    use it to synch photos between 2 computers. Can download them to either
    one if a kid is using the other, then synchronise the files.
    Jerry, Apr 23, 2007
  11. Robin

    Rv! Guest

    Download link doesn't work.

    Rv!
    Rv!, Apr 23, 2007
  12. Robin

    George Kerby Guest

    Heck, I forgot that it was Mac-only. Sorry 'bout that!

    On 4/22/07 5:15 PM, in article
    462bde7b$0$25457$, "Pete D"

    George Kerby, Apr 23, 2007
  13. Robin

    Robin Guest

    MAC's are OK, but you can't beat the real thing.

    Robin, Apr 23, 2007
  14. Robin

    George Kerby Guest

    I'm talking about computers, not network adapters. Please try to keep up.

    George Kerby, Apr 23, 2007
  15. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Me too.

    Robin, Apr 23, 2007
  16. Robin

    George Kerby Guest

    On 4/23/07 3:08 PM, in article ,
    "Robin" <> wrote:

    > Me too.

    Then you write "Mac". And, if you're talking about a Pee-Cee, you know
    nothing. Artists and photographer and Videographers and Film People were
    working on Macs when Pee-Cees were laboring over MS-DOS.

    I guess if you like crashes and viri, go on, knock yourself out!

    George Kerby, Apr 24, 2007
  17. Robin

    John Smith Guest

    > On 4/23/07 3:08 PM, in article ,
    > "Robin" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Me too.
    >>

    > Then you write "Mac". And, if you're talking about a Pee-Cee, you know
    > nothing. Artists and photographer and Videographers and Film People were
    > working on Macs when Pee-Cees were laboring over MS-DOS.

    "Were" might be the operative word here.

    DP
    John Smith, Apr 24, 2007
  18. Robin

    George Kerby Guest

    On 4/23/07 6:06 PM, in article C252A636.22601%,
    "George Kerby" <> wrote:

    > On 4/23/07 3:08 PM, in article ,
    > "Robin" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Me too.
    >>

    > Then you write "Mac". And, if you're talking about a Pee-Cee, you know
    > nothing. Artists and photographer and Videographers and Film People were
    > working on Macs when Pee-Cees were laboring over MS-DOS.
    >
    > I guess if you like crashes and viri, go on, knock yourself out!

    Let me add:

    "While malware is a growing problem for users of Windows operating systems,
    there is little evidence of the problem affecting users of Apple Macs
    running OS X or PCs instaled with Linux."

    George Kerby, Apr 25, 2007