    to do it? If there's more than one way, the least expensive..
    Thanks in advance,
    lucy
    Lucy, Apr 21, 2005

  2. Lucy

    °Mike° Guest

    In <eZT9e.978$%>,
    Lucy took 12 lines to utter:

    >Ok.. please, only serious responses?

    Ok, first things first. The munged email address that you are
    using contains a valid domain. Unless you truly have an account
    with "nosuchwebsite.com", you should change it. Please ONLY
    use the TLD "invalid" in a munged address, eg: lid .

    See:
    whois -h whois.crsnic.net nosuchwebsite.com
    Domain: nosuchwebsite.com

    Registrant
    North American Internet, LLC

    5201 Kingston Pike, Suite 6323
    Knoxville, TN 37919 US

    <snipped for brevity>

    Record created on October 10, 2004
    Record last updated on October 14, 2004
    Record expires on October 10, 2005

    Domain Name Servers:
    ns5.itsyourdomain.com
    ns6.itsyourdomain.com

    >Yes, I am fairly new to computers.. and have a serious question.
    >I just started a home business, and now have various document files, a
    >software program, old emails, email addresses, website 'favorites' that I
    >need to backup and save.. in case I need to put them on another computer in
    >the future.
    >How is this done? Will someone please take the time to walk me through how
    >to do it? If there's more than one way, the least expensive..
    >Thanks in advance,
    >lucy

    Try Cobian Backup (free):
    http://www2.educ.umu.se/~cobian/
    http://www2.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cbu5.htm

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 21, 2005

  3. Lucy

    Lucy Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > In <eZT9e.978$%>,
    > Lucy took 12 lines to utter:
    >
    >>Ok.. please, only serious responses?

    > Ok, first things first. The munged email address that you are
    > using contains a valid domain. Unless you truly have an account
    > with "nosuchwebsite.com", you should change it. Please ONLY
    > use the TLD "invalid" in a munged address, eg: lid .

    Mike,
    I'm not sure what 'tld' is, but I changed it to nosuch.invalid.
    Sorry about that. I wasn't trying to use someone else's website,
    I just didn't want spam. Sorry.
    I will check out the websites you gave me.
    Thanks for your time and knowledge, on both issues.
    lucy

    Lucy, Apr 22, 2005
  4. Lucy

    °Mike° Guest

    In <7xZ9e.987$>,
    Lucy took 62 lines to utter:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> In <eZT9e.978$%>,
    >> Lucy took 12 lines to utter:
    >>
    >>>Ok.. please, only serious responses?

    >> Ok, first things first. The munged email address that you are
    >> using contains a valid domain. Unless you truly have an account
    >> with "nosuchwebsite.com", you should change it. Please ONLY
    >> use the TLD "invalid" in a munged address, eg: lid .

    >Mike,
    >I'm not sure what 'tld' is,

    It's an acronym for Top Level Domain, such as .com or .net .

    >but I changed it to nosuch.invalid.
    >Sorry about that. I wasn't trying to use someone else's website,
    >I just didn't want spam. Sorry.

    There's no need to apologise; you were obviously acting with
    the best intentions, and what's more you have immediately
    remedied the situation, so I thank you for that.

    >I will check out the websites you gave me.
    >Thanks for your time and knowledge, on both issues.
    >lucy

    You're welcome.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 22, 2005
  5. Lucy

    ProfGene Guest

    Lucy wrote:
    > Ok.. please, only serious responses?
    > Yes, I am fairly new to computers.. and have a serious question.
    > I just started a home business, and now have various document files, a
    > software program, old emails, email addresses, website 'favorites' that I
    > need to backup and save.. in case I need to put them on another computer in
    > the future.
    > How is this done? Will someone please take the time to walk me through how
    > to do it? If there's more than one way, the least expensive..
    > Thanks in advance,
    > lucy

    In the past such materials were always stored on floppies but now blank
    cds are cheaper than floppies and I have noticed that old floppies
    sometimes go bad so if you take good care of it a cd would porbably last
    longer. The material you are talking about sounds like it would not
    take up much space so either burn it to a cd or buy a small jump drive
    that holds a few hundred megs depending on how big a on you get. If you
    are really worried about losing the data make more than one backup.
    Blank cds can be bought at as low as 10 cents each and hold 700 megs of
    data. You can always get them for about 30 cents each so burning an
    extra one won't cost that much. If you have xp you can simply copy and
    paste and XP will ask you if you want to burn the material to a cd or
    you can use the burning program that comes with your burner. Save the
    emails as text since there is that option and text is easier to open
    when you want to access the material.
    ProfGene, Apr 22, 2005
  6. Lucy

    Lucy Guest