Backing Up Registry: How Please ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jan 1, 2006.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Running XP.

    Will probably be trying a "Registry Cleaner" (CCleaner most likely) to try
    and
    get rid of a bunch of Norton AV stuff that didn't un-install completely, or
    correctly.

    Gusee it would be wise to Back-Up my Registry prior to doing so.

    Have no idea how to.
    How would I do this, please ?

    Guess I should also ask: How would I resurrect the Registry, if , God
    Forbid, the cleaner(s) mess something up ?

    BTW: (how would i know if "any" registry setting is actually messed up
    after using ?)

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Jan 1, 2006

  2. Robert11

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Robert - First, before you use a Registry Cleaner, see here for removal
    instructions for Norton/Symantec c**p: http://basconotw.mvps.org/SymRem.htm

    Now, a warning about Registry Cleaners and how to back up your Registry -

    In my experience all of these Reg cleaners, even the best, are fraught with
    danger. I advise against using them except in one specific instance, that
    is when you have one that is capable of doing specific Reg searches, and you
    NEED (not just WANT) to remove the remaining traces of something that didn't
    get uninstalled correctly. (and you didn't have foresight enough to install
    it using Total Uninstall, http://www.martau.com/ or free direct dwnld here:
    http://digilander.libero.it/molearchive3/tun235.zip or here:
    http://freeware4u.com/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=234, in the
    first place.) (As an aside, there are, however, some third party Registry
    Editors which can be of great help with both the incorrect uninstall and
    with certain malware problems, especially some of theCoolWebSearch types
    such as the AppInit_DLLs variant of the about:blank version of CWS, for
    example. I can recommend Registrar Lite, here:
    http://www.resplendence.com/reglite .)

    There are a couple of specific bugs that can cause abnormal growth in either
    the System or Software hives; however, they are rare, and unless these hives
    in %SystemRoot%\System32\config are very, very large (in the hundreds of
    megabytes), then I would council you to leave your Registry alone except for
    the special circumstances I mentioned above.

    I and most other MVP's that I know believe that Registry modifications of
    any type are probably best done manually, very carefully, with a thorough
    knowledge of what's installed on your machine, and what you're doing, and
    then only when necessary. There's very little (if any!) noticeable benefit
    in either space saving or speed achievable by cleaning out the Registry
    except in those few cases where there's a specific problem the client is
    experiencing (usually uninstall or malware related in my experience) that
    needs to be fixed.

    Lastly, if you must screw around with your Registry, then at least get
    Erunt/Erdnt, and run it before you do the Reg clean. You'll then have a
    true restore available to you. Read below to see why you might not just
    using the Reg cleaner's restore:

    Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/index.htm I've set it up to
    take a scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis,
    and a Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt, and for some
    useful information about this subject.

    This program is one of the best things around - saved my butt on many
    occasions, and will also run very nicely from a DOS prompt (in case you've
    done something that won't let you boot any more and need to revert to a
    previous Registry) IF you're FAT32 OR have a DOS startup disk with NTFS
    write drivers in an NTFS system. (There is also a way using the Recovery
    Console to get back to being "bootable" even without separate DOS write NTFS
    drivers, after which you can do a "normal" Erdnt restore.) (BTW, it also
    includes a Registry defragger program). Free, and very, very highly
    recommended.

    FYI, quoting from the above document:

    "Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to make a
    complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry
    (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can the
    exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old
    one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current
    registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new registry keys.

    FWIW, the second question I ask clients is whether they've recently used a
    Reg Cleaner or tried to restore from one. (The first question I ask is
    whether they've any non-commercial Norton/Symantec software installed.
    )

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    Jim Byrd, Jan 1, 2006

  3. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    To Mr. Byrd From OP: Re: Backing Up Registry: How Please ?

    Hi,

    Just want to say a real quick thanks for all the time you
    took to answer my query in such detail.

    Just what i was looking for.

    Thanks again,
    Bob
    ----------------

    Robert11, Jan 1, 2006
  4. Robert11

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Re: To Mr. Byrd From OP: Re: Backing Up Registry: How Please ?

    YW, Robert - Actually, it wasn't as much effort as you might think - most of
    that was a "canned" reply that was already to hand, since the Reg Cleaner
    question is one that frequently arises in these groups. :)

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    http://DefendingYourMachine.blogspot.com/

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >> --
    >> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    >> My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    >> http://DefendingYourMachine.blogspot.com/
    >>

    >> "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello:
    >>>
    >>> Running XP.
    >>>
    >>> Will probably be trying a "Registry Cleaner" (CCleaner most likely) to

    try
    >>> and
    >>> get rid of a bunch of Norton AV stuff that didn't un-install completely,

    or
    >>> correctly.
    >>>
    >>> Gusee it would be wise to Back-Up my Registry prior to doing so.
    >>>
    >>> Have no idea how to.
    >>> How would I do this, please ?
    >>>
    >>> Guess I should also ask: How would I resurrect the Registry, if , God
    >>> Forbid, the cleaner(s) mess something up ?
    >>>
    >>> BTW: (how would i know if "any" registry setting is actually messed up

    >>> Bob

    Jim Byrd, Jan 1, 2006
  5. Robert11

    Bill P Guest

    "Jim Byrd" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > benefit
    > in either space saving or speed achievable by cleaning out the Registry
    > except in those few cases where there's a specific problem the client is
    > experiencing (usually uninstall or malware related in my experience) that
    > needs to be fixed.
    >
    > Lastly, if you must screw around with your Registry, then at least get
    > Erunt/Erdnt, and run it before you do the Reg clean. You'll then have a
    > true restore available to you. Read below to see why you might not just
    > using the Reg cleaner's restore:
    >
    > Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
    > http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/index.htm I've set it up
    > take a scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin
    > basis,
    > and a Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:

    Hi Jim
    I've been following this thread with interest. The two links you give for
    Erunt seem to be for T- Online in German.
    Can you give an English link please.
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Jan 1, 2006
  6. Robert11

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Bill and Robert - Sorry 'bout that! Those are indeed old links. Here
    are the correct ones:

    and

    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

    Thanks, Bill, for catching that! :)

    Jim Byrd, Jan 1, 2006
  7. Robert11

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 11:29:29 -0500 If you fall from a tree,leave your
    anger on the branch and then "Robert11" <> sent this
    :

    >Hello:
    >
    >Running XP.
    >
    >Will probably be trying a "Registry Cleaner" (CCleaner most likely) to try
    >and
    >get rid of a bunch of Norton AV stuff that didn't un-install completely, or
    >correctly.
    >
    >Gusee it would be wise to Back-Up my Registry prior to doing so.
    >
    >Have no idea how to.
    >How would I do this, please ?
    >
    >Guess I should also ask: How would I resurrect the Registry, if , God
    >Forbid, the cleaner(s) mess something up ?
    >
    >BTW: (how would i know if "any" registry setting is actually messed up
    >after using ?)
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bob

    http://windows.about.com/od/registry/l/aa020407a.htm

    I've been running registry cleaners since Win95/b and never had a
    problem.I use Easy cleaner's/CCcleaners and Regseeker on winXP and
    win98SE,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html

    you can also compact the registry hives in win XP ,
    after cleaning.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Jan 1, 2006
  8. Robert11

    Plato Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Will probably be trying a "Registry Cleaner" (CCleaner most likely) to try
    > and
    > get rid of a bunch of Norton AV stuff that didn't un-install completely, or
    > correctly.

    Nortons removal tools:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/helpdesk.htm

    Plato, Jan 2, 2006