Backing up my hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mama Bear, Oct 29, 2006.

  1. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    I have two equally sized hard drives in my computer ( 40 gb ), one on a
    removable plug port so I can stash it away in a safe place afterwards, and
    was using Norton Ghost to make an image drive of it.

    But we dumped Norton and Symantec because it suddenly started falsely
    telling me that I was using it on too many computers ( I wasn't! only one!
    ) and they wouldn't help me with the problem because I bought the retail
    package on ebay! So we no longer buy Symantec.

    But what can I used now instead?

    Is there any good freeware out there that can do the same thing that Ghost
    could?

    I wonder if my floppy of Ghost will still work, even though I've removed
    the Systemworks from my computer now?

    --
    - Mama Bear

    Mama Bear, Oct 29, 2006

  2. Mama Bear wrote:

    > I have two equally sized hard drives in my computer ( 40 gb ), one on a
    > removable plug port so I can stash it away in a safe place afterwards, and
    > was using Norton Ghost to make an image drive of it.
    >
    > But we dumped Norton and Symantec because it suddenly started falsely
    > telling me that I was using it on too many computers ( I wasn't! only one!
    > ) and they wouldn't help me with the problem because I bought the retail
    > package on ebay! So we no longer buy Symantec.

    Next time that may happen with windows as well, if you have clones on two
    harddrives ...

    > But what can I used now instead?

    For ghosting, best use a linux live cd (knoppix, gparted minicd).
    > I wonder if my floppy of Ghost will still work, even though I've removed
    > the Systemworks from my computer now?

    It should. Of course, it is designed for emergency purposes.

    Walter Mautner, Oct 29, 2006

  3. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    Walter Mautner <> wrote :

    > Mama Bear wrote:
    >
    >> I have two equally sized hard drives in my computer ( 40 gb ), one
    >> on a removable plug port so I can stash it away in a safe place
    >> afterwards, and was using Norton Ghost to make an image drive of it.
    >>
    >> But we dumped Norton and Symantec because it suddenly started
    >> falsely telling me that I was using it on too many computers ( I
    >> wasn't! only one! ) and they wouldn't help me with the problem
    >> because I bought the retail package on ebay! So we no longer buy
    >> Symantec.
    >>

    > Next time that may happen with windows as well, if you have clones on
    > two harddrives ...

    They can tell that I ran a backup copy on my portable drive?

    >> But what can I used now instead?
    >>

    > For ghosting, best use a linux live cd (knoppix, gparted minicd).

    I don't use linux, I use Windows XP.

    Mama Bear, Oct 29, 2006
  4. Mama Bear wrote:

    > Walter Mautner <> wrote :

    >> Next time that may happen with windows as well, if you have clones on
    >> two harddrives ...

    > They can tell that I ran a backup copy on my portable drive?

    Not that - but 3 changes add to a new activation.
    A new harddrive (when you play back the backup after changing a defective
    harddrive) makes new GUIDs. If you changed some other parts as well
    (network or wireless card, graphic/sound or whatever) you may hit that
    limit.

    >>> But what can I used now instead?
    >>>

    >> For ghosting, best use a linux live cd (knoppix, gparted minicd).

    > I don't use linux, I use Windows XP.

    Yes, but it's just a "live cd". Does not install, consider it as a tool.

    Walter Mautner, Oct 29, 2006
  5. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    Walter Mautner <> wrote :

    > Mama Bear wrote:
    >
    >> Walter Mautner <> wrote :

    >>> Next time that may happen with windows as well, if you have clones
    >>> on two harddrives ...

    >> They can tell that I ran a backup copy on my portable drive?
    >>

    > Not that - but 3 changes add to a new activation.

    That was another issue we had with Symantec. We bought a new computer
    and deleted the old copy on the old computer, WHILE still online, but
    they said we had it installed on too many computers and disabled it.
    They stink.

    > A new harddrive (when you play back the backup after changing a
    > defective harddrive) makes new GUIDs. If you changed some other parts
    > as well (network or wireless card, graphic/sound or whatever) you may
    > hit that limit.

    We hit it just buying a new computer.

    >>> For ghosting, best use a linux live cd (knoppix, gparted minicd).

    >> I don't use linux, I use Windows XP.
    >>

    > Yes, but it's just a "live cd". Does not install, consider it as a
    > tool.

    I'm not familiar with them. Are those the names of ghosting programs?

    --
    - Mama Bear

    Mama Bear, Oct 29, 2006