    McAffee have automatic updates which sometimes require a restart and the
    whole thing is USB 1.0 so going to take a very long time. Any advice
    greatly appreciated. thanks.

    Caroline, Jun 18, 2006

  2. Caroline

    beenthere Guest

    "Caroline" <> wrote in message
    news:NKblg.452348$...
    > Hi, I am moving home and must backup 2 hard-drives beforehand - just in
    > case....!
    > I have a large capacity external HDD and ready to go. I have Win98se and
    > broadband connection.
    > My question is, would it make any difference if I did it in safe-mode? ie,
    > would it be any faster?
    > McAffee have automatic updates which sometimes require a restart and the
    > whole thing is USB 1.0 so going to take a very long time. Any advice
    > greatly appreciated. thanks.

    You don`t say what program you are going to use to backup.
    Your best bet is to do an Image of each drive to your External.
    Disconnect from the Internet while you backup.
    That way you`ll get no interference.

    beenthere, Jun 18, 2006

  3. Caroline

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:33:49 +0000, Caroline wrote:

    > Hi, I am moving home and must backup 2 hard-drives beforehand - just in
    > case....!
    > I have a large capacity external HDD and ready to go. I have Win98se and
    > a broadband connection.
    > My question is, would it make any difference if I did it in safe-mode? ie,
    > would it be any faster?
    > McAffee have automatic updates which sometimes require a restart and the
    > whole thing is USB 1.0 so going to take a very long time. Any advice
    > greatly appreciated. thanks.

    take the drives out of the PC and transport them seperately preferably
    with you

    Meat Plow, Jun 18, 2006
  4. Caroline

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Jun 18, 2006
  5. Caroline

    richard Guest

    "Caroline" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am moving home and must backup 2 hard-drives beforehand - just in
    > case....!
    > I have a large capacity external HDD and ready to go. I have Win98se and
    > broadband connection.
    > My question is, would it make any difference if I did it in safe-mode? ie,
    > would it be any faster?
    > McAffee have automatic updates which sometimes require a restart and the
    > whole thing is USB 1.0 so going to take a very long time. Any advice
    > greatly appreciated. thanks.

    Be careful with that puppy. I learned my lesson real quick. Accidentally
    kicked one onto the floor and it refused to work.
    To hopefully cure that problem, I bought another drive, but as an internal
    and a USB external box for it.
    So far, I've had no problems with it. I figure it's in the way they are
    built.

    You probably won't find any difference using safe mode. What you want to use
    is a "disk copy" program rather than a burner. Haven't used a disk copy yet
    so I don't know what to say on difference in time would be.

    richard, Jun 19, 2006
  6. Caroline

    richard Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:33:49 +0000, Caroline wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I am moving home and must backup 2 hard-drives beforehand - just in
    >> case....!
    >> I have a large capacity external HDD and ready to go. I have Win98se and
    >> a broadband connection.
    >> My question is, would it make any difference if I did it in safe-mode?
    >> ie,
    >> would it be any faster?
    >> McAffee have automatic updates which sometimes require a restart and the
    >> whole thing is USB 1.0 so going to take a very long time. Any advice
    >> greatly appreciated. thanks.

    > take the drives out of the PC and transport them seperately preferably
    > with you

    Some!

    Kloo>>>>Serbian.

    richard, Jun 19, 2006