    music degrade? Alternatively, is there a way where I will only back up files
    which are not alread on the external drive? Thanks.
    , Apr 1, 2007

  2. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I run several websites. A while back, I bought a WD 500Gb external USB
    >drive for
    > backup. One of my sites has a large number of both video and sound files,
    > mostly
    > music. What I'm wondering is when I back up regularly to the external
    > drive, if
    > I just write over all the files every time, will the quality of the video
    > and
    > music degrade?

    No. Digital media (computer data files) are not like analog media (cassette
    / video tapes). Whey you copy them, there is no degradation. This is why the
    whole DRM crap came into existance. The copies are as good as the original,
    so people started giving away copies and the artists/studios etc. were
    losing sales of originals.

    > Alternatively, is there a way where I will only back up files
    > which are not alread on the external drive? Thanks.

    Certainly - and as a time saver it's the bomb! Software like Karen's
    Replicator and SyncBack (both free) can provide exactly that kind of
    function. Locally, at least. I haven't tried them over an HTTP or FTP
    connection.
    WhzzKdd, Apr 1, 2007

  3. Guest

    wrote:

    >I run several websites. A while back, I bought a WD 500Gb external USB drive for
    >backup. One of my sites has a large number of both video and sound files, mostly
    >music. What I'm wondering is when I back up regularly to the external drive, if
    >I just write over all the files every time, will the quality of the video and
    >music degrade? Alternatively, is there a way where I will only back up files
    >which are not alread on the external drive? Thanks.

    Somebody posted this awhile ago, maybe you can make use of it.

    ========
    Circuit City has an 80GB dual-option USB External Drive (7200 RPM) on
    sale for $49.99 after $50.00 worth of rebates. I have a couple of
    them.
    One I purchased from OfficeMax about a month ago, the other from
    Circuit City yesterday. I don't much care for the Dantz Retrospect
    Backup Software that comes with the WD external hard drive. I use
    XXCOPY (freeware) that works wonderfully with the drives. Once
    installed, XXCOPY can be run from the Start Run box, a batch file, or
    in DOS mode.

    Once I have made the initial backup, which can take several hours on a
    computer system, the incremental backups take about 1/2 hour on each
    of
    my three systems. The command I run from a batch file for incremental
    backup is as follows:

    XXCOPY C:\ H:Office-Drive-C /S /PB /DA /H0 /BI /FF /Po0 /X*.tmp

    where I backup from drive C (the source) to H:\Office-Drive-C (the
    target). On my laptop the target is drive E:\Laptop-Drive-C.
    On my home desktop, the target is is E:\Home-Drive-C.

    The slash (/) commands I use with XXCOPY do the following:

    /S Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.
    /PB Shows Progress bar for the job (default file progress >=
    1M).
    /DA Copies newer files and brand new files.
    /H0 Excludes hidden and/or system files (default).
    /BI Backs up incrementally, different (by time/size) files only.
    /FF Fuzzy Filetime (same as /FF2S --- matches within 2 sec).
    /Po0 Suppresses warning on file-overwrite (Legacy /Y).

    In reality, /DA and /BI are probably equivalent. In addition, /H0
    probably is not needed. But I use it anyway. /Po0 is needed, otherwise
    I would have to sit and watch the monitor to know when to enter Y to
    enable a file overwrite.

    When connected to any of my three computers, the files on an external
    drive are just as readable as on drive C. Also, I can update, copy,
    and
    delete files on the external drive.

    I update every day, usually before I go home or before the end of the
    evening. Once a week, I swap the two external drives between the home
    desktop or laptop and the office computer. That way, from a computer
    at
    home or in the office, I can access the files that were stored on the
    other computer no more than a week ago. Prior to going on the road, I
    do an incremental backup on all computers and take one of the external
    drives with me. That way, if I need a file on one of the other
    computers, I have it.

    John

    --
    Ground Control To Major Tom - (Animation)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=jldQ7Z-LawQ
  4. Frosty Guest

    On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 13:38:03 -0400 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    , intended to write something intelligible, but
    instead wrote :

    >I run several websites. A while back, I bought a WD 500Gb external USB drive for
    >backup. One of my sites has a large number of both video and sound files, mostly
    >music. What I'm wondering is when I back up regularly to the external drive, if
    >I just write over all the files every time, will the quality of the video and
    >music degrade? Alternatively, is there a way where I will only back up files
    >which are not alread on the external drive? Thanks.

    I gotta have my glasses checked.
    I read that as "backing up flies" and I wondered why anyone would.
    Frosty, Apr 2, 2007
  5. sittingduck Guest

    wrote:

    > if I just write over all the files every time, will the quality of the
    > video and music degrade?

    No

    > Alternatively, is there a way where I will only back up files which are not
    > alread on the external drive? Thanks.

    Use ftp, and tell your ftp program to skip matching files.
    sittingduck, Apr 2, 2007