Backing up files to DVD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Colin, Sep 24, 2007.

  1. Colin

    Colin Guest

    Hello all.

    I have various folders on my PC such as snaps, or MP3s etc, a
    collection going back some years now. In the past I have been copying
    these folders to various hard drives as a backup in case things went
    wrong on the existing drives.

    I should now like to play it extra safe and back these folders up to
    DVD discs, which is fine as long as the folders are smaller than about
    4.5gb (one disc) but these folders are 45gb and 25gb, so I need to
    backup to multiple discs, whilst retaining the ability to use each
    disc in a PC as a folder in it's own right ie: I don't need any
    programmes to access them (ghost etc).

    It must be possible, but how?

    --

    blanks

    Colin, Sep 24, 2007

  2. Colin

    Jack Pott Guest

    "Colin" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all.
    >
    > I have various folders on my PC such as snaps, or MP3s etc, a
    > collection going back some years now. In the past I have been copying
    > these folders to various hard drives as a backup in case things went
    > wrong on the existing drives.
    >
    > I should now like to play it extra safe and back these folders up to
    > DVD discs, which is fine as long as the folders are smaller than about
    > 4.5gb (one disc) but these folders are 45gb and 25gb, so I need to
    > backup to multiple discs, whilst retaining the ability to use each
    > disc in a PC as a folder in it's own right ie: I don't need any
    > programmes to access them (ghost etc).
    >
    > It must be possible, but how?

    Current backup practice is to back up to an external USB hard drive-- huge
    ones (up to 500 GB) are not very expensive. Smaller ones- 160-250 GB are
    downright cheap.

    If you're committed to using DVDs, use one free/cheap backup programs that
    will break the large folders across several disks.It sound like you're
    really not "backing up" -- just making copies of data from your HD to a DVD.

    Jack
    Jack Pott, Sep 24, 2007

  3. Colin

    Colin Guest

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:02:42 -0400, "Jack Pott" <jack@> wrote:

    >"Colin" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello all.
    >>
    >> I have various folders on my PC such as snaps, or MP3s etc, a
    >> collection going back some years now. In the past I have been copying
    >> these folders to various hard drives as a backup in case things went
    >> wrong on the existing drives.
    >>
    >> I should now like to play it extra safe and back these folders up to
    >> DVD discs, which is fine as long as the folders are smaller than about
    >> 4.5gb (one disc) but these folders are 45gb and 25gb, so I need to
    >> backup to multiple discs, whilst retaining the ability to use each
    >> disc in a PC as a folder in it's own right ie: I don't need any
    >> programmes to access them (ghost etc).
    >>
    >> It must be possible, but how?
    >>

    >Current backup practice is to back up to an external USB hard drive-- huge
    >ones (up to 500 GB) are not very expensive. Smaller ones- 160-250 GB are
    >downright cheap.

    I did think of that, and that's pretty much what I am doing now
    anyway. I don't like it because that means I have everything in one
    place, so if it fails I lose the lot.

    >If you're committed to using DVDs, use one free/cheap backup programs that
    >will break the large folders across several disks.It sound like you're
    >really not "backing up" -- just making copies of data from your HD to a DVD.

    Exactly.
    --

    blanks

    Colin, Sep 24, 2007
  4. Colin

    Jack Pott Guest

    "Colin" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:02:42 -0400, "Jack Pott" <jack@> wrote:
    >
    >>"Colin" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello all.
    >>>
    >>> I have various folders on my PC such as snaps, or MP3s etc, a
    >>> collection going back some years now. In the past I have been copying
    >>> these folders to various hard drives as a backup in case things went
    >>> wrong on the existing drives.
    >>>
    >>> I should now like to play it extra safe and back these folders up to
    >>> DVD discs, which is fine as long as the folders are smaller than about
    >>> 4.5gb (one disc) but these folders are 45gb and 25gb, so I need to
    >>> backup to multiple discs, whilst retaining the ability to use each
    >>> disc in a PC as a folder in it's own right ie: I don't need any
    >>> programmes to access them (ghost etc).
    >>>
    >>> It must be possible, but how?
    >>>

    >>Current backup practice is to back up to an external USB hard drive-- huge
    >>ones (up to 500 GB) are not very expensive. Smaller ones- 160-250 GB are
    >>downright cheap.

    > I did think of that, and that's pretty much what I am doing now
    > anyway. I don't like it because that means I have everything in one
    > place, so if it fails I lose the lot.

    Have you looked at the MTBF for hard drives currently? The moon will crash
    into the Earth before the average HD fails.

    I have two external HDs I use-- one I keep in a media safe in my home
    office, the other in a safe deposit box at the bank. I swap them out every
    few weeks so I'm always pretty current-- and bullet proof if the house burns
    and the safe fails.

    Also, I taped two hundred dollar bills inside the roof of the safe with a
    note to a burglar that says :Hey, do me a favor, take the bills, leave the
    drive!"
    Jack Pott, Sep 24, 2007
  5. Colin

    steve Guest

    "Jack Pott" <jack@> wrote >

    > Have you looked at the MTBF for hard drives currently? The moon will crash
    > into the Earth before the average HD fails.

    I brought two external hard drives. One failed within 8 months. Although
    it was under guarantee I could not get a replacement without sending the
    faylty one back to the manufacturer, compete with all 3000 of my photos and
    the travel diary that was with them. Now I backup on DVD as well.
    steve, Sep 24, 2007
  6. Colin

    Colin Guest

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:34:16 -0400, "Jack Pott" <jack@> wrote:

    >"Colin" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:02:42 -0400, "Jack Pott" <jack@> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Colin" <> wrote in message

    >>>Current backup practice is to back up to an external USB hard drive-- huge
    >>>ones (up to 500 GB) are not very expensive. Smaller ones- 160-250 GB are
    >>>downright cheap.

    >> I did think of that, and that's pretty much what I am doing now
    >> anyway. I don't like it because that means I have everything in one
    >> place, so if it fails I lose the lot.
    >>

    >Have you looked at the MTBF for hard drives currently? The moon will crash
    >into the Earth before the average HD fails.
    >
    >I have two external HDs I use-- one I keep in a media safe in my home
    >office, the other in a safe deposit box at the bank. I swap them out every
    >few weeks so I'm always pretty current-- and bullet proof if the house burns
    >and the safe fails.

    I've had three fail in two years.

    >Also, I taped two hundred dollar bills inside the roof of the safe with a
    >note to a burglar that says :Hey, do me a favor, take the bills, leave the
    >drive!"

    Lol
    --

    blanks

    Colin, Sep 24, 2007
  7. Colin

    old man Guest

    I had two fail within a year, both under waranty, and had glowing reviews.

    old man, Sep 25, 2007
  8. Colin

    Thip Guest

    "Colin" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all.
    >
    > I have various folders on my PC such as snaps, or MP3s etc, a
    > collection going back some years now. In the past I have been copying
    > these folders to various hard drives as a backup in case things went
    > wrong on the existing drives.
    >
    > I should now like to play it extra safe and back these folders up to
    > DVD discs, which is fine as long as the folders are smaller than about
    > 4.5gb (one disc) but these folders are 45gb and 25gb, so I need to
    > backup to multiple discs, whilst retaining the ability to use each
    > disc in a PC as a folder in it's own right ie: I don't need any
    > programmes to access them (ghost etc).
    >
    > It must be possible, but how?

    I had the same problem and never found a solution (just what you wanted to
    hear, I know). I ended up orgamizing everything logically--first the MP3's,
    then into MP3 subfolders, for instance--and then backing it all up to DVD's.
    I have 9 of them, each labeled in such a way I can pretty much locate what I
    want quickly (MP3 A thru D, Graphic Utilities, etc.). It took time, BUT
    since I got it all off a failed hard drive and onto another drive ( ! ), I
    think it was time well spent. Once a year, I copy it all onto new DVD's,
    but I keep the old ones. Talk about having backups of backups of backups.
    I've had enough media fail to make me very paranoid.
    Thip, Sep 25, 2007
  9. Colin

    Plato Guest

    Colin wrote:

    > I have various folders on my PC such as snaps, or MP3s etc, a
    > collection going back some years now. In the past I have been copying
    > these folders to various hard drives as a backup in case things went
    > wrong on the existing drives.
    >
    > I should now like to play it extra safe and back these folders up to
    > DVD discs, which is fine as long as the folders are smaller than about
    > 4.5gb (one disc) but these folders are 45gb and 25gb, so I need to
    > backup to multiple discs, whilst retaining the ability to use each
    > disc in a PC as a folder in it's own right ie: I don't need any
    > programmes to access them (ghost etc).

    IT's always a good idea to have at least two forms of backup.
    Personally, I use 5. You might want to invest in a USP hard drive as
    another option to avoid the space problem.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 7, 2007