Backing-Up Files Question: What's Most Popular Technique These Days ? et al

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    a. Haven't thought about this for a while:

    What's the most popular way to back-up files these days (e.g., 5 to 10 GB or
    so) ?

    Is it via a DVD, or external HD, or... ?

    A few others, if you have a minute, please:

    b. What is the capacity of a DVD ?

    c. How much faster, typically, is USB 2 vs USB 1 ?

    d. Is "Firewire" a synonum for USB 2 ?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Dominic Guest

    > What's the most popular way to back-up files these days (e.g., 5 to
    > 10 GB or so) ?

    I put some data on to my second hard drive, some on to DVD. Large
    organisations use high capacity magnetic tapes. It depends what your needs
    are and how important your data is.

    > b. What is the capacity of a DVD ?

    Depends what kind of DVD. Look at:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q="what is the capacity of a dvd"

    > c. How much faster, typically, is USB 2 vs USB 1 ?

    USB 1.1 is 12Mbit/sec max, USB 2.0 is capable of max 480Mbit/sec. Again,
    Google has the answer:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=speed of usb 2

    > d. Is "Firewire" a synonum for USB 2 ?

    No.

    Hope this helps.

    Dominic
    Dominic, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Robert11

    D Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    > a. Haven't thought about this for a while:

    > What's the most popular way to back-up files these days (e.g., 5 to 10 GB

    or
    > so) ? > Is it via a DVD, or external HD, or... ?

    i prefer to have two internal HDD in all of my most important machines.
    drive 0= Op System and install programs
    drive 1= exe, zip or rar's of all programs + ghost image of drive 0 + all
    backed up data (ie: documents, pictures etc)
    using this system, my files are easily accessible + should my drive 0 ever
    crash or get a serious virus infection, I can format and reimage the drive
    in less than 5 minutes without having to re-install everything or take time
    to backup everything (because it is already safely backed up on separate
    physical drive
    then as an extra precaution I can burn a second backup of my most important
    data and keep it offsite

    > A few others, if you have a minute, please:
    > b. What is the capacity of a DVD ?

    i believe the current capacity is 4.7 GB. however, having said that, the
    double sided DVDs are due out any week now which will almost double a DVD's
    capacity.

    > c. How much faster, typically, is USB 2 vs USB 1 ?

    USB 1.1 runs at 12 Mbps (10X faster than serial)
    USB 2.0 runs at 480 Mbps (is backwards compatible to 1.1)

    > d. Is "Firewire" a synonum for USB 2 ?

    NO, USB 2.0 and firewire are two completely separate beasts. do a google
    search on each of the above to learn more.

    Good luck,

    D, Aug 6, 2004
  4. On 06 Aug 2004, Robert11 wrote

    > Hello:
    >
    > a. Haven't thought about this for a while:
    >
    > What's the most popular way to back-up files these days (e.g., 5
    > to 10 GB or so) ?

    Not sure what's "most popular", but FWIW I double back-up: to an
    external 40 GB HD on USB 2 -- uncompressed vanilla copies, using Polder
    Backup -- and to CDs (uncompressed "BackUp My PC" .qic files).

    --
    Cheers,
    Harvey
    Harvey Van Sickle, Aug 6, 2004
  5. Robert11

    JD Guest

    "Harvey Van Sickle" <> wrote in message
    > On 06 Aug 2004, Robert11 wrote
    >
    > > Hello:
    > >
    > > a. Haven't thought about this for a while:
    > >
    > > What's the most popular way to back-up files these days (e.g., 5
    > > to 10 GB or so) ?

    > Not sure what's "most popular", but FWIW I double back-up: to an
    > external 40 GB HD on USB 2 -- uncompressed vanilla copies, using

    Polder
    > Backup -- and to CDs (uncompressed "BackUp My PC" .qic files).
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Harvey

    Can a USB2 be plugged into a USb1 outlet? If the answer is yes
    would a USB2 External HD Work properly if used in a USB1 outlet.

    Thanks JD
    JD, Aug 6, 2004
  6. Robert11

    D Guest

    yes USB 2 can be plugged into a USB 1 outlet but you will only get USB 1.1
    speeds (max 12 Mbps)

    D, Aug 6, 2004
  7. On 06 Aug 2004, JD wrote
    > "Harvey Van Sickle" <> wrote in message
    >> On 06 Aug 2004, Robert11 wrote

    >>> What's the most popular way to back-up files these days (e.g., 5
    >>> to 10 GB or so) ?

    >> Not sure what's "most popular", but FWIW I double back-up: to an
    >> external 40 GB HD on USB 2 -- uncompressed vanilla copies, using
    >> Polder Backup -- and to CDs (uncompressed "BackUp My PC" .qic
    >> files).

    > Can a USB2 be plugged into a USb1 outlet? If the answer is yes
    > would a USB2 External HD Work properly if used in a USB1 outlet.

    Yes, it works fine -- I also connect the external drive too a fairly
    old laptop with USB 1.1, to transfer files.

    It works a treat -- it just runs slower.

    --
    Cheers,
    Harvey
    Harvey Van Sickle, Aug 6, 2004
  8. Robert11

    Tech Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello:
    >
    > a. Haven't thought about this for a while:
    >
    > What's the most popular way to back-up files these days (e.g., 5 to 10 GB
    > or so) ?
    >
    > Is it via a DVD, or external HD, or... ?

    Probably a combination of techniques. It depends on the application.

    DVD may be too slow for high volume, and not automated.
    External HDD is good.
    Enterprises use magnetic tape, such as SCSI Travan, et.al. (expensive).

    > A few others, if you have a minute, please:
    >
    > b. What is the capacity of a DVD ?

    About 1 GB

    > c. How much faster, typically, is USB 2 vs USB 1 ?

    USB is a newer standard and is faster than USB1

    > d. Is "Firewire" a synonum for USB 2 ?

    I believe Firewire is Apple's implementation.

    --
    __
    Tech, Aug 7, 2004
  9. Robert11

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 11:41:22 -0400, "Robert11" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello:
    >
    >a. Haven't thought about this for a while:
    >
    >What's the most popular way to back-up files these days (e.g., 5 to 10 GB or
    >so) ?
    >Is it via a DVD, or external HD, or... ?

    Data - depending on size, can be to CD-R(W) or DVD-R(W).
    Zip100/250/750 depending on size is quite convenient. Or to 2nd HD.

    System (usually Windows) - usually to a second hard drive, preferably
    external

    Removeable backup (CD/DVD/ext.HD) is essential for anything considered
    really vital e.g. business records. The second copy is kept away from
    the source PC, preferably "off-site" in case the source PC is stolen
    or burned etc.

    >A few others, if you have a minute, please:
    >
    >b. What is the capacity of a DVD ?

    single-sided 4.7 GB max (most common)
    double sided 8.5 GB

    >c. How much faster, typically, is USB 2 vs USB 1 ?

    Nominally 40x, but in practice something like 10-20x
    USB1.1 12 Mbps USB2 480 Mbps

    Be aware of high-speed and full-speed USB - look them up on Google.

    >d. Is "Firewire" a synonum for USB 2 ?

    No they are quite different

    >Thanks,
    >Bob

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Aug 7, 2004
  10. Robert11

    Fan Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:35:34 GMT, Tech <> wrote:

    >Robert11 wrote:
    >
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> a. Haven't thought about this for a while:
    >>
    >> What's the most popular way to back-up files these days (e.g., 5 to 10 GB
    >> or so) ?
    >>
    >> Is it via a DVD, or external HD, or... ?
    >>

    >Probably a combination of techniques. It depends on the application.
    >
    >DVD may be too slow for high volume, and not automated.
    >External HDD is good.
    >Enterprises use magnetic tape, such as SCSI Travan, et.al. (expensive).

    So do some of my small business users. One shop has four users. It is
    not just for big shops.

    >> A few others, if you have a minute, please:
    >>
    >> b. What is the capacity of a DVD ?
    >>

    >About 1 GB

    Not sure what you were referring to here, it is a nominal 4.7GB on the
    regular ones. That is an approximate number depending on several
    issues.

    There are some double layer ones that have been introduced. They are
    not in widespread use yet. It remains to be seen how reliable they
    will be, I have my doubts.

    >> c. How much faster, typically, is USB 2 vs USB 1 ?
    >>

    >USB is a newer standard and is faster than USB1

    I believe you meant to say USB2 is a newer standard...

    >> d. Is "Firewire" a synonum for USB 2 ?
    >>

    >I believe Firewire is Apple's implementation.

    It is used on IBM compatables also. It has no relationship to USB, but
    is a totally different standard. It is rapidly becoming more popular
    for things like camcorders.

    Fan, Sep 2, 2004
  11. Robert11

    pbissainthe Guest

    pbissainthe, Sep 2, 2004
  12. Robert11

    Cheryl Guest

    I have just got an external 80gig Iomega USB2 Firewire HDD and backed up on
    Ghost image to File, mind you it took me a while to figure out how to do it
    cause in the first place i cloned it ( a no no) as I then had a dual system,
    and had to format the thing, not easy as XP had control over it, anyway it
    took me a week to figure it out, but has been worth it, as 13-16 CDs are a
    pain.
    Cheryl

    Cheryl, Sep 2, 2004
  13. Robert11

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:52:50 +0930, "Cheryl" <>
    wrote:

    >I have just got an external 80gig Iomega USB2 Firewire HDD and backed up on
    >Ghost image to File, mind you it took me a while to figure out how to do it
    >cause in the first place i cloned it ( a no no) as I then had a dual system,
    >and had to format the thing, not easy as XP had control over it, anyway it
    >took me a week to figure it out, but has been worth it, as 13-16 CDs are a
    >pain.
    >Cheryl
    >"Fan" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:35:34 GMT, Tech <> wrote:

    I just created a partition and Ghosted an image to it. Took about 15
    minutes to create the 5.3 gig ghost image.
    joevan
    joevan, Sep 2, 2004