    What tool can I use to write XMP data into a JPEG? Is there a better
    tool around for backing up Exif data from PEF files and writing it back
    into JPEGs after processing?

    Hoshisato, Oct 26, 2006

  2. Hoshisato

    l v Guest

    Hoshisato wrote:
    > After processing my RAW Pentax *ist DS PEF files with Photoshop
    > Elements 3, most of the Exif information stored in the RAW image is
    > gone much to my chagrin. I have been looking at the ExifTools Perl
    > script and that allows me to copy most of the Exif data between the PEF
    > file and the JPEG file I created while keeping the possible modified
    > image sizes, etc intact. So far so good.
    > I also noticed that Exiftool can create an XMP file which contains all

    > this information in XML format. It would be great to create a little
    > tool that automatically saves all Exif data for all RAW files in XMP
    > files with the same name, but I haven't been able to figure out how

    What does the following command do for you? I cut it from exiftools FAQ.
    exiftool -o %d%f.xmp dir
    Create XMP meta information data files for all images in dir.

    You look like you are a windows user so you can try the following in a
    test directory on copies of some of your image files. It will take each
    pef file in the current directory and execute the exiftool command using
    the full file name (%F) and create an xmp file in the same directory.
    Type for /? at a command prompt to learn more. You may need to change
    the command after the "do". Put it into a batch file to reduce your
    typing to just the batch file name.

    for %F in (*.pef) do exiftool -xmp -b "%F" > "%~dpnF.xmp"

    > Exiftool can read an XMP file and write the data back into an image.
    > What tool can I use to write XMP data into a JPEG? Is there a better
    > tool around for backing up Exif data from PEF files and writing it back
    > into JPEGs after processing?

    I can't speak to the XMP data into a jpeg but exifcopy from
    http://www.hugsan.com/ *may* work for your PEF files Exif data directly
    to jpeg.

    --

    Len