Backing-up .dbx files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Emrys Davies, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    I have Win98 SE, OE6 and IE6

    I have backed-up my Favourites, Address Book and .dbx files onto a
    Flashdrive.

    Now I want to do the same with my wife's .dbx files, but there are
    slight problems. For instance, I am told that there is already a Sent
    Items file and asking if I would like to change it. Well I deleted all
    such furniture files from her identity (copy of it) and the backup
    proceeded OK.

    Thinking of restoring at a later date, I consider that it would be
    better if I back-up my wife's identity into an appropriately named
    folder on the flashdrive. I have made such a folder and dragged it into
    the Sendto folder, but when I point to the folder in Sendto it merely
    says 'empty' and is greyed out.

    Is there anyway around the particular configuration which I am trying to
    do? I know that google has plenty of ideas.

    Thanks,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Jul 27, 2005

  2. Emrys Davies

    Gordon Guest

    "Emrys Davies" <> wrote in message
    > I have Win98 SE, OE6 and IE6
    >
    > I have backed-up my Favourites, Address Book and .dbx files onto a
    > Flashdrive.
    >
    > Now I want to do the same with my wife's .dbx files, but there are
    > slight problems. For instance, I am told that there is already a Sent
    > Items file and asking if I would like to change it. Well I deleted all
    > such furniture files from her identity (copy of it) and the backup
    > proceeded OK.
    >
    > Thinking of restoring at a later date, I consider that it would be
    > better if I back-up my wife's identity into an appropriately named
    > folder on the flashdrive. I have made such a folder and dragged it into
    > the Sendto folder, but when I point to the folder in Sendto it merely
    > says 'empty' and is greyed out.
    >
    > Is there anyway around the particular configuration which I am trying to
    > do? I know that google has plenty of ideas.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Emrys Davies.

    You can't mix the files from two identities. Create two folders on your
    flash drive and backup each identity to a separate folder.
    You also can't just drag a folder that has been backed-up into OE and hope
    that OE will see the contents. You have to do an import.

    See here for more info on backing up and restoring OE:
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/

    Gordon, Jul 27, 2005

  3. Emrys Davies

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Could be Spyware trying to hijack you. Download, install, update and run all
    of the following.

    Ad-Aware

    Spybot search and destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

    a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group so that
    it can be analyzed.

    HijackThis

    "Instead of trying to bash me you should try to learn from me and
    archive my posts so you can better help people in the future. If you don't
    understand something I post then ask me my email is valid."

    -
    -

    pcbutts1, Jul 27, 2005
  4. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > "Emrys Davies" <> wrote in message
    > > I have Win98 SE, OE6 and IE6
    > >
    > > I have backed-up my Favourites, Address Book and .dbx files onto a
    > > Flashdrive.
    > >
    > > Now I want to do the same with my wife's .dbx files, but there are
    > > slight problems. For instance, I am told that there is already a

    Sent
    > > Items file and asking if I would like to change it. Well I deleted

    all
    > > such furniture files from her identity (copy of it) and the backup
    > > proceeded OK.
    > >
    > > Thinking of restoring at a later date, I consider that it would be
    > > better if I back-up my wife's identity into an appropriately named
    > > folder on the flashdrive. I have made such a folder and dragged it

    into
    > > the Sendto folder, but when I point to the folder in Sendto it

    merely
    > > says 'empty' and is greyed out.
    > >
    > > Is there anyway around the particular configuration which I am

    trying to
    > > do? I know that google has plenty of ideas.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Emrys Davies.
    > >

    > You can't mix the files from two identities. Create two folders on

    your
    > flash drive and backup each identity to a separate folder.
    > You also can't just drag a folder that has been backed-up into OE and

    hope
    > that OE will see the contents. You have to do an import.
    >
    > See here for more info on backing up and restoring OE:
    > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/

    Gordon,

    Hope I have done this correct now.

    Made two appropriately named folders for the two identities on the flash
    drive> followed the path in Internet Explorer to first identity > r.c.
    the identity under folders in IE > r.c. and dragged and copied it into
    approp. folder below. Did second identity likewise.

    Both identities open perfectly in their folders on the flash drive in
    little windows i.e. folder > Identity > Microsoft > Outlook Express >
    then all of the .dbx files.

    I must get this correct otherwise they will not restore so be ruthless.

    Thanks,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Jul 27, 2005
  5. Emrys Davies

    > Gordon,
    >
    > Hope I have done this correct now.
    >
    > Made two appropriately named folders for the two identities on the flash
    > drive> followed the path in Internet Explorer to first identity > r.c.
    > the identity under folders in IE > r.c. and dragged and copied it into
    > approp. folder below. Did second identity likewise.
    >
    > Both identities open perfectly in their folders on the flash drive in
    > little windows i.e. folder > Identity > Microsoft > Outlook Express >
    > then all of the .dbx files.
    >
    > I must get this correct otherwise they will not restore so be ruthless.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Emrys Davies.

    Sounds OK to me. When you want to restore the backups however, you MUST do a
    File-Import from within OE and navigate to the correct backup folder for
    that identity.

    Gordon, Jul 27, 2005
  6. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > "Emrys Davies" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Gordon,
    > >
    > > Hope I have done this correct now.
    > >
    > > Made two appropriately named folders for the two identities on the

    flash
    > > drive> followed the path in Internet Explorer to first identity >

    r.c.
    > > the identity under folders in IE > r.c. and dragged and copied it

    into
    > > approp. folder below. Did second identity likewise.
    > >
    > > Both identities open perfectly in their folders on the flash drive

    in
    > > little windows i.e. folder > Identity > Microsoft > Outlook Express

    > > then all of the .dbx files.
    > >
    > > I must get this correct otherwise they will not restore so be

    ruthless.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Emrys Davies.
    > >

    > Sounds OK to me. When you want to restore the backups however, you

    MUST do a
    > File-Import from within OE and navigate to the correct backup folder

    for
    > that identity.

    Gordon,

    I tried the file|import, but that would not work.

    I then copied all the files from one identity to a new folder on C:\,
    made sure that they were not read only and then they imported like
    grease lightening.

    I am very pleased with you and many thanks because now I not only know
    how to backup my .dbx files, I also know how to restore them. I take it
    that if it was to another machine I would simply have to copy them to a
    new folder on the other machine etc. and away I go.

    Thanks again,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Jul 27, 2005
  7. Emrys Davies

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> "Emrys Davies" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Gordon,
    >> >
    >> > Hope I have done this correct now.
    >> >
    >> > Made two appropriately named folders for the two identities on the

    > flash
    >> > drive> followed the path in Internet Explorer to first identity >

    > r.c.
    >> > the identity under folders in IE > r.c. and dragged and copied it

    > into
    >> > approp. folder below. Did second identity likewise.
    >> >
    >> > Both identities open perfectly in their folders on the flash drive

    > in
    >> > little windows i.e. folder > Identity > Microsoft > Outlook Express

    >> > then all of the .dbx files.
    >> >
    >> > I must get this correct otherwise they will not restore so be

    > ruthless.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Emrys Davies.
    >> >

    >> Sounds OK to me. When you want to restore the backups however, you

    > MUST do a
    >> File-Import from within OE and navigate to the correct backup folder

    > for
    >> that identity.

    > Gordon,
    >
    > I tried the file|import, but that would not work.
    >
    > I then copied all the files from one identity to a new folder on C:\,
    > made sure that they were not read only and then they imported like
    > grease lightening.
    >
    > I am very pleased with you and many thanks because now I not only know
    > how to backup my .dbx files, I also know how to restore them. I take it
    > that if it was to another machine I would simply have to copy them to a
    > new folder on the other machine etc. and away I go.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Emrys Davies.

    You're welcome!

    Gordon, Jul 28, 2005