backing up data

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Qko=?=, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. I would like to use my secondary computer to back up my primary computer. Can
    this be done and how. The two computers are connected via wireless network.

    =?Utf-8?B?Qko=?=, Feb 18, 2006

  2. I guess that depends upon what you mean by "back up." If you share a folder
    on your second computer you could run the Windows Backup on your primary
    computer and have it save the backup file to the shared folder on the second
    computer.

    Or if you can map a drive letter on the second computer to the hard drive of
    your primary computer I guess you could use Windows backup on the second
    computer to back up the drive that way.

    Aloha,

    -Ben-
    Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP
    Roland Schorr & Tower
    http://www.rolandschorr.com
    Microsoft Outlook FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/outlook.htm

    Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo!

    Ben M. Schorr - MVP, Feb 18, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Qko=?=

    Guest

    On 18-Feb-2006, "Ben M. Schorr - MVP" <> wrote:

    > I guess that depends upon what you mean by "back up." If you share a folder
    > on your second computer you could run the Windows Backup on your primary
    > computer and have it save the backup file to the shared folder on the second
    > computer.

    Depends on where your important data is. Some mail ans stuff is stored on the
    OS drive. So in the case of WinXP a Ghost image on a removable hard drive is
    a good idea. If the rest of your stuff is on a second drive, then Fileback will
    copy only the changed files (quicker) to the same removable drive.
    I have two such removable 250GB drives, one kept 20 miles away, in case of
    fire, flood, theft.

    , Feb 19, 2006