backing up a scratched DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by peter, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. peter

    peter Guest

    My friend asked me to salvage a scratched DVD that's very hard to find.
    I read about ways to buff out the scratch, but since I have never done it, I
    would like to backup the DVD as much as possible before I attempt the
    scratch repair.

    I used a program called isobuster to copy all the files in video_ts onto a
    hard drive. One of the vob file has about 500 read errors which I told the
    program to ignore. This would probably cause the video to go berserk
    somewhere, but there is a large portion of non damaged video.

    Now I would like to create a dvdr with the files in the video_ts directory.
    Unfortunately, they don't fit on a dvdr. So I try to apply dvdshrink to
    these file but while scanning the files, dvdshrink says it can't find some
    VOB file (which doesn't exist). If I create a dummy VOB file with that name,
    it ask for the next one, etc. I think dvdshrink is tripped by the error in
    that one vob file and cannot recover from it.

    If I use dvdshrink in the re-author mode, it shows only one "main movie" --
    the one with no error and does not show the other movie that contains one of
    the error vob.

    I'm stuck now. Is there another software I could use to shrink and burn the
    files to dvdr?
    peter, Dec 30, 2004

  2. peter

    Guncho Guest

    I find rubbing with toothpaste under running water is good for taking
    out scratches.

    Chris
    Guncho, Dec 30, 2004

  3. peter

    Sugar Mouse Guest

    "peter" <> wrote in message
    > My friend asked me to salvage a scratched DVD that's very hard to find.
    > I read about ways to buff out the scratch, but since I have never done it,
    > I would like to backup the DVD as much as possible before I attempt the
    > scratch repair.
    >
    > I used a program called isobuster to copy all the files in video_ts onto a
    > hard drive. One of the vob file has about 500 read errors which I told the
    > program to ignore. This would probably cause the video to go berserk
    > somewhere, but there is a large portion of non damaged video.
    >
    > Now I would like to create a dvdr with the files in the video_ts
    > directory. Unfortunately, they don't fit on a dvdr. So I try to apply
    > dvdshrink to these file but while scanning the files, dvdshrink says it
    > can't find some VOB file (which doesn't exist). If I create a dummy VOB
    > file with that name, it ask for the next one, etc. I think dvdshrink is
    > tripped by the error in that one vob file and cannot recover from it.
    >
    > If I use dvdshrink in the re-author mode, it shows only one "main
    > movie" -- the one with no error and does not show the other movie that
    > contains one of the error vob.
    >
    > I'm stuck now. Is there another software I could use to shrink and burn
    > the files to dvdr?

    There is a product on the market for scratched Glasses lenses at the moment,
    which guarentees not to change the perscription (I'll believe that if I saw
    it). Can't remember the name, but if anyone knows of it, and has tried it on
    a CD/DVD, I'd be very interested in the results, since I have a CD with one
    scratch on it, unfortunatly, it's a disc I bought for two songs, and the
    scratch is over my favourite song, Sod's law strikes again!!!

    If it works, it may help the original poster.

    Nathan.

    --
    Find a better way of life at

    www.discovermarbles.com
    Sugar Mouse, Dec 30, 2004
  4. peter

    Guest

    I also have a similar problem to that. I used a dvd recorder to make
    some movies and then when i went to finalize the dics everything went
    fine. but when i go back to play it the movies stops and does not even
    play. I then tried iso buster and when it tried to recover it just
    stops right in the middle every time. any thoughts on that as well
    , Dec 31, 2004
  5. peter

    Guest

    yeah i would do that but friends i dont have to many of. however one of
    my friends has this all region dvd player and that plays almost the
    whole dam thing. thing is the whole player is copy protected. not even
    the disc the whole player. i cant even tape the menue. so what i did
    was i emailed some companys that restore data and i figure that since
    so dvd players play more then others i would guess for a big company it
    would not even be a problem to put it on a RW disc. i just hope its
    not alot of money.
    , Jan 2, 2005
  6. peter

    Omarichu Guest