Backing up a MAC

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by TEX, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. TEX

    TEX Guest

    Can you explain this a bit more?? So if I get a clean HDD and plug the
    sucker as a USB hdd on the mac and then just partition/format it under
    mac format and then copy/paste to the drive it will be ok??
    What if my current hdd is in pc format? How can I do it?

    Thanks

    TEX

    TEX, Aug 14, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > In <z2ZSc.12686$> Harry wrote:
    >
    > > TEX wrote:

    > >> What I meant by "easy" was, the fact that all i have to do is just
    > >> drag and drop the files to a hdd or like you mentioned, a network
    > >> drive. Not many times you can do that on a pc without having to re-
    > >> install the program again. This what I have been told, is all that is
    > >> required. Will have the unit over the weekend and see what the story
    > >> is.

    > > Which is exactly what you can do on a PC.
    > > You can backup your entire disk onto another disk.
    > > And that other disk will run just like the original.
    > > You can also restore the same way.
    > > What is more, you don't need any special backup program to do
    > > that on a pc either.

    > What if you only want to back up specific programs and not the entire
    > hard drive? I have always found it bizarre how PCs scatter files all
    > over the place whenever you install an application.

    Yes, its great with Macs (both Classic or X) - I can easily transfer
    anll the programs people install simply by copying files with a
    crossover ethernet cable. And the Mac OS X packages are painless to
    install if needed.

    wogers nemesis, Aug 14, 2004

  3. TEX

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <cfhojk$ul3$>,
    I'm a Trampoline <> wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:
    > >
    > > However I am unsure why you think their data may be at risk, if it is
    > > being done by an authorised service technician then I would be horrified
    > > to think the drive would be at risk, no competent Apple tech would loose
    > > data that way.

    > When I got my iBook fully replaced due to excessive problems with it, I
    > had to ask to have the old one shipped back to my local dealer so the
    > files could be copied, otherwise it would have been forgotten. I always
    > did a partial backup of my most important files before each reapair job
    > with the old one, at the least I don't trust couriers.

    Ah well I have a better service agent then, he ALWAYS backs a machine up
    first thing, uses a UPS for most machines so that there will be as
    little chance of any issues as possible.

    whoisthis, Aug 15, 2004
  4. TEX

    Bob McLellan Guest

    I guess you reformat the partition using Mac. Never had a usb drive myself.

    Bob McLellan, Aug 15, 2004
  5. TEX

    quietguy Guest

    Seems a bit strange to me to hear someone suggest that backing up data
    is a bad idea - apart from repairers that don't have a clue (most are
    just board jockeys) their are many others risks - lost in transport,
    stolen from store, accidently dropped, etc etc.

    Hard t imagine any sensible person NOT backing up their data before
    taking theor Mac for repair - and srely they should back up their stuff anyway.

    David - who 15 years ago lost a month of work on his Mac because he
    didn't backup

    --
    If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

    quietguy, Aug 15, 2004
  6. TEX

    quietguy Guest

    Well, there is a program named Ghost that is supposed to do just that -
    but like Windows it is crap, and when I tried it I ended up having to
    reload every bloody application onto the new HD.

    David

    --
    If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

    quietguy, Aug 15, 2004
  7. TEX

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    quietguy <> wrote:

    > Well, there is a program named Ghost that is supposed to do just that -
    > but like Windows it is crap, and when I tried it I ended up having to
    > reload every bloody application onto the new HD.
    >
    > David

    Funny, we use Ghost all the time at work for W2K,XP,98,95, seems to work
    really well from what I can see (No, I dont use it, I do Mac support)

    whoisthis, Aug 15, 2004
  8. TEX

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    quietguy <> wrote:

    > Seems a bit strange to me to hear someone suggest that backing up data
    > is a bad idea - apart from repairers that don't have a clue (most are
    > just board jockeys) their are many others risks - lost in transport,
    > stolen from store, accidently dropped, etc etc.

    OK, well fist of all I presuming they will drop it off to an authorised
    service centre.

    As for the rest, well then they should already have a backup at home, in
    fact it should be stored elsewhere in case of fire! Why is a backup only
    important when it may be too late ?

    > Hard t imagine any sensible person NOT backing up their data before
    > taking theor Mac for repair - and srely they should back up their stuff
    > anyway.

    Because most people do not have the facility to back up large Hard
    drives easily. Try backing up 10G over USB, its start in the morning,
    then go to work and hope for the best time.

    > David - who 15 years ago lost a month of work on his Mac because he
    > didn't backup

    And it can still happen to day I am sure.

    whoisthis, Aug 15, 2004
  9. quietguy wrote:
    > Well, there is a program named Ghost that is supposed to do just that -
    > but like Windows it is crap

    Funny, at work here we use it constantly(with ghost images of each model
    of PC). I've done ~1000 in the last 20 odd months, with what I can only
    guess to be under 10 failures, and each caused by hardware problems, not
    the software or the image.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 15, 2004
  10. In article <>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    says...
    > quietguy wrote:
    > > Well, there is a program named Ghost that is supposed to do just that -
    > > but like Windows it is crap

    > Funny, at work here we use it constantly(with ghost images of each model
    > of PC). I've done ~1000 in the last 20 odd months, with what I can only
    > guess to be under 10 failures, and each caused by hardware problems, not
    > the software or the image.

    Yeah I even use it with Sysprep, so that I can deploy Windows XP on AMD
    and Intel machines with different hardware. The only problems were with
    some Dells that could be fixed with a bios upgrade and then enabling
    acpi.

    The biggest issue is dirty cdrs with ghost images on them..

    wogers nemesis, Aug 16, 2004
  11. wogers nemesis wrote:
    > The biggest issue is dirty cdrs with ghost images on them..

    network ghosting is the answer, it also solves the problem of having to
    have more than one disk.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 16, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...
    > wogers nemesis wrote:
    > > The biggest issue is dirty cdrs with ghost images on them..

    > network ghosting is the answer, it also solves the problem of having to
    > have more than one disk.

    too painful on 10 MBPS network :(

    wogers nemesis, Aug 16, 2004
  13. wogers nemesis wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...
    >
    >>wogers nemesis wrote:
    >>
    >>>The biggest issue is dirty cdrs with ghost images on them..

    >>network ghosting is the answer, it also solves the problem of having to
    >>have more than one disk.

    > too painful on 10 MBPS network :(

    10Mbit seems faster than the average speed you get from CDroms.
    1x = 150Kbytes/sec
    10x = 1500Kbytes/sec
    52x = 7800Kbytes/sec

    These are maximum speeds, and only attainable at the outer edge of the
    disk, CDRs are burned from inside to out, so will average just over
    1/2(in my experience) this speed at best, so you're looking at the
    following.

    1x = 75Kbytes/sec
    10x = = 750Kbytes/sec
    52x = 3900Kbytes/sec

    Sure, 10Mbit is only 1024Kbyts/sec, but It certainly seems to complete
    ghosts quicker.

    Dave... now confused, as it does finish faster, but can't explain why.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 16, 2004
  14. TEX

    IRO Guest

    In article <>,
    whoisthis <> wrote:

    > As for the rest, well then they should already have a backup at home, in
    > fact it should be stored elsewhere in case of fire! Why is a backup only
    > important when it may be too late ?

    Because that's the only time people think of backups....
    (Even businesses for whom a hard disk crash equals bankruptcy!)

    > > Hard t imagine any sensible person NOT backing up their data before
    > > taking theor Mac for repair - and srely they should back up their stuff
    > > anyway.

    > Because most people do not have the facility to back up large Hard
    > drives easily. Try backing up 10G over USB, its start in the morning,
    > then go to work and hope for the best time.

    10GB? Try 40GB, the minimum size you can buy these days. And I'm often
    surprised how many people are getting perilously close to filling that
    up. It doesn't take iTunes and iPhoto very long at all.

    True, most businesses have little call for the above apps, although
    several of my clients are starting to use digital cameras routinely.

    ------
    ~IRO
    My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.

    IRO, Aug 17, 2004
  15. IRO wrote:
    > 10GB? Try 40GB, the minimum size you can buy these days.

    I used to do 40GB on USB2

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 17, 2004
  16. TEX

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > wogers nemesis wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...

    >>>network ghosting is the answer, it also solves the problem of having to
    >>>have more than one disk.

    >> too painful on 10 MBPS network :(

    > 10Mbit seems faster than the average speed you get from CDroms.
    > 1x = 150Kbytes/sec
    > 10x = 1500Kbytes/sec
    > 52x = 7800Kbytes/sec
    >
    > These are maximum speeds, and only attainable at the outer edge of the
    > disk, CDRs are burned from inside to out, so will average just over
    > 1/2(in my experience) this speed at best, so you're looking at the
    > following.
    >
    > 1x = 75Kbytes/sec
    > 10x = = 750Kbytes/sec
    > 52x = 3900Kbytes/sec
    >
    > Sure, 10Mbit is only 1024Kbyts/sec, but It certainly seems to complete
    > ghosts quicker.

    I was going to grizzle about your speed calcs for 10Base network but 1280KBytes/s
    and the overhead of a 1/2 duplex link is probably about right @ 1024Kb/s. Of
    course it'd be MUCH slower with contention.
    A 100 MB/s switched network is cheap these days, have you considered upgrading?

    ChrisOD, Aug 17, 2004
  17. In article <>,
    l says...
    > In article <>, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >snip
    > >

    > I was going to grizzle about your speed calcs for 10Base network but 1280KBytes/s
    > and the overhead of a 1/2 duplex link is probably about right @ 1024Kb/s. Of
    > course it'd be MUCH slower with contention.
    > A 100 MB/s switched network is cheap these days, have you considered upgrading?

    Haha you don't know how funny that is. After many years..finally an
    upgrade is going ahead.

    wogers nemesis, Aug 17, 2004
  18. wogers nemesis wrote:
    >>I was going to grizzle about your speed calcs for 10Base network but 1280KBytes/s
    >>and the overhead of a 1/2 duplex link is probably about right @ 1024Kb/s. Of
    >>course it'd be MUCH slower with contention.
    >>A 100 MB/s switched network is cheap these days, have you considered upgrading?

    > Haha you don't know how funny that is. After many years..finally an
    > upgrade is going ahead.

    thats all good... you can *finally* setup network ghosting :)

    and err, regarding my speed calcs, well, I was at work and guetimating
    most of them, thankfully I have Gbit for ghosting in my office :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 17, 2004