    to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?

    Thanks

    TEX

    TEX, Aug 12, 2004

  2. TEX

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <411b4096$>, TEX <> wrote:

    > I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
    > to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get deleted.
    > Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
    > Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
    > keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
    > to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > TEX

    depends on what Mac you are talking about, and what operating system it
    is running.
    If it has Firewire that will be a hell of a lot faster than USB !
    If USB is your only choice then you may have to load drivers, the way to
    find this out is to plug it in, it will either mount the drive or tell
    you it needs drivers. ALWAYS load the latest version of the drivers for
    the correct version of the OS, you can get them off the Net.

    If it is OS9, yes you can just drag and drop the whole drive and it will
    back everything up, if it is OSX you have a bigger problem and I would
    use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to do the job.

    However I am unsure why you think their data may be at risk, if it is
    being done by an authorised service technician then I would be horrified
    to think the drive would be at risk, no competent Apple tech would loose
    data that way.

    whoisthis, Aug 12, 2004

  3. whoisthis wrote:
    > ALWAYS load the latest version of the drivers for
    > the correct version of the OS, you can get them off the Net.

    heh, I never do this, I usually have a "favourite" set of drivers for
    most things.

    my bluetooth adapter wont connect to my cell phone if I use the latest
    ones, this is what I got from the manufacturer.
    "it is a know issue and may be fixed in the next driver revision"
    "no, I'm sorry but the older drivers are no longer available for download"

    Thankfully, someone in the US from some forum had a copy of them, and
    posted them online.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 12, 2004
  4. TEX

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:
    > > ALWAYS load the latest version of the drivers for
    > > the correct version of the OS, you can get them off the Net.

    > heh, I never do this, I usually have a "favourite" set of drivers for
    > most things.

    well I have had to patch together too many OSX machines because the
    users loaded on old drivers for my liking.

    whoisthis, Aug 12, 2004
  5. TEX

    Harry Guest

    TEX wrote:

    > I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
    > to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get deleted.
    > Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
    > Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
    > keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
    > to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?

    Hang on a minute. What is "easy"?
    That they have to take it back to the store - is that easy?
    Or is the fact that you cannot figure out how to backup the data easy?

    If it is networked just back it up onto a Linux box running netatalk.

    Harry, Aug 12, 2004
  6. TEX

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <1fSSc.12522$>,
    Harry <> wrote:

    > Hang on a minute. What is "easy"?

    lots of things are easy.

    > That they have to take it back to the store - is that easy?

    Best choice, they will have full anti-static gear there. I have seen too
    many "PC techs" doing stuff without anti-static gear to ever trust one,
    and I have a laser printer worked on by a PC Tech where he used a screw
    driver to lever open the case because he could not figure of the correct
    way of doing it, there are gouges all over the casing. Took me ages to
    clean up the worst of the burrs then fix it properly.

    whoisthis, Aug 12, 2004
  7. TEX

    Harry Guest

    whoisthis wrote:

    > In article <1fSSc.12522$>,
    > Harry <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hang on a minute. What is "easy"?

    > lots of things are easy.

    I wasn't asking you!

    >> That they have to take it back to the store - is that easy?

    > Best choice, they will have full anti-static gear there. I have seen too
    > many "PC techs" doing stuff without anti-static gear to ever trust one,
    > and I have a laser printer worked on by a PC Tech where he used a screw
    > driver to lever open the case because he could not figure of the correct
    > way of doing it, there are gouges all over the casing. Took me ages to
    > clean up the worst of the burrs then fix it properly.

    Thanks, but I am more interested in what TEX meant.

    Harry, Aug 13, 2004
  8. TEX

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <28TSc.12546$>,
    Harry <> wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1fSSc.12522$>,
    > > Harry <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hang on a minute. What is "easy"?

    > > lots of things are easy.

    > I wasn't asking you!

    Well this is an open forum, so you get what you get.

    > >> That they have to take it back to the store - is that easy?

    > > Best choice, they will have full anti-static gear there. I have seen too
    > > many "PC techs" doing stuff without anti-static gear to ever trust one,
    > > and I have a laser printer worked on by a PC Tech where he used a screw
    > > driver to lever open the case because he could not figure of the correct
    > > way of doing it, there are gouges all over the casing. Took me ages to
    > > clean up the worst of the burrs then fix it properly.

    > Thanks, but I am more interested in what TEX meant.

    Yet he did not ask YOU specifically, his question was general so one and
    all could answer thus giving multiple POV and perhaps the best answer.

    Having changed the Hard deives, CDs, etc in a number of Macs over the
    years I figure I had something to add to the conversation.

    whoisthis, Aug 13, 2004
  9. TEX

    TEX Guest

    Harry wrote:

    > TEX wrote:
    >

    >>I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
    >>to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get deleted.
    >>Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
    >>Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
    >>keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
    >>to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?

    > Hang on a minute. What is "easy"?
    > That they have to take it back to the store - is that easy?
    > Or is the fact that you cannot figure out how to backup the data easy?
    >
    > If it is networked just back it up onto a Linux box running netatalk.

    What I meant by "easy" was, the fact that all i have to do is just drag
    and drop the files to a hdd or like you mentioned, a network drive. Not
    many times you can do that on a pc without having to re-install the
    program again. This what I have been told, is all that is required. Will
    have the unit over the weekend and see what the story is.

    TEX

    TEX, Aug 13, 2004
  10. TEX

    Harry Guest

    TEX wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >
    >> TEX wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
    >>>to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get deleted.
    >>>Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
    >>>Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
    >>>keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
    >>>to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?

    >> Hang on a minute. What is "easy"?
    >> That they have to take it back to the store - is that easy?
    >> Or is the fact that you cannot figure out how to backup the data easy?
    >>
    >> If it is networked just back it up onto a Linux box running netatalk.
    >>

    > What I meant by "easy" was, the fact that all i have to do is just drag
    > and drop the files to a hdd or like you mentioned, a network drive. Not
    > many times you can do that on a pc without having to re-install the
    > program again. This what I have been told, is all that is required. Will
    > have the unit over the weekend and see what the story is.

    Which is exactly what you can do on a PC.
    You can backup your entire disk onto another disk.
    And that other disk will run just like the original.
    You can also restore the same way.
    What is more, you don't need any special backup program to do
    that on a pc either.

    Harry, Aug 13, 2004
  11. TEX

    EMB Guest

    Harry wrote:

    > Which is exactly what you can do on a PC.
    > You can backup your entire disk onto another disk.
    > And that other disk will run just like the original.
    > You can also restore the same way.
    > What is more, you don't need any special backup program to do
    > that on a pc either.

    Ok then, how do I copy my Windows 2000 boot drive to another hard disk
    (without any special programs) such that the new copy will boot?

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Aug 13, 2004
  12. TEX

    thing Guest

    TEX wrote:
    > I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
    > to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get deleted.
    > Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
    > Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
    > keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
    > to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > TEX

    check to make sure the system folder is copied over, but otherwise yes
    its that easy. I swapped out the internal hd on my imac to a firwire ext
    drive and put a new drive in, and found I had 2 bootable 9.2.2 images....

    ;]

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Aug 13, 2004
  13. whoisthis wrote:

    > However I am unsure why you think their data may be at risk, if it is
    > being done by an authorised service technician then I would be horrified
    > to think the drive would be at risk, no competent Apple tech would loose
    > data that way.

    When I got my iBook fully replaced due to excessive problems with it, I
    had to ask to have the old one shipped back to my local dealer so the
    files could be copied, otherwise it would have been forgotten. I always
    did a partial backup of my most important files before each reapair job
    with the old one, at the least I don't trust couriers.

    I'm a Trampoline, Aug 13, 2004
  14. TEX

    thing Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > whoisthis wrote:
    >
    >> ALWAYS load the latest version of the drivers for the correct version
    >> of the OS, you can get them off the Net.

    > heh, I never do this, I usually have a "favourite" set of drivers for
    > most things.
    >
    > my bluetooth adapter wont connect to my cell phone if I use the latest
    > ones, this is what I got from the manufacturer.
    > "it is a know issue and may be fixed in the next driver revision"
    > "no, I'm sorry but the older drivers are no longer available for download"
    >
    > Thankfully, someone in the US from some forum had a copy of them, and
    > posted them online.

    I swapped out a drive and it just went dead, used a static strap etc
    etc...so it can happen....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Aug 13, 2004
  15. TEX

    Harry Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >

    >> Which is exactly what you can do on a PC.
    >> You can backup your entire disk onto another disk.
    >> And that other disk will run just like the original.
    >> You can also restore the same way.
    >> What is more, you don't need any special backup program to do
    >> that on a pc either.

    > Ok then, how do I copy my Windows 2000 boot drive to another hard disk
    > (without any special programs) such that the new copy will boot?

    Use xcopy32

    Harry, Aug 13, 2004
  16. TEX

    Alastair Guest

    In <z2ZSc.12686$> Harry wrote:

    > TEX wrote:

    >> What I meant by "easy" was, the fact that all i have to do is just
    >> drag and drop the files to a hdd or like you mentioned, a network
    >> drive. Not many times you can do that on a pc without having to re-
    >> install the program again. This what I have been told, is all that is
    >> required. Will have the unit over the weekend and see what the story
    >> is.

    > Which is exactly what you can do on a PC.
    > You can backup your entire disk onto another disk.
    > And that other disk will run just like the original.
    > You can also restore the same way.
    > What is more, you don't need any special backup program to do
    > that on a pc either.

    What if you only want to back up specific programs and not the entire
    hard drive? I have always found it bizarre how PCs scatter files all
    over the place whenever you install an application.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    http://www.alastair.net.nz

    Alastair, Aug 13, 2004
  17. EMB wrote:
    > Ok then, how do I copy my Windows 2000 boot drive to another hard disk
    > (without any special programs) such that the new copy will boot?

    disk management, and set up a mirror :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 13, 2004
  18. TEX

    Bob McLellan Guest

    A USB HDD should work.
    If you backup to another system remember that Mac files have an 'extra
    bit' called a resource fork which is important to the Mac system. This
    bit is not recognised by PC's or Unix and will get lost if you just
    transfer the files. Mac sure that you transfer them in Macbin format (or
    oneof the many zip type formats) to preserve this bit.

    Bob McLellan, Aug 13, 2004
  19. > TEX wrote:
    > > I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
    > > to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get deleted.
    > > Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
    > > Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
    > > keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
    > > to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > TEX

    I'm using Dantz retrospect. It works with external USB/firewire drives and
    CD-RW. In my case I have a FTP server in one machine at home, and the
    software uses the LAN connection to dump the files in a folder on this
    server. It's a Windows XP Pro server, but Dantz Retrospect uses its own file
    format when storing the data. I leave it running at night and it works very
    well, including incremental backups, etc.

    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

    Mauricio Freitas, Aug 14, 2004
  20. TEX

    TEX Guest

    Alastair wrote:

    > In <z2ZSc.12686$> Harry wrote:
    >

    >>TEX wrote:

    >>>What I meant by "easy" was, the fact that all i have to do is just
    >>>drag and drop the files to a hdd or like you mentioned, a network
    >>>drive. Not many times you can do that on a pc without having to re-
    >>>install the program again. This what I have been told, is all that is
    >>>required. Will have the unit over the weekend and see what the story
    >>>is.

    >>Which is exactly what you can do on a PC.
    >>You can backup your entire disk onto another disk.
    >>And that other disk will run just like the original.
    >>You can also restore the same way.
    >>What is more, you don't need any special backup program to do
    >>that on a pc either.

    > What if you only want to back up specific programs and not the entire
    > hard drive? I have always found it bizarre how PCs scatter files all
    > over the place whenever you install an application.

    Correct. That is what I was more concerned about. Yes you can copy
    programs overs on a PC, but half the time they don't work cos missing
    xxx file missing yyy file etc etc. Also registry settings etc etc

    TEX

    TEX, Aug 14, 2004