    this?

    thanks,
    md

    dimestore, Jul 13, 2005

  2. dimestore

    dimestore Guest

    > Some websites have background colors that don't show. One of the most
    > irritating is that cached pages on Google
    > don't show the highlighted text on key search words. Is there a fix for
    > this?

    Well after messing around with some general settings it would seem that I
    can have one of two things:
    1. Links that change color to let me know that I have visited them already.
    2. Correct background colors and backgrounds that make drop-down overlay
    windows readable.

    But as far as I can tell I can't have both. This is because I can either
    choose to always use my colors, or never
    use my colors. Doesn't seem like to much to ask to have sites appear as
    they are intended to appear. I can't imagine that this is acceptable to a
    majority of users, perhaps I am missing something?

    thanks for any help you may provide.
    -md

    dimestore, Jul 13, 2005

  3. dimestore

    Doug G Guest

    dimestore wrote:
    >> Some websites have background colors that don't show. One of the most
    >> irritating is that cached pages on Google
    >> don't show the highlighted text on key search words. Is there a fix for
    >> this?

    > Well after messing around with some general settings it would seem that I
    > can have one of two things:
    > 1. Links that change color to let me know that I have visited them already.
    > 2. Correct background colors and backgrounds that make drop-down overlay
    > windows readable.
    >
    > But as far as I can tell I can't have both. This is because I can either
    > choose to always use my colors, or never
    > use my colors. Doesn't seem like to much to ask to have sites appear as
    > they are intended to appear. I can't imagine that this is acceptable to a
    > majority of users, perhaps I am missing something?
    >
    > thanks for any help you may provide.
    > -md

    What version of Mozilla do you use?

    Doug G, Jul 13, 2005
  4. dimestore

    dimestore Guest

    "Doug G" >>
    > What version of Mozilla do you use?

    Firefox 1.0.4

    dimestore, Jul 13, 2005
  5. dimestore

    Moz Champion Guest

    dimestore wrote:
    >>Some websites have background colors that don't show. One of the most
    >>irritating is that cached pages on Google
    >>don't show the highlighted text on key search words. Is there a fix for
    >>this?

    > Well after messing around with some general settings it would seem that I
    > can have one of two things:
    > 1. Links that change color to let me know that I have visited them already.
    > 2. Correct background colors and backgrounds that make drop-down overlay
    > windows readable.
    >
    > But as far as I can tell I can't have both. This is because I can either
    > choose to always use my colors, or never
    > use my colors. Doesn't seem like to much to ask to have sites appear as
    > they are intended to appear. I can't imagine that this is acceptable to a
    > majority of users, perhaps I am missing something?
    >
    > thanks for any help you may provide.
    > -md

    Its a fact of life.
    Some web designers dont use distinct colours for vistied links and
    unvisited links
    Some web designers dont use easily discernable colours for all aspects
    of the web page

    You have your choice.
    You can choose to override the web designers choices, and use your
    colours, or let them decide.
    The problem is, there is NO standard set of colours that will please all
    pages, so if you do over-ride the web designers pallette and use your
    own, you WILL expericence pages that are difficult to read (or menus or
    overlays that are)

    Both Mozilla and Firefox give you the choice of over-riding JUST link
    colours and not anything else

    Moz Champion, Jul 13, 2005
  6. dimestore

    dimestore Guest

    > Both Mozilla and Firefox give you the choice of over-riding JUST link
    > colours and not anything else

    Well this is what I'm trying to figure out how to do. If I visit netflix
    say, and I have chosen to use their colors everything looks fine, drop
    downs are readable, background colors are attractive. But, if I click on a
    link
    and then click back, the link will not change to the selected 3rd color.

    If I choose "always use my colors" I have no background color on overlays,
    regardless of the color I've chosen for fonts and backgrounds. The drop down
    is always 'see-through' and impossible to read. Visited links however, do
    display a color change.

    I'm sure you all are tired of my bitchin' about such a basic thing, but
    that's why it bothers me so much. Such a basic problem shouldn't be so hard
    to remedy. I just want to love FF.

    -md

    dimestore, Jul 14, 2005
  7. dimestore

    Moz Champion Guest

    dimestore wrote:
    >>Both Mozilla and Firefox give you the choice of over-riding JUST link
    >>colours and not anything else

    > Well this is what I'm trying to figure out how to do. If I visit netflix
    > say, and I have chosen to use their colors everything looks fine, drop
    > downs are readable, background colors are attractive. But, if I click on a
    > link
    > and then click back, the link will not change to the selected 3rd color.
    >
    > If I choose "always use my colors" I have no background color on overlays,
    > regardless of the color I've chosen for fonts and backgrounds. The drop down
    > is always 'see-through' and impossible to read. Visited links however, do
    > display a color change.
    >
    > I'm sure you all are tired of my bitchin' about such a basic thing, but
    > that's why it bothers me so much. Such a basic problem shouldn't be so hard
    > to remedy. I just want to love FF.
    >
    > -md

    Please dont edit and snip out replies, you remove things from context
    and I lose track of what the problem is, what's been asked/answered.
    I dont have the time to re-read each and every message in a thread.

    You over-ride just link colours using the preference

    Some pages dont specify link and visited link colours alone, but use all
    inclusive settings for the page/frame. When you choose to over-ride on
    these type of pages, you will lose ALL the colour settings, not just the
    link specific ones. The link colour selections were designed to work
    with the old standard page settings, not the new CSS type of
    complimentary 'sets' many pages now use.

    My suggestion? Leave the colours alone. If the page designer wants to
    implement different colours for links (visited/unvisited) then all is
    well, if they dont, well, they dont! <g>

    Its really NOT such a 'basic' thing, not with CSS and the relatively
    newer types of pages. In basic HTML, yes, it was a 'basic' thing, which
    is why you can change the links (and links alone) with Firefox. With the
    advent of CSS, XHTML and Javascript (any of which can be used to affect
    the colours of pages) it moved out of the realm of 'basic'

    Moz Champion, Jul 14, 2005
  8. dimestore

    Travis Evans Guest

    On Wednesday 13 July 2005 20:37, dimestore wrote:
    >> Both Mozilla and Firefox give you the choice of over-riding JUST link
    >> colours and not anything else

    > Well this is what I'm trying to figure out how to do. If I visit
    > netflix
    > say, and I have chosen to use their colors everything looks fine,
    > drop
    > downs are readable, background colors are attractive. But, if I click
    > on a link
    > and then click back, the link will not change to the selected 3rd
    > color.
    >
    > If I choose "always use my colors" I have no background color on
    > overlays, regardless of the color I've chosen for fonts and
    > backgrounds. The drop down
    > is always 'see-through' and impossible to read. Visited links
    > however, do display a color change.
    >
    > I'm sure you all are tired of my bitchin' about such a basic thing,
    > but
    > that's why it bothers me so much. Such a basic problem shouldn't be
    > so hard
    > to remedy. I just want to love FF.

    I used the userContent.css file to force only my chosen link colors, and
    leave everything else alone. This file is placed in the chrome
    directory of your profile. You can determine where your profile is by
    checking this page:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile

    If you create a new text file in the chrome directory and name it
    userContent.css, you can add CSS rules to it that affect page display.
    Part of mine used to look like this:

    ----------
    /* Force link underline and visited link color */
    a[href] {
    text-decoration: underline ! important;
    }

    a[href]:visited {
    color: #ff00ff ! important;
    }
    ----------

    The first part forces an underline to appear on links always. The
    second part forces the color of visited links to be light magenta
    always. I didn't care what color unvisited links were, but if I did, I
    could create copy the line "color: #ff00ff ! important;" to the upper
    section and adjust the color code to do that.

    If you describe exactly how you want the links to appear, I'll see if I
    can come up with a block of CSS code that will do it.

    --
    Travis Evans
    [The email address on this post is valid, but may change from time to

    Travis Evans, Jul 14, 2005
  9. On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:32:33 GMT, Moz Champion <>
    wrote:

    > You over-ride just link colours using the preference

    Not in my copy of Firefox (1.0.4).

    > Some pages dont specify link and visited link colours alone, but use all
    > inclusive settings for the page/frame. When you choose to over-ride on
    > these type of pages, you will lose ALL the colour settings, not just the
    > link specific ones. The link colour selections were designed to work
    > with the old standard page settings, not the new CSS type of
    > complimentary 'sets' many pages now use.

    What is the combination of settings that would allow me to force my link
    colors to standard blue and purple *and* still allow the author's
    background image/color to be displayed. I can't seem to do it on any HTML
    page, nor on any CSS pages.

    > Its really NOT such a 'basic' thing, not with CSS and the relatively
    > newer types of pages. In basic HTML, yes, it was a 'basic' thing, which
    > is why you can change the links (and links alone) with Firefox.

    Assuming we are talking about basic HTML, how do I do this? I want Firefox
    to force my link colors *without* also forcing the background to a fixed
    color? Transparent doesn't appear to be a choice for the background color.
    I would love to *only* force the link colors to be my own. That means I do
    *not* want to suppress the original background image most of the time.

    Here are my current settings:

    Text and Background Link Colors
    Text: [black] Unvisited Links: [blue ]
    Background: [gray ] Visited Links: [purple]

    [ ] Use System Colors [ ] Underline links

    Always use my: [x] Fonts [x] Colors

    If I check the "always use my colors" box, I get blue and purple links. The
    background color is either gray or white, depending on the "use system
    colors" box.

    If I un-check the "always use my colors" box, I get the author's background
    image/color, but I am no longer in control of my link colors.

    Firefox needs separate "Use my background colors" and "Use my text/link
    colors" options.

    I realize that these settings may not always work as expected if CSS is
    being used, but they also don't seem to do what you suggest with plain
    HTML-only pages.
    --
    FoxWolfie

    FoxWolfie Galen, Jul 15, 2005
  10. On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:23:01 -0500, Travis Evans
    <> wrote:

    > I used the userContent.css file to force only my chosen link colors, and
    > leave everything else alone. This file is placed in the chrome
    > directory of your profile. You can determine where your profile is by
    > checking this page:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile
    >
    > If you create a new text file in the chrome directory and name it
    > userContent.css, you can add CSS rules to it that affect page display.
    > Part of mine used to look like this:
    >
    > ----------
    > /* Force link underline and visited link color */
    > a[href] {
    > text-decoration: underline ! important;
    > }
    >
    > a[href]:visited {
    > color: #ff00ff ! important;
    > }
    > ----------
    >
    > The first part forces an underline to appear on links always. The
    > second part forces the color of visited links to be light magenta
    > always. I didn't care what color unvisited links were, but if I did, I
    > could create copy the line "color: #ff00ff ! important;" to the upper
    > section and adjust the color code to do that.
    >
    > If you describe exactly how you want the links to appear, I'll see if I
    > can come up with a block of CSS code that will do it.

    Thank you. This is something I wish I had done a long time ago. I finally
    have a way to force my link colors *without* sacrificing my ability to see
    background images. It works great. :)

    FoxWolfie Galen, Jul 15, 2005
  11. dimestore

    Moz Champion Guest

    FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:32:33 GMT, Moz Champion <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>You over-ride just link colours using the preference

    > Not in my copy of Firefox (1.0.4).
    >

    >>Some pages dont specify link and visited link colours alone, but use all
    >>inclusive settings for the page/frame. When you choose to over-ride on
    >>these type of pages, you will lose ALL the colour settings, not just the
    >>link specific ones. The link colour selections were designed to work
    >>with the old standard page settings, not the new CSS type of
    >>complimentary 'sets' many pages now use.

    > What is the combination of settings that would allow me to force my link
    > colors to standard blue and purple *and* still allow the author's
    > background image/color to be displayed. I can't seem to do it on any HTML
    > page, nor on any CSS pages.
    >

    >>Its really NOT such a 'basic' thing, not with CSS and the relatively
    >>newer types of pages. In basic HTML, yes, it was a 'basic' thing, which
    >>is why you can change the links (and links alone) with Firefox.

    > Assuming we are talking about basic HTML, how do I do this? I want Firefox
    > to force my link colors *without* also forcing the background to a fixed
    > color? Transparent doesn't appear to be a choice for the background color.
    > I would love to *only* force the link colors to be my own. That means I do
    > *not* want to suppress the original background image most of the time.
    >
    > Here are my current settings:
    >

    > Text and Background Link Colors
    > Text: [black] Unvisited Links: [blue ]
    > Background: [gray ] Visited Links: [purple]
    >
    > [ ] Use System Colors [ ] Underline links
    >
    > Always use my: [x] Fonts [x] Colors
    >

    > If I check the "always use my colors" box, I get blue and purple links. The
    > background color is either gray or white, depending on the "use system
    > colors" box.
    >
    > If I un-check the "always use my colors" box, I get the author's background
    > image/color, but I am no longer in control of my link colors.
    >
    > Firefox needs separate "Use my background colors" and "Use my text/link
    > colors" options.
    >
    > I realize that these settings may not always work as expected if CSS is
    > being used, but they also don't seem to do what you suggest with plain
    > HTML-only pages.

    It would be much simpler, and easier to follow if you bottom-posted.
    That is quote the entire previous message and then write your reply, not
    intersperse them as you have done. To answer your points, I am now
    forced to scroll up (and then back down) to write a reply

    Moz Champion, Jul 16, 2005