    now?

    Any help would be greatfull

    Lex

    alexander rickert, Dec 7, 2004

  2. alexander rickert

    HF Guest

    Sygate is free firewall.
    "alexander rickert" <"alexander_rickert(removethis)"@telenet.be> wrote in
    message news:...

    HF, Dec 7, 2004

  3. alexander rickert

    Plato Guest

    alexander rickert wrote:

    > How can I protect me against it?

    Dont download it in the first place. Secondly, if you do download it,
    dont install it.

    Plato, Dec 7, 2004
  4. alexander rickert

    James Baber Guest

    alexander rickert wrote:

    > hello
    >
    > I got just infected by this worm/virus/ hors or whatever. Since that i
    > couldn't get on any AV-site and couldnt remove it..
    > So I formatted.
    > This thing got trough my norton firewall and antivirus.
    >
    > I installed AVG Free and he found it immediately.
    > Is there some kind of free firewall too available?
    > How can I protect me against it?
    >
    > And does it really seak passwords? Do I have to change all my passwords
    > now?
    >
    > Any help would be greatfull

    > Lex

    Lex, I personally have had to completely remove Norton and
    McAfee because of problems they both have caused me. I
    admit this occurred some time ago on my 2 computers, but my
    wife just removed Norton last month from her computer. (she
    replaced it with a new release of McAfee. (seems to work,
    but, its slower than either of my machines.

    I am running 3 layers of protection.

    1st I am using a Linksys router / 4 port switch that
    includes a hardware firewall to attach to my cable modem.
    This is a shared access point the on our homes network, so
    that we all can use the internet at the same time.

    Each of the other computers are attached to this router /
    switch either directly or by a hub.

    Both of my computers run the Zone Alarm software firewall. I
    am using M$ XP PRO service pack 2, BUT, I will NOT use the
    built in XP firewall, because it only does 1/2 the job.

    The Zone Alarm product traps both incoming & OUTGOING
    access. (If something bad does leak thru and infect you
    because it is so new that your firewall and filters do not
    catch it, at least you won't pass it on.) This programs free
    version is good, but it is somewhat a pain until you have
    let it know about all of the programs you use on the
    internet, It checks each one the 1st time it sees it, and
    won't let have access until you approve.

    Next, I use the AVG Anti-Virus (http://www.grisoft.com),
    which is free, and it stays resident fast to eliminate worms
    and viruses. I believe it to be as good as anything I've
    tried. Any problems it finds it identifies and gives you an
    opportunity to attempt corrections if can. You can also
    remove problematic modules, but it will always put anything
    it identified into a locked vault area where it CAN NOT
    infect your computer or drives.

    I also run a free program called Spykiller, periodically
    (weekly) to detect SpyWare, AdWare, SpyBots, KeyLoggers,
    Browser Hijackers, and MalWare. You can reach them at
    http://www.spykiller.com/

    Between these products I've not had any problems lately, or
    at the least they were trapped and rendered harmless (4
    worms today that won't bother me or anyone getting anything
    from me.

    --
    Jim Baber
    Email

    1350 W Mesa Ave.
    Fresno CA, 93711
    (559) 435-9068
    (559) 905-2204 (A no charge Verizon IN cellphone to other
    Verizon IN accounts)
    See our 10kW grid tied solar system at "www.baber.org"

    James Baber, Dec 7, 2004
  5. alexander rickert

    effi Guest

    do you have file sharing turned on?

    did "they" maybe slip into your computer that way?

    if so, is a firewall useless if file sharing is turned on?

    updates on zone labs' site

    effi, Dec 8, 2004
  6. alexander rickert

    Duane Arnold Guest

    James Baber <> wrote in news:W3ntd.152265$V41.102654
    @attbi_s52:

    > alexander rickert wrote:
    >
    >> hello
    >>
    >> I got just infected by this worm/virus/ hors or whatever. Since that i
    >> couldn't get on any AV-site and couldnt remove it..
    >> So I formatted.
    >> This thing got trough my norton firewall and antivirus.
    >>
    >> I installed AVG Free and he found it immediately.
    >> Is there some kind of free firewall too available?
    >> How can I protect me against it?
    >>
    >> And does it really seak passwords? Do I have to change all my

    passwords
    >> now?
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatfull

    >> Lex

    > Lex, I personally have had to completely remove Norton and
    > McAfee because of problems they both have caused me. I
    > admit this occurred some time ago on my 2 computers, but my
    > wife just removed Norton last month from her computer. (she
    > replaced it with a new release of McAfee. (seems to work,
    > but, its slower than either of my machines.
    >
    > I am running 3 layers of protection.
    >
    > 1st I am using a Linksys router / 4 port switch that
    > includes a hardware firewall to attach to my cable modem.
    > This is a shared access point the on our homes network, so
    > that we all can use the internet at the same time.

    All the Linksys router has is NAT and maybe SPI with FW like features at
    best. It is not a FW appliance.

    It falls into the category of a simple NAT router with some FW like
    features.

    D-link, Linksys, Netgear, Belkin etc etc NAT routers fall into the above
    category and they do NOT have a FW.

    WatchGuard, Cisco, Snapgear etc, etc are FW appliances that have a FW
    that meets the specs for a FW appliance.

    *What does a FW do?*

    http://tinyurl.com/4awxu

    > Each of the other computers are attached to this router /
    > switch either directly or by a hub.
    >
    > Both of my computers run the Zone Alarm software firewall. I
    > am using M$ XP PRO service pack 2, BUT, I will NOT use the
    > built in XP firewall, because it only does 1/2 the job.
    >
    > The Zone Alarm product traps both incoming & OUTGOING
    > access. (If something bad does leak thru and infect you
    > because it is so new that your firewall and filters do not
    > catch it, at least you won't pass it on.) This programs free
    > version is good, but it is somewhat a pain until you have
    > let it know about all of the programs you use on the
    > internet, It checks each one the 1st time it sees it, and
    > won't let have access until you approve.
    >
    > Next, I use the AVG Anti-Virus (http://www.grisoft.com),
    > which is free, and it stays resident fast to eliminate worms
    > and viruses. I believe it to be as good as anything I've
    > tried. Any problems it finds it identifies and gives you an
    > opportunity to attempt corrections if can. You can also
    > remove problematic modules, but it will always put anything
    > it identified into a locked vault area where it CAN NOT
    > infect your computer or drives.
    >
    > I also run a free program called Spykiller, periodically
    > (weekly) to detect SpyWare, AdWare, SpyBots, KeyLoggers,
    > Browser Hijackers, and MalWare. You can reach them at
    > http://www.spykiller.com/
    >
    > Between these products I've not had any problems lately, or
    > at the least they were trapped and rendered harmless (4
    > worms today that won't bother me or anyone getting anything
    > from me.

    The protection starts with the unknown element that's at the keyboard and
    using the mouse. If that unknown element has happy fingers and does
    stupid things, then none of the software above means a thing as malware
    can circumvent and defeat all of it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 8, 2004
  7. alexander rickert

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Dec 8, 2004
  8. hello

    We have a network and the disks are shared.
    Can this cause any probs?

    Tia

    lex

    AND thanx for all the advices

    alexander rickert, Dec 8, 2004
  9. alexander rickert

    Moe Hair Guest

    James Baber <> wrote in news:W3ntd.152265$V41.102654
    @attbi_s52:

    > Next, I use the AVG Anti-Virus (http://www.grisoft.com),
    > which is free, and it stays resident fast to eliminate worms
    > and viruses. I believe it to be as good as anything I've
    > tried. Any problems it finds it identifies and gives you an
    > opportunity to attempt corrections if can. You can also
    > remove problematic modules, but it will always put anything
    > it identified into a locked vault area where it CAN NOT
    > infect your computer or drives.

    Any reason why everyone goes with AVG free and not Kapersky?

    Btw, why not run two AV programs on your computer - one in resident memory,
    and the other just to do a scan for doublechecking every so often?
    We all seem to be running several Spyware protection programs, so why not
    keep an extra AV program (though not in start-up).

    Moe Hair, Dec 9, 2004
  10. alexander rickert

    Thor Guest

    "Moe Hair" <> wrote in message
    > James Baber <> wrote in news:W3ntd.152265$V41.102654
    > @attbi_s52:
    >
    >> Next, I use the AVG Anti-Virus (http://www.grisoft.com),
    >> which is free, and it stays resident fast to eliminate worms
    >> and viruses. I believe it to be as good as anything I've
    >> tried. Any problems it finds it identifies and gives you an
    >> opportunity to attempt corrections if can. You can also
    >> remove problematic modules, but it will always put anything
    >> it identified into a locked vault area where it CAN NOT
    >> infect your computer or drives.

    > Any reason why everyone goes with AVG free and not Kapersky?
    >
    > Btw, why not run two AV programs on your computer - one in resident
    > memory,
    > and the other just to do a scan for doublechecking every so often?
    > We all seem to be running several Spyware protection programs, so why not
    > keep an extra AV program (though not in start-up).

    While this can be done, it's really not as important as using multiple
    spyware scanners (and most people aren't using multiple *resident* spyware
    scanners BTW), because antivirus programs aren't nearly as prone to missing
    viruses as spyware programs are to missing different kinds of spyware. The
    database completness of most AV ware is such that running multiple scanners
    is mostly redundant. Using multiple anti-spyware tools is much more
    important to have complete coverage. AV programs are regularly tested and
    evaulated for their completness by ICSA labs, and they give a pass/fail
    score on completeness of detection. Anti Spyware programs really don't have
    anything like ICSA to impartially rate their performance.

    http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/index.shtml

    Thor, Dec 9, 2004