    Andy Petro Guest

    I would like to back up my IDE drive in Win XP with an external USB drive using Acronis True Image .
    Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Andy Petro, Nov 29, 2010

  2. Andy Petro

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:id0uea$6ha$-september.org "Andy Petro"
    <> wrote:

    > I would like to back up my IDE drive in Win XP with an external USB
    > drive using Acronis True Image . Any comments or suggestions would be
    > appreciated.

    I would suggest that you do that.

    Or did you mean something else?

    I've been using TI to external drives (USB and ESATA) for a few years
    with good results.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Nov 29, 2010

  3. Andy Petro

    meerkat Guest

    "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > In news:id0uea$6ha$-september.org "Andy Petro"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to back up my IDE drive in Win XP with an external USB
    >> drive using Acronis True Image . Any comments or suggestions would be
    >> appreciated.

    > I would suggest that you do that.
    >
    > Or did you mean something else?

    I 2nd that comment

    > I've been using TI to external drives (USB and ESATA) for a few years
    > with good results.

    DITTO.
    meerkat, Nov 29, 2010
  4. Andy Petro

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 14:20:48 -0500, Andy Petro wrote:

    > I would like to back up my IDE drive in Win XP with an external USB
    > drive using Acronis True Image . Any comments or suggestions would be
    > appreciated.

    <SNIP a bunch of HTML garbage>

    I suggest you don't post HTML in a Usenet newsgroup, you ignorant fucking
    moron.

    I also suggest you just **** right off.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he inserted the suppository.
    Dan C, Nov 30, 2010
  5. Andy Petro

    G. Morgan Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:

    >Please don't post in HTML.

    How did you even notice using Agent?

    --
    You'll be Ok, Enjoy. Life is nothing more than a bunch of mini
    vacations all rolled into one. - Old Gringo
    G. Morgan, Nov 30, 2010
  6. Evan Platt wrote:

    > 3. Andy Petro. A 32 line message. Really? Not possible. His questions
    > are always as vague as can be. There's no way he'd write a 32 line
    > message. That would require giving sufficient information to assist
    > him. His questions are like "My computer has 1 gig of memory. Is that
    > enough for what I do?" or "I'm running a program, but when I try to
    > save, it gives an error. What's wrong?" or "I can't print. Why?"

    Remember that Andy Petro is, or is very nearly, a nonagenarian. I tend
    to give those folks a bit of a break. :)

    --
    -bts
    -For those who don't understand, dictionary.com is just a click away
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 30, 2010
  7. Andy Petro

    G. Morgan Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    >Remember that Andy Petro is, or is very nearly, a nonagenarian. I tend
    >to give those folks a bit of a break. :)

    Where did you come up with "nonagenarian"?? I had to look that one up. :)

    G. Morgan, Nov 30, 2010
  8. Andy Petro

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 29/11/2010 19:20, Andy Petro wrote:
    > I would like to back up my IDE drive in Win XP with an external USB
    > drive using Acronis True Image .
    > Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

    That's a good idea. Do it.
    Desk Rabbit, Nov 30, 2010
  9. Evan Platt wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Remember that Andy Petro is, or is very nearly, a nonagenarian. I
    >> tend to give those folks a bit of a break. :)

    > I did too, the first few dozen times, but then it (wait for it) got
    > old real quick.

    It would be even easier then if you just ignored Mr Petro's posts, yes?
    Can't you just press "K" or "I" or something to kill his threads?
    Remember, he isn't going to get any younger!

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 30, 2010
  10. G. Morgan wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Remember that Andy Petro is, or is very nearly, a nonagenarian. I
    >> tend to give those folks a bit of a break. :)

    > Where did you come up with "nonagenarian"?? I had to look that one
    > up. :)

    Well .. I'm having to learn how to spell sep .. septa .. septuagenarian,
    as that's my next one, so while browsing the dictionary, I looked 'em
    all up. :)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 30, 2010
  11. Andy Petro

    G. Morgan Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    >Well .. I'm having to learn how to spell sep .. septa .. septuagenarian,
    >as that's my next one, so while browsing the dictionary, I looked 'em
    >all up. :)

    Gotcha.. septu-7, octo-8, nona-9 and cente-100

    Why are you having to learn those?

    G. Morgan, Nov 30, 2010
  12. G. Morgan wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Well .. I'm having to learn how to spell sep .. septa ..
    >> septuagenarian, as that's my next one, so while browsing the
    >> dictionary, I looked 'em all up. :)

    > Gotcha.. septu-7, octo-8, nona-9 and cente-100

    Perzackly.

    > Why are you having to learn those?

    Well, I'll be "septu" at my next birthday so it seemed fitting.
    Actually, my statement about "learn how to spell" them is a bit of
    humor, as I've known the terms since I was a denarian.

    (If you need to look that up, you can find all the proper terms here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageing#Dividing_the_lifespan <g> )

    --
    -bts
    -This poast is valid through December 21, 2012
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 30, 2010
  13. Andy Petro

    G. Morgan Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    >Well, I'll be "septu" at my next birthday so it seemed fitting.
    >Actually, my statement about "learn how to spell" them is a bit of
    >humor, as I've known the terms since I was a denarian.
    >
    >(If you need to look that up, you can find all the proper terms here:
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageing#Dividing_the_lifespan <g> )

    Interesting. Here I am a Quadragenarian and never came across those terms.

    Happy "septu-0"

    PS: Just hit 'send' and the spell checker does not like "Quadragenarian", it
    thinks it should be "Quadrangle". "Septu" didn't make the cut either. :)

    G. Morgan, Nov 30, 2010
  14. Andy Petro

    Barb Guest

    "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    > On 29/11/2010 19:20, Andy Petro wrote:
    >> I would like to back up my IDE drive in Win XP with an external USB
    >> drive using Acronis True Image .
    >> Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

    > That's a good idea. Do it.

    Yes, excellent idea - oldy-but-goodie: hard drive failure is not "if" but
    "when", and usually, in my experience with no warning at all. One day it
    just won't work.

    I have an image which I took some time ago with Acronis, which was of a
    clean install in WinXP.

    But, to save doing this repeatedly (which can be tedious, therefore you tend
    not to do it....), I have a list of valuable folders, My Docs, pictures,
    books, progs I want to keep, etc., and simply synch. them to my external USB
    drive regularly using an excellent prog. called FreeFileSync, which is very,
    very cool, quick and easy (therefore, you do it ...).

    In the event of disaster, I can restore my system to new, and I still have
    all my important stuff.

    Do it.

    Barb
    Barb, Nov 30, 2010
  15. Andy Petro

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 30/11/2010 14:09, Barb wrote:
    > "Desk Rabbit"<> wrote in message
    >> On 29/11/2010 19:20, Andy Petro wrote:
    >>> I would like to back up my IDE drive in Win XP with an external USB
    >>> drive using Acronis True Image .
    >>> Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

    >> That's a good idea. Do it.

    > Yes, excellent idea - oldy-but-goodie: hard drive failure is not "if" but
    > "when", and usually, in my experience with no warning at all. One day it
    > just won't work.

    Ah! The classic, "But it worked yesterday!", "Yes sir most things are
    working before they stop working, what were you expecting it to do prior
    to failure? Send you a note of apology or hum the last post?"

    > I have an image which I took some time ago with Acronis, which was of a
    > clean install in WinXP.

    Good for you.

    > But, to save doing this repeatedly (which can be tedious, therefore you tend
    > not to do it....), I have a list of valuable folders, My Docs, pictures,
    > books, progs I want to keep, etc., and simply synch. them to my external USB
    > drive regularly using an excellent prog. called FreeFileSync, which is very,
    > very cool, quick and easy (therefore, you do it ...).

    Good for you, if a bit fragmented.

    > In the event of disaster, I can restore my system to new, and I still have
    > all my important stuff.

    Good for you. I'd rather restore closer to how I am now than how it was
    months ago.

    > Do it.

    I do.

    > Barb

    So, why are you telling me all this?

    I deal with RAID, on, in and with SANS. I know about disk failures and
    good backups.

    I think you meant to respond to the OP.
    Desk Rabbit, Nov 30, 2010
  16. Andy Petro

    M.L. Guest

    >>> I would like to back up my IDE drive in Win XP with an external USB
    >>> drive using Acronis True Image .
    >>> Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

    >> That's a good idea. Do it.

    >Yes, excellent idea - oldy-but-goodie: hard drive failure is not "if" but
    >"when", and usually, in my experience with no warning at all. One day it
    >just won't work.
    >
    >I have an image which I took some time ago with Acronis, which was of a
    >clean install in WinXP.
    >
    >But, to save doing this repeatedly (which can be tedious, therefore you tend
    >not to do it....), I have a list of valuable folders, My Docs, pictures,
    >books, progs I want to keep, etc., and simply synch. them to my external USB
    >drive regularly using an excellent prog. called FreeFileSync, which is very,
    >very cool, quick and easy (therefore, you do it ...).
    >
    >In the event of disaster, I can restore my system to new, and I still have
    >all my important stuff.

    I simply do a monthly 35 minute full imaging with Macrium Reflect,
    which allows me to explore its archive to extract any valuable files
    and folders if needed, so no need to do a separate file sync.
    M.L., Nov 30, 2010