    Being a novice I'm now 'stumped' as to what next to do to get the original
    files back to my pc.

    Thanks for any advice.

    johngood ............., Jul 12, 2007

  2. johngood   .............

    mappy24 Guest

    johngood ............. wrote:
    > I recently did a clean reinstall of xp and used the microsoft 'back up
    > utility' saved to an external hard drive.
    >
    > when I copy the file back from the ext hard drive to my desk top it appears
    > as an icon of 19.5 GB which wont open.
    >
    > So I went to the microsoft web search and it tells me its a file extension
    > BKF that i need to open it.
    >
    > Being a novice I'm now 'stumped' as to what next to do to get the original
    > files back to my pc.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.

    Click Start > Run > ntbackup > OK

    Follow the instructions in the restore wizard.

    mappy24, Jul 12, 2007

  3. "mappy24" <> wrote in message
    > johngood ............. wrote:
    >> I recently did a clean reinstall of xp and used the microsoft 'back up
    >> utility' saved to an external hard drive.
    >>
    >> when I copy the file back from the ext hard drive to my desk top it
    >> appears as an icon of 19.5 GB which wont open.
    >>
    >> So I went to the microsoft web search and it tells me its a file
    >> extension BKF that i need to open it.
    >>
    >> Being a novice I'm now 'stumped' as to what next to do to get the
    >> original files back to my pc.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any advice.

    > Click Start > Run > ntbackup > OK
    >
    > Follow the instructions in the restore wizard.

    Thanks to all. Reinstalled Microsoft back up utility from the Windows CD.
    The wizard that I copied on to the external hard drive I copied back to my
    desk top after the clean install. The wizard icon on the desktop says its'
    file size is 19.5 GB. But when I use the wizard to transfer it back to the
    cleaned hardrive, I get this report:

    Restore Status

    Operation: Restore

    Backup of "C: 397473", Restored to"C: 397473"
    Backup set #1 on media #1
    Backup description: "Set created 05/07/2007 at 09:23"

    Restore started on 14/07/2007 at 16:32.
    Warning: Unable to create "C:\_SharedHardlinkData_\18645780.30000.9276" -
    skipped.
    Reason: The system cannot find the path specified.

    Restore completed on 14/07/2007 at 16:52.
    Directories: 2940
    Files: 0
    Time: 19 minutes and 41 seconds

    I dont understand what is going on. Grateful for any advice please.
    Thanks

    johngood ............., Jul 14, 2007