    back up WXP Pro. I have WXP Home. If any one knows how to back up windows on
    WXP Home, I would be very grate if you could explain how to do it. Thanks
    for any help.

    Trish, Sep 23, 2005

  2. Trish

    David Benson Guest

    Trish,

    You need to install the ntbackup utility. It is not a part of the default
    installation for Windows XP Home, but it is on the XP Home disk. According
    to Microsoft's instructions:

    1.
    Insert the Windows XP Home Edition CD.

    2.
    Click Perform additional tasks.

    3.
    Navigate to the VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP folder.

    4.
    Double-click the ntbackup.msi file.

    MS warns that the VALUEADD folder may not be included in an OEM installation
    (that is, if your computer came with XP installed) or on the CD provided
    with your computer. In that case, they advise you to contact the
    manufacturer to see about getting these programs.

    -- David

    __________________________

    David Benson, Sep 24, 2005

  3. Trish

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I'm taking you to small claims court.

    --

    "Instead of trying to bash me you should try to learn from me and
    archive my posts so you can better help people in the future. If you don't

    -
    -

    pcbutts1, Sep 24, 2005
  4. Trish

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Trish" wrote in message news:dh1stp$j45$

    > It has been suggested to me that I should back up windows incase
    > I should ever need to re install it. By doing a google search I find you
    > can only back up WXP Pro. I have WXP Home. If any one knows how
    > to back up windows on WXP Home, I would be very grate if you could
    > explain how to do it. Thanks for any help.

    HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

    Dave Lear, Sep 24, 2005
  5. Trish

    Trish Guest

    Thanks for that David, but when I brought my PC, it didn't come with the WXP
    Home CD. I was told there is a way that you can make your own CD copy, but I
    don't know how.

    Trish, Sep 24, 2005
  6. Trish

    Trish Guest

    "Trish" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for that David, but when I brought my PC, it didn't come with the
    > WXP Home CD. I was told there is a way that you can make your own CD copy,
    > but I don't know how.

    Think it's done through 'Smart Restore' somehow, but not sure of the
    procedure.

    Trish, Sep 24, 2005
  7. Trish

    David Benson Guest

    Trish,

    I don't know of a way to make a Win XP installation CD, either. I didn't
    find any reference to "smart restore" on the MS website.

    You might be able to purchase an installation CD from a computer repair shop
    for a nominal fee -- I did this recently for a laptop I have that had WinME
    factory-installed. In my case, I took the laptop in, showed them the
    Microsoft "Certificate of Authenticity" on the bottom, and they sold me a
    copy of the WinME CD for $5.00. You should call around to some repair
    facilities in your area to see if they provide a similar service. I would
    suggest you try some of the smaller, privately-owned places, rather than the
    big electronic retailers.

    You might also trying contacting the manufacturer of your PC to see if they
    will provide you with one.

    Good luck!

    -- David

    David Benson, Sep 24, 2005