Back-up solutions & 255 character limit??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., May 10, 2005.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    So, I mentioned earlier I was not backing up my data, even though I had just
    installed a new 40X CD-RW drive.

    Here is why:

    When I use NERO to burn my CD's, it says I have a lot of files with names
    longer than 255 characters. It also says some of my files go more than 8
    path-levels deep. And that the combined length of even more of my files when
    you add all the embedded folders together is also longer than 255
    characters! It says this is not ISO compliant and do I still want to burn my
    CD's, which is not recommended. I say no. But it will take me months to
    reduce the name size of all of my files. So I cannot back-up my files this
    way!

    So how can I back-up my files?

    BTW, XP Home does not have a back-up function!! Even though Dell says it
    does:

    http://windows.about.com/od/shortcutsquickieshowto/l/aa020203a.htm

    "If you have Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition, you will easily be
    able to find the Backup Utility by clicking Start -> All Programs ->
    Accessories -> System Tools -> Backup. However, if you are using Windows XP
    Home Edition, your search for a backup utility under System Tools will be
    fruitless. Although Microsoft originally planned to include the Backup
    Utility in the Home Edition as well as the Professional Edition, they
    removed it, for reasons known to themselves, from the final version that you
    can buy today."

    another question: I also have bought a new 120 GB hard drive from Western
    Digital for only $40 after rebate! I also bought Norton Partition Magic and
    Ghost. I want to use the above to somehow come up with a back-up system.
    Maybe involving RAID? I heard from the CompUSA salesman that if you install
    two hard drives, the computer can be set up so your data is written to both
    hard drives simultaneously, so whenever your computer crashes, you just
    switch hard drives and go on like nothing has happened. Is this true? I
    think it is called RAID.

    And can I partition my current 40 GB Dell hard drive now, even though I have
    been using it for 1 year? It is 25% full.

    Thanks!

    Julie P., May 10, 2005

  2. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > So, I mentioned earlier I was not backing up my data, even though I had
    > just installed a new 40X CD-RW drive.
    >
    > Here is why:
    >
    > When I use NERO to burn my CD's, it says I have a lot of files with names
    > longer than 255 characters. It also says some of my files go more than 8
    > path-levels deep. And that the combined length of even more of my files
    > when you add all the embedded folders together is also longer than 255
    > characters! It says this is not ISO compliant and do I still want to burn
    > my CD's, which is not recommended. I say no. But it will take me months to
    > reduce the name size of all of my files.

    you see: I have back-up copies made by Word and Excel for all of my docs and
    spreadsheets. So when I manually change the name of one file, I have to
    change the name of my back-up file as well to the exact name, preceded by
    "Backup of "! This takes a long time! Sometimes I have to use the search
    function to find the location of a file that is longer than 255 characters.
    So I can change all the names, but there is going to be some work involved.

    Julie P., May 10, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > So, I mentioned earlier I was not backing up my data, even though I had
    > just installed a new 40X CD-RW drive.
    >
    > Here is why:

    Also, I would not know even how to back-up non-document files to CD-R's. Do
    I just start dragging and dropping random folders in NERO to burn, including
    my OS files and Program files???

    Can I just copy my entire hard drive to another hard drive? That would be so
    easy Will the OS overwrite itself??

    Am I allowed to burn back-up CD's for Windows XP and other programs?? The
    other day, I think I got punished for burning a McAfee AS 2005 CD. When I
    finished burning and tried to close NERO, there was an crash/error and my
    CD-ROM drive popped open and refused to close. I had to restart, and
    Microsoft said this is a known NERO issue with no known solution . I think
    that might be Microsoft speak for saying you illegally burned a copyrighted
    CD???

    Julie P., May 10, 2005
  4. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message

    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >> So, I mentioned earlier I was not backing up my data, even though I had
    >> just installed a new 40X CD-RW drive.
    >>
    >> Here is why:

    > Also, I would not know even how to back-up non-document files to CD-R's.
    > Do I just start dragging and dropping random folders in NERO to burn,
    > including my OS files and Program files???
    >
    > Can I just copy my entire hard drive to another hard drive? That would be
    > so easy Will the OS overwrite itself??
    >
    > Am I allowed to burn back-up CD's for Windows XP and other programs?? The
    > other day, I think I got punished for burning a McAfee AS 2005 CD. When I
    > finished burning and tried to close NERO, there was an crash/error and my
    > CD-ROM drive popped open and refused to close. I had to restart, and
    > Microsoft said this is a known NERO issue with no known solution . I think
    > that might be Microsoft speak for saying you illegally burned a
    > copyrighted CD???

    Also, I want to get a Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW drive which will hold 4.7 GB per
    DVD-R instead of those tiny CD-R's, but it costs $129. Should I wait for the
    price to go down? Should I wait for a larger DVD-R to come out?

    I am worried if I buy the DVD drive, there will soon be a better drive than
    can burn 10 GB DVD's, or whatever? Or the price will go down later on. When
    will things level out so it is safe to buy? I want to wait until they invent
    the maximum DVD-R size, and then buy.

    See, I just mistakenly installed a new CD-RW drive, instead of a DVD drive.
    I didn't know you were allowed to write data to DVD's. I thought it was only
    for movies. I don;t want to make that mistake twice.

    And I installed 1 GB RAM (2 x 512 MB sticks) instead of getting two 1 GB
    sticks. Now I will soon need the 1 GB sticks anyway, as I will need 3-4 GB
    of RAM.

    Julie P., May 10, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    Miles Ahead Guest

    On Mon, 9 May 2005 22:30:32 -0400, "Julie P." <>
    wrote:

    >But it will take me months to
    >reduce the name size of all of my files. So I cannot back-up my files this
    >way!

    Get yourself an archive program, like UltimateZip
    http://www.ultimatezip.com/ and zip up
    the files you want to burn. Then you only have to drag a few
    zip files onto Nero and burn them. The long filenames will
    be hidden inside the zip files.

    Miles Ahead, May 10, 2005
  6. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Miles Ahead" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 9 May 2005 22:30:32 -0400, "Julie P." <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>But it will take me months to
    >>reduce the name size of all of my files. So I cannot back-up my files this
    >>way!

    > Get yourself an archive program, like UltimateZip
    > http://www.ultimatezip.com/ and zip up
    > the files you want to burn. Then you only have to drag a few
    > zip files onto Nero and burn them. The long filenames will
    > be hidden inside the zip files.

    Thank you! Will try!

    And sorry everyone for making so many posts today!

    Julie

    Julie P., May 10, 2005
  7. Julie P.

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Windows XP Home does have a backup utility it is just not installed by
    default like Pro is. You have to install it from the XP cd. Here's how.

    1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the drive and, if necessary, double-click
    the CD icon in My Computer.

    2. On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen, click Perform Additional
    Tasks.

    3. Click Browse this CD.

    4. In Windows Explorer, double-click the ValueAdd folder, then Msft, and
    then Ntbackup.

    5. Double-click Ntbackup.msi to install the Backup utility.

    Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System
    Tools, and then click Backup to start the wizard.

    The XP backup utility will not backup directly to a CDRW so you have to
    backup everything to a folder on your HD then burn that to a CD.

    pcbutts1, May 10, 2005
  8. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > another question: I also have bought a new 120 GB hard drive from Western
    > Digital for only $40 after rebate! I also bought Norton Partition Magic
    > and Ghost. I want to use the above to somehow come up with a back-up
    > system. Maybe involving RAID? I heard from the CompUSA salesman that if
    > you install two hard drives, the computer can be set up so your data is
    > written to both hard drives simultaneously, so whenever your computer
    > crashes, you just switch hard drives and go on like nothing has happened.
    > Is this true? I think it is called RAID.

    What you are referring to is drive 'mirroring'. It's normally used in
    network server equipment using hot-swap drives. If one drive fails, the
    server is still running - on the 'mirror' drive. A replacement is put in the
    server, the drive is mirrored to match. No down time. It's not really
    considered a backup option. There are many other functions in the RAID
    family.

    > And can I partition my current 40 GB Dell hard drive now, even though I
    > have been using it for 1 year? It is 25% full.

    Partition Magic will allow you to partition your current drive. But I
    wouldn't, if you have a 120 now as well. I would probably partition that,
    and use Ghost to write an image of your 40 gig drive to it. You could do
    three partitions, and Ghost your C: drive to a different partition on a
    rotating schedule.

    You mentioned a dual-layer DVD writer as well, with it's 8gig or so
    capacity. I doubt the price will come down much any time soon. Nor will
    there be a better option any time soon either, based on price per DVD media.
    And using a program like Backup MyPC (from Sonic - does backup straight to
    CDR, CDRW, etc.) to do scheduled data backups to DVD, on a rotating basis,
    you can have a great backup system.

    Toolman Tim, May 10, 2005
  9. Julie P.

    mhicaoidh Guest

    mhicaoidh, May 10, 2005
  10. Julie P.

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Julie P." wrote in message news:p

    > BTW, XP Home does not have a back-up function!! Even though Dell
    > says it does:

    Of course, you checked your facts before you called into question Dell's
    advice, right?

    HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

    Dave Lear, May 10, 2005
  11. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >
    > <snip>
    >

    >> another question: I also have bought a new 120 GB hard drive from Western
    >> Digital for only $40 after rebate! I also bought Norton Partition Magic
    >> and Ghost. I want to use the above to somehow come up with a back-up
    >> system. Maybe involving RAID? I heard from the CompUSA salesman that if
    >> you install two hard drives, the computer can be set up so your data is
    >> written to both hard drives simultaneously, so whenever your computer
    >> crashes, you just switch hard drives and go on like nothing has happened.
    >> Is this true? I think it is called RAID.

    > What you are referring to is drive 'mirroring'. It's normally used in
    > network server equipment using hot-swap drives. If one drive fails, the
    > server is still running - on the 'mirror' drive. A replacement is put in
    > the server, the drive is mirrored to match. No down time. It's not really
    > considered a backup option. There are many other functions in the RAID
    > family.

    Tim, thanks, and sorry for my very late reply. I hope you are still around
    and that this reply appears. My worry is if I only do daily back-ups, and my
    computer crashes right before I back up, I will lose an entire day's worth
    of data, which would infuriate me.

    >> And can I partition my current 40 GB Dell hard drive now, even though I
    >> have been using it for 1 year? It is 25% full.

    > Partition Magic will allow you to partition your current drive. But I
    > wouldn't, if you have a 120 now as well. I would probably partition that,
    > and use Ghost to write an image of your 40 gig drive to it. You could do
    > three partitions, and Ghost your C: drive to a different partition on a
    > rotating schedule.

    Excellent idea. I'm curious as to what the advantage would be of doing a
    rotating schedule back-up. Is it because if one sector fails, you still have
    the other two?

    What I would like to do, going with your plans, is partition the 120 GB HD
    into three 40 GB sectors, and then copy my entire hard drive each night onto
    each of the three sectors. I hope this is possible.

    Of course, I am also running out of space on my 40 GB hard drive. It is now
    36% full, and will only shrink more once I install Ghost, Partition Magic,
    and Symantec Back-up. So I will eventually have to buy another 120 GB hard
    drive.

    > You mentioned a dual-layer DVD writer as well, with it's 8gig or so
    > capacity. I doubt the price will come down much any time soon. Nor will
    > there be a better option any time soon either, based on price per DVD
    > media. And using a program like Backup MyPC (from Sonic - does backup
    > straight to CDR, CDRW, etc.) to do scheduled data backups to DVD, on a
    > rotating basis, you can have a great backup system.

    Excellent! I will soon invest in this as well, although wouldn't it
    redundant if I regularly Ghost to another hard drive?

    Julie P., May 15, 2005
  12. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message
    > "Julie P." wrote in message news:p
    >
    >> BTW, XP Home does not have a back-up function!! Even though Dell
    >> says it does:

    > Of course, you checked your facts before you called into question Dell's
    > advice, right?
    >
    > HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

    Hey, thanks Dave and pcbutts for the advice on how to get XP's back-up
    function to appear! I will see if I can do this. Things have been busy, and
    I apologize for not replying sooner.

    Thanks also top mhicaoidh for the acronis link!

    J.

    Julie P., May 15, 2005
  13. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>

    >>> another question: I also have bought a new 120 GB hard drive from
    >>> Western Digital for only $40 after rebate! I also bought Norton
    >>> Partition Magic and Ghost. I want to use the above to somehow come up
    >>> with a back-up system. Maybe involving RAID? I heard from the CompUSA
    >>> salesman that if you install two hard drives, the computer can be set up
    >>> so your data is written to both hard drives simultaneously, so whenever
    >>> your computer crashes, you just switch hard drives and go on like
    >>> nothing has happened. Is this true? I think it is called RAID.

    >> What you are referring to is drive 'mirroring'. It's normally used in
    >> network server equipment using hot-swap drives. If one drive fails, the
    >> server is still running - on the 'mirror' drive. A replacement is put in
    >> the server, the drive is mirrored to match. No down time. It's not really
    >> considered a backup option. There are many other functions in the RAID
    >> family.
    >>

    > Tim, thanks, and sorry for my very late reply. I hope you are still around
    > and that this reply appears. My worry is if I only do daily back-ups, and
    > my computer crashes right before I back up, I will lose an entire day's
    > worth of data, which would infuriate me.

    Well, if you really are that paranoid about it, and you can afford the extra
    hardware, RAID mirroring is probably a good option. I seldom can justify
    that much redundancy except in servers.

    >>> And can I partition my current 40 GB Dell hard drive now, even though I
    >>> have been using it for 1 year? It is 25% full.

    >> Partition Magic will allow you to partition your current drive. But I
    >> wouldn't, if you have a 120 now as well. I would probably partition that,
    >> and use Ghost to write an image of your 40 gig drive to it. You could do
    >> three partitions, and Ghost your C: drive to a different partition on a
    >> rotating schedule.

    > Excellent idea. I'm curious as to what the advantage would be of doing a
    > rotating schedule back-up. Is it because if one sector fails, you still
    > have the other two?

    Pretty much.

    > What I would like to do, going with your plans, is partition the 120 GB HD
    > into three 40 GB sectors, and then copy my entire hard drive each night
    > onto each of the three sectors. I hope this is possible.
    >
    > Of course, I am also running out of space on my 40 GB hard drive. It is
    > now 36% full, and will only shrink more once I install Ghost, Partition
    > Magic, and Symantec Back-up. So I will eventually have to buy another 120
    > GB hard drive.

    Only 36% full? Geez...

    >> You mentioned a dual-layer DVD writer as well, with it's 8gig or so
    >> capacity. I doubt the price will come down much any time soon. Nor will
    >> there be a better option any time soon either, based on price per DVD
    >> media. And using a program like Backup MyPC (from Sonic - does backup
    >> straight to CDR, CDRW, etc.) to do scheduled data backups to DVD, on a
    >> rotating basis, you can have a great backup system.

    > Excellent! I will soon invest in this as well, although wouldn't it
    > redundant if I regularly Ghost to another hard drive?

    Not necessarily. I have the mirrored RAID arry on the network at work, plus
    removable backups. I have the online redunancy, and I have archived data
    from the entire last 7 years of our office data. (Only the month end backups
    are filed permanantly - daily backups are kept for a week, weekly for a
    month, monthlys are moved to a fire-proof vault.) At one point when our
    company had to provide old records for a client, we went to the computer and
    made a list of all that clients files, then loaded them back into the server
    for review.

    Toolman Tim, May 15, 2005
  14. Julie P.

    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> <snip>

    >>> What you are referring to is drive 'mirroring'. It's normally used in
    >>> network server equipment using hot-swap drives. If one drive fails, the
    >>> server is still running - on the 'mirror' drive. A replacement is put in
    >>> the server, the drive is mirrored to match. No down time. It's not
    >>> really considered a backup option. There are many other functions in the
    >>> RAID family.
    >>>

    >> Tim, thanks, and sorry for my very late reply. I hope you are still
    >> around and that this reply appears. My worry is if I only do daily
    >> back-ups, and my computer crashes right before I back up, I will lose an
    >> entire day's worth of data, which would infuriate me.

    > Well, if you really are that paranoid about it, and you can afford the
    > extra hardware, RAID mirroring is probably a good option. I seldom can
    > justify that much redundancy except in servers.

    Yes, I heard RAID is expensive. I might just try doing backups every 6 hours
    then. We'll see. Or maybe a program like Norton Back-up, although I hard
    that usually does more damage than help.

    >>> You mentioned a dual-layer DVD writer as well, with it's 8gig or so
    >>> capacity. I doubt the price will come down much any time soon. Nor will
    >>> there be a better option any time soon either, based on price per DVD
    >>> media. And using a program like Backup MyPC (from Sonic - does backup
    >>> straight to CDR, CDRW, etc.) to do scheduled data backups to DVD, on a
    >>> rotating basis, you can have a great backup system.

    >> Excellent! I will soon invest in this as well, although wouldn't it
    >> redundant if I regularly Ghost to another hard drive?
    >>

    > Not necessarily. I have the mirrored RAID arry on the network at work,
    > plus removable backups. I have the online redunancy, and I have archived
    > data from the entire last 7 years of our office data. (Only the month end
    > backups are filed permanantly - daily backups are kept for a week, weekly
    > for a month, monthlys are moved to a fire-proof vault.) At one point when
    > our company had to provide old records for a client, we went to the
    > computer and made a list of all that clients files, then loaded them back
    > into the server for review.

    Thanks Tim for the help! I have a new idea. Since Ghost 9.0 has many
    problems:

    http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/287204/Main/285917
    http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=103602

    I have decided to use Ghost to back-up to one partition, and Acronis True
    Image to back-up to the other two partitions!

    Julie P., May 16, 2005
  15. Julie P.

    > You mentioned a dual-layer DVD writer as well, with it's 8gig or so
    > capacity. I doubt the price will come down much any time soon.

    Great news Tim! Staples has dual layer I/O Magic DVD-RW drives for only $40
    after rebates this week, in celebration of their 19th anniversary! I'm glad
    I waited. (BTW, if anyone cares, they also have 200 GB 7200 Maxtor hard
    drives for only $70 after the rebate!)

    Julie P., May 16, 2005
  16. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You mentioned a dual-layer DVD writer as well, with it's 8gig or so
    >> capacity. I doubt the price will come down much any time soon.

    > Great news Tim! Staples has dual layer I/O Magic DVD-RW drives for only
    > $40 after rebates this week, in celebration of their 19th anniversary!

    Here it is:

    http://snipurl.com/ex5j

    Julie P., May 16, 2005
  17. Julie P.

    Guest

    Circuit City has an 80GB dual-option USB External Drive (7200 RPM) on
    sale for $49.99 after $50.00 worth of rebates. I have a couple of them.
    One I purchased from OfficeMax about a month ago, the other from
    Circuit City yesterday. I don't much care for the Dantz Retrospect
    Backup Software that comes with the WD external hard drive. I use
    XXCOPY (freeware) that works wonderfully with the drives. Once
    installed, XXCOPY can be run from the Start Run box, a batch file, or
    in DOS mode.

    Once I have made the initial backup, which can take several hours on a
    computer system, the incremental backups take about 1/2 hour on each of
    my three systems. The command I run from a batch file for incremental
    backup is as follows:

    XXCOPY C:\ H:Office-Drive-C /S /PB /DA /H0 /BI /FF /Po0 /X*.tmp

    where I backup from drive C (the source) to H:\Office-Drive-C (the
    target). On my laptop the target is drive E:\Laptop-Drive-C.
    On my home desktop, the target is is E:\Home-Drive-C.

    The slash (/) commands I use with XXCOPY do the following:

    /S Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.
    /PB Shows Progress bar for the job (default file progress >= 1M).
    /DA Copies newer files and brand new files.
    /H0 Excludes hidden and/or system files (default).
    /BI Backs up incrementally, different (by time/size) files only.
    /FF Fuzzy Filetime (same as /FF2S --- matches within 2 sec).
    /Po0 Suppresses warning on file-overwrite (Legacy /Y).

    In reality, /DA and /BI are probably equivalent. In addition, /H0
    probably is not needed. But I use it anyway. /Po0 is needed, otherwise
    I would have to sit and watch the monitor to know when to enter Y to
    enable a file overwrite.

    When connected to any of my three computers, the files on an external
    drive are just as readable as on drive C. Also, I can update, copy, and
    delete files on the external drive.

    I update every day, usually before I go home or before the end of the
    evening. Once a week, I swap the two external drives between the home
    desktop or laptop and the office computer. That way, from a computer at
    home or in the office, I can access the files that were stored on the
    other computer no more than a week ago. Prior to going on the road, I
    do an incremental backup on all computers and take one of the external
    drives with me. That way, if I need a file on one of the other
    computers, I have it.

    John

    , May 17, 2005