    I thought I remembered big text stating "To be continued" at the end
    of Back to the Future (1) as the car is flying away. Did they remove
    it for the DVD?

    Tim923, Apr 18, 2005

  2. Tim923

    unclejr Guest

    Tim923 wrote:
    > I thought I remembered big text stating "To be continued" at the end
    > of Back to the Future (1) as the car is flying away. Did they remove
    > it for the DVD?

    Google is your friend...

    This was hashed about in this NG ad nauseam when the trilogy was first
    introduced on DVD. The "Reader's Digest" version is that the DVD *IS*
    the theatrical presentation. The "To Be Continued" teaser was tacked
    onto the home video presentation so as to advertise for the sequel.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Apr 18, 2005

  3. Tim923

    Aphelion Guest

    >I thought I remembered big text stating "To be continued" at the end
    > of Back to the Future (1) as the car is flying away. Did they remove
    > it for the DVD?

    Apparently the original theatrical release didn't have the TO BE
    CONTINUED... tag and it only appeared on the home video version. Wanting
    the DVD to reflect the theatrical cut, the producers opted to remove the
    TBC. Personally, I prefer the TBC as it enhances the ending, I think they
    made a poor choice removing it for the DVD. They are selling it as the
    trilogy, after all.

    Aphelion

    Aphelion, Apr 18, 2005
  4. Tim923

    Tim923 Guest

    "unclejr" wrote:
    >Google is your friend...
    >This was hashed about in this NG ad nauseam when the trilogy was first
    >introduced on DVD. The "Reader's Digest" version is that the DVD *IS*
    >the theatrical presentation. The "To Be Continued" teaser was tacked
    >onto the home video presentation so as to advertise for the sequel.

    Not that it matters, but it was strange not seeing it, and then I
    wondered if my memory was failing me (maybe I confused it with another
    movie).

    Tim923, Apr 18, 2005
  5. Tim923

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Aphelion" <> wrote in message
    > Apparently the original theatrical release didn't have the TO BE
    > CONTINUED... tag and it only appeared on the home video version.
    > Wanting the DVD to reflect the theatrical cut, the producers opted to
    > remove the TBC. Personally, I prefer the TBC as it enhances the
    > ending, I think they made a poor choice removing it for the DVD. They
    > are selling it as the trilogy, after all.

    Ideally, they should have included both versions as a branching option.

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 18, 2005
  6. Tim923

    M.B. Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Aphelion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Apparently the original theatrical release didn't have the TO BE
    >>CONTINUED... tag and it only appeared on the home video version.
    >>Wanting the DVD to reflect the theatrical cut, the producers opted to
    >>remove the TBC. Personally, I prefer the TBC as it enhances the
    >>ending, I think they made a poor choice removing it for the DVD. They
    >>are selling it as the trilogy, after all.

    > Ideally, they should have included both versions as a branching option.

    For 5 seconds of an on-screen title??? Come on! That's a little much if
    you ask me.

    M.B., Apr 18, 2005
  7. Tim923

    Bill Guest

    "Tim923" <> wrote in message
    >I thought I remembered big text stating "To be continued" at the end
    > of Back to the Future (1) as the car is flying away. Did they remove
    > it for the DVD?

    In the DVD commentary track for "Back to the Future," it's confirmed that
    "To Be Continued" was added to the VHS release, and was not in the
    theatrical version.

    Bill, Apr 18, 2005
  8. Bill wrote:
    > "Tim923" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I thought I remembered big text stating "To be continued" at the end
    >>of Back to the Future (1) as the car is flying away. Did they remove
    >>it for the DVD?

    > In the DVD commentary track for "Back to the Future," it's confirmed that
    > "To Be Continued" was added to the VHS release, and was not in the
    > theatrical version.

    Not that that settled the argument that was raging at the time.

    Matthew

    Matthew L. Martin, Apr 18, 2005
  9. Tim923

    jayembee Guest

    "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote:

    > Bill wrote:
    >>
    >> In the DVD commentary track for "Back to the Future," it's confirmed that
    >> "To Be Continued" was added to the VHS release, and was not in the
    >> theatrical version.

    > Not that that settled the argument that was raging at the time.

    I thought it was hysterical that the person insisting that the tag was in there
    originally refused to believe that word of the film's director that it wasn't.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Apr 18, 2005
  10. Tim923

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "M.B." <no_spam_@for_you.com> wrote in message
    >> Ideally, they should have included both versions as a branching
    >> option.

    > For 5 seconds of an on-screen title??? Come on! That's a little much
    > if you ask me.

    I would personally prefer to have it in there, as it adds continuity to
    the trilogy as a single package.

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 18, 2005
  11. Tim923

    Jay G. Guest

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:27:24 GMT, jayembee wrote:
    > "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>> In the DVD commentary track for "Back to the Future," it's confirmed that
    >>> "To Be Continued" was added to the VHS release, and was not in the
    >>> theatrical version.

    >> Not that that settled the argument that was raging at the time.

    > I thought it was hysterical that the person insisting that the tag was in there
    > originally refused to believe that word of the film's director that it wasn't.

    He actually called Zemeckis and Gale liars.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 19, 2005
  12. Tim923

    Jay G. Guest

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:29:08 -0400, M.B. wrote:

    > Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >>>Apparently the original theatrical release didn't have the TO BE
    >>>CONTINUED... tag and it only appeared on the home video version.
    >>>Wanting the DVD to reflect the theatrical cut, the producers opted to
    >>>remove the TBC. Personally, I prefer the TBC as it enhances the
    >>>ending, I think they made a poor choice removing it for the DVD. They
    >>>are selling it as the trilogy, after all.

    >> Ideally, they should have included both versions as a branching option.
    >>

    > For 5 seconds of an on-screen title??? Come on! That's a little much if
    > you ask me.

    You're right, alternate angles would've worked just as well.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 19, 2005
  13. Tim923

    M.B. Guest

    Jay G. wrote:

    >>>Ideally, they should have included both versions as a branching option.
    >>>

    >>For 5 seconds of an on-screen title??? Come on! That's a little much if
    >>you ask me.

    > You're right, alternate angles would've worked just as well.

    And if you want continuity Joshua, just pop in the second DVD as soon as
    you finish disc one...

    M.B., Apr 19, 2005
  14. Tim923

    > And if you want continuity Joshua, just pop in the second DVD as soon
    > as you finish disc one...

    That won't help much with the fact that the second movie says "To Be
    Concluded" and the third movie says "The End", but the first movie
    says..... nothing.

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 19, 2005
  15. Tim923

    Bratboy Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "M.B." <no_spam_@for_you.com> wrote in message
    >> And if you want continuity Joshua, just pop in the second DVD as soon as
    >> you finish disc one...

    > That won't help much with the fact that the second movie says "To Be
    > Concluded" and the third movie says "The End", but the first movie
    > says..... nothing.

    OMG! Sue the Studio for ruining the entire movie because they didnt include
    a LATER modification that was done for Vid Tape distro, NOT! You could just
    go buy a small piece of Posterboard, write "To be continued" on it and hold
    it up in front of the TV right after 1st movie is over. Just amazes me when
    so many yell "I want a copy exactly like what was shown in theaters, don't
    edit it" then they yell for something else that in no way shape or form
    effects the actual movie & was done a yr later. If you really REALLY need
    that lil placard so you know there is a sequal then go buy the Vid tape
    version or get real creative and do a DVD vid edit and add it yourself. Why
    make a mountain out of a mole hole.

    Bratboy, Apr 19, 2005
  16. Tim923

    Jim Nason Guest

    "Jay G." <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:27:24 GMT, jayembee wrote:

    >>> Not that that settled the argument that was raging at the time.

    >> I thought it was hysterical that the person insisting that the tag was in
    >> there
    >> originally refused to believe that word of the film's director that it
    >> wasn't.

    > He actually called Zemeckis and Gale liars.
    >
    > -Jay

    Didn't any of you guys go to the movies back in the Eighties?

    Jim Nason, Apr 19, 2005
  17. Tim923

    jayembee Guest

    "Jim Nason" <> wrote:

    > "Jay G." <> wrote:
    >> jayembee wrote:

    >>> I thought it was hysterical that the person insisting that the tag was in
    >>> there originally refused to believe that word of the film's director that it
    >>> wasn't.

    >> He actually called Zemeckis and Gale liars.

    > Didn't any of you guys go to the movies back in the Eighties?

    Hell, I was going to the movies back in the 60s. What's your point?

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Apr 19, 2005
  18. Tim923

    M.B. Guest

    Jim Nason wrote:
    > Didn't any of you guys go to the movies back in the Eighties?

    Yes. Your point is?

    M.B., Apr 19, 2005
  19. Tim923

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    jayembee wrote:
    > "Jim Nason" <> wrote:

    >>>He actually called Zemeckis and Gale liars.

    >>Didn't any of you guys go to the movies back in the Eighties?

    > Hell, I was going to the movies back in the 60s. What's your point?

    Fifties. Actually probably the 40's as well but I'm not sure that I
    remember any of those that I saw when I was that young.

    dick
    -- do we hear a 30's?

    Dick Sidbury, Apr 19, 2005
  20. Tim923

    M.B. Guest

    Dick Sidbury wrote:
    > jayembee wrote:

    >>> Didn't any of you guys go to the movies back in the Eighties?

    >> Hell, I was going to the movies back in the 60s. What's your point?
    >>

    > Fifties. Actually probably the 40's as well but I'm not sure that I
    > remember any of those that I saw when I was that young.
    >
    > dick
    > -- do we hear a 30's?

    Well, I'm a young whippersnapper comapred to you guys. The earliest
    movie I can remember is E.T. in '82 and Christine in '83 when I was 5
    and 6 respectively.

    M.B., Apr 19, 2005