    did the make install thing but I can't figure out how to get this file
    compatible with 2.4.24.

    Any ideas?

    lance broyden, May 4, 2005

  2. lance broyden

    cowboyz Guest

    lance broyden wrote:

    > I have got xandros and I do like it. I spent some time last year working
    > with Mandrake and managed after a fair while to get the ihug Ultra working
    > with it but that was 2.4.19. THis is 2.4.24 and I tried to compile
    > another driver but keep getting this error..
    >
    > ./sm200d_lnx.o: kernel-module version mismatch
    > ./sm200d_lnx.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.19
    > while this kernel is version 2.4.24-x1
    >
    > I installed the kernel source to /usr/src/linux
    >
    > did the make install thing but I can't figure out how to get this file
    > compatible with 2.4.24.
    >

    > Any ideas?

    Oh, I just tried a insmod -f to force it and it turns out that is a very
    very bad idea. Lockup big time.

    cowboyz, May 4, 2005

  3. lance broyden

    steve Guest

    lance broyden wrote:

    > I have got xandros and I do like it. I spent some time last year working
    > with Mandrake and managed after a fair while to get the ihug Ultra working
    > with it but that was 2.4.19. THis is 2.4.24 and I tried to compile
    > another driver but keep getting this error..
    >
    > ./sm200d_lnx.o: kernel-module version mismatch
    > ./sm200d_lnx.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.19
    > while this kernel is version 2.4.24-x1
    >
    > I installed the kernel source to /usr/src/linux
    >
    > did the make install thing but I can't figure out how to get this file
    > compatible with 2.4.24.
    >

    > Any ideas?

    Have you looked on the Xandros forums for the steps to make the kernel
    source work properly?

    Xandros appear to have deliberately left some of the symlinks undone so that
    newbies and inexperienced users would not be able to mess up their systems
    by installing the kernel source and just compiling......whatever.

    There is a set of 4-5 commands you need to enter as root in order to
    properly prepare the source config files and set the right version numbers.

    Once you have that wee list, it takes about 30 seconds to get it all lined
    up to compile kernel-level stuff with the right versions....

    Check the Xandros user forums.

    steve, May 4, 2005
  4. lance broyden

    cowboyz Guest

    steve wrote:

    > lance broyden wrote:
    >
    >> I have got xandros and I do like it. I spent some time last year
    >> working with Mandrake and managed after a fair while to get the ihug
    >> Ultra working
    >> with it but that was 2.4.19. THis is 2.4.24 and I tried to compile
    >> another driver but keep getting this error..
    >>
    >> ./sm200d_lnx.o: kernel-module version mismatch
    >> ./sm200d_lnx.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.19
    >> while this kernel is version 2.4.24-x1
    >>
    >> I installed the kernel source to /usr/src/linux
    >>
    >> did the make install thing but I can't figure out how to get this file
    >> compatible with 2.4.24.
    >>

    >> Any ideas?

    > Have you looked on the Xandros forums for the steps to make the kernel
    > source work properly?
    >
    > Xandros appear to have deliberately left some of the symlinks undone so
    > that newbies and inexperienced users would not be able to mess up their
    > systems by installing the kernel source and just compiling......whatever.
    >
    > There is a set of 4-5 commands you need to enter as root in order to
    > properly prepare the source config files and set the right version
    > numbers.
    >
    > Once you have that wee list, it takes about 30 seconds to get it all lined
    > up to compile kernel-level stuff with the right versions....
    >
    > Check the Xandros user forums.

    How would I know if the kernel source is installed correctly. Xandros
    Netwrok says it is installed. /usr/src/linux/config-2.4.24-x1 is in the
    right place (I think)

    I didn't enter any commands but rather downloaded the source via winXP
    (where ultra works) and then run it under xandros and it said it was
    installed.

    I have had a look around the forum but not quite found what I am looking
    for. I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

    cowboyz, May 4, 2005
  5. lance broyden

    Allistar Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> lance broyden wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have got xandros and I do like it. I spent some time last year
    >>> working with Mandrake and managed after a fair while to get the ihug
    >>> Ultra working
    >>> with it but that was 2.4.19. THis is 2.4.24 and I tried to compile
    >>> another driver but keep getting this error..
    >>>
    >>> ./sm200d_lnx.o: kernel-module version mismatch
    >>> ./sm200d_lnx.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.19
    >>> while this kernel is version 2.4.24-x1
    >>>
    >>> I installed the kernel source to /usr/src/linux
    >>>
    >>> did the make install thing but I can't figure out how to get this file
    >>> compatible with 2.4.24.
    >>>

    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Have you looked on the Xandros forums for the steps to make the kernel
    >> source work properly?
    >>
    >> Xandros appear to have deliberately left some of the symlinks undone so
    >> that newbies and inexperienced users would not be able to mess up their
    >> systems by installing the kernel source and just compiling......whatever.
    >>
    >> There is a set of 4-5 commands you need to enter as root in order to
    >> properly prepare the source config files and set the right version
    >> numbers.
    >>
    >> Once you have that wee list, it takes about 30 seconds to get it all
    >> lined up to compile kernel-level stuff with the right versions....
    >>
    >> Check the Xandros user forums.

    > How would I know if the kernel source is installed correctly. Xandros
    > Netwrok says it is installed. /usr/src/linux/config-2.4.24-x1 is in the
    > right place (I think)
    >
    > I didn't enter any commands but rather downloaded the source via winXP
    > (where ultra works) and then run it under xandros and it said it was
    > installed.
    >
    > I have had a look around the forum but not quite found what I am looking
    > for. I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

    uname -a

    will tell you the kernel you are running.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, May 4, 2005
  6. lance broyden

    cowboyz Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message news:...
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:

    >>> Have you looked on the Xandros forums for the steps to make the kernel
    >>> source work properly?
    >>>
    >>> Xandros appear to have deliberately left some of the symlinks undone so
    >>> that newbies and inexperienced users would not be able to mess up their
    >>> systems by installing the kernel source and just
    >>> compiling......whatever.
    >>>
    >>> There is a set of 4-5 commands you need to enter as root in order to
    >>> properly prepare the source config files and set the right version
    >>> numbers.
    >>>
    >>> Once you have that wee list, it takes about 30 seconds to get it all
    >>> lined up to compile kernel-level stuff with the right versions....
    >>>
    >>> Check the Xandros user forums.

    >> How would I know if the kernel source is installed correctly. Xandros
    >> Netwrok says it is installed. /usr/src/linux/config-2.4.24-x1 is in the
    >> right place (I think)
    >>
    >> I didn't enter any commands but rather downloaded the source via winXP
    >> (where ultra works) and then run it under xandros and it said it was
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> I have had a look around the forum but not quite found what I am looking
    >> for. I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

    > uname -a
    >
    > will tell you the kernel you are running.
    >
    > Allistar.

    It reports back at 2.4.24.x1 So that seems ok.

    I'm going to start another thread. I have a novel to write.

    cowboyz, May 5, 2005
  7. lance broyden

    Enkidu Guest

    lance broyden wrote:
    > I have got xandros and I do like it. I spent some time last year working
    > with Mandrake and managed after a fair while to get the ihug Ultra working
    > with it but that was 2.4.19. THis is 2.4.24 and I tried to compile
    > another driver but keep getting this error..
    >
    > ./sm200d_lnx.o: kernel-module version mismatch
    > ./sm200d_lnx.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.19
    > while this kernel is version 2.4.24-x1
    >
    > I installed the kernel source to /usr/src/linux
    >
    > did the make install thing but I can't figure out how to get this file
    > compatible with 2.4.24.

    Assuming that you got the source for the module, did you do
    "make modules", "make install-modules"?

    Cheers.

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 5, 2005
  8. In article <d5a60n$m7n$>, lance broyden <>
    wrote:

    >./sm200d_lnx.o: kernel-module version mismatch
    > ./sm200d_lnx.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.19
    > while this kernel is version 2.4.24-x1

    That object file sm200d_lnx.o needs to be (re)compiled against your
    currently-installed kernel source. Is there some source file called
    sm200d_lnx.c, by any chance?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 5, 2005
  9. lance broyden

    steve Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > How would I know if the kernel source is installed correctly.  Xandros
    > Netwrok says it is installed.   /usr/src/linux/config-2.4.24-x1 is in the
    > right place (I think)

    If you have NOT entered the 4-5 commands I have referred to, your kernel
    source will NOT be usable.

    That's how you know. :)

    I'll see if I can find them.....I might have saved them away somewhere on
    this PC for future reference.

    steve, May 5, 2005
  10. lance broyden

    cowboyz Guest

    steve wrote:

    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> How would I know if the kernel source is installed correctly.  Xandros
    >> Netwrok says it is installed.   /usr/src/linux/config-2.4.24-x1 is in the
    >> right place (I think)

    > If you have NOT entered the 4-5 commands I have referred to, your kernel
    > source will NOT be usable.
    >
    > That's how you know. :)
    >
    > I'll see if I can find them.....I might have saved them away somewhere on
    > this PC for future reference.

    I have done this....

    Log in as Administrator (root).
    In Xandros Networks, install the kernel source package, which could be
    2.4.22 or 2.4.24. In Expert View, look under New Applications > base to
    find the kernel source package. For the following instructions, .24 is
    used.
    Click Launch > Applications > System > Console to open a console window.
    Type cd /usr/src in the console window and press Enter.
    Type tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.4.24.tar.bz2 and press Enter.
    Type ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.4.24 linux and press Enter.
    Type cd linux and press Enter.
    Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 mrproper and press Enter.
    Type cp /boot/config-2.4.24-x1 .config and press Enter.
    Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 oldconfig and press Enter.
    Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 dep and press Enter.
    Type cd /usr/src and press Enter.

    Alot of things went flying up the screen for a few minutes and I didn't see
    any errors so I think it worked.

    cowboyz, May 5, 2005
  11. lance broyden

    cowboyz Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <d5a60n$m7n$>, lance broyden <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>./sm200d_lnx.o: kernel-module version mismatch
    >> ./sm200d_lnx.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.19
    >> while this kernel is version 2.4.24-x1

    > That object file sm200d_lnx.o needs to be (re)compiled against your
    > currently-installed kernel source. Is there some source file called
    > sm200d_lnx.c, by any chance?

    No but there is one called sm2_drv.c

    If I delete the sm200d_lnx.o and type make into that directory then
    sm200d_lnx.o reappears but insmod still says wrong version.

    the makefile looks like this.

    CFLAGS = -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -c -DSM200D -O -I/usr/src/linux/include
    DRIVER_MODULE=sm200d_lnx.o
    INCLUDE_FILE=sm2_drv.h
    OBJS = sm2_drv.o sm2_bin.o

    INSTALLDIR = /usr/local/sm200d