Back from the front

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Karen Lofstrom, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. I took the Core test today. I had intended to take both but ...

    The Prometric website was broken (offered me only tests in foreign
    languages) so I had to call. I told the salesperson that I wanted tests
    on Friday the 31st. Righteo, she said, and unbeknownst to me, set me for
    tests on Friday the 24th. When I got to the test center this morning, I
    discovered the error. Much telephoning to Prometric, much bureaucratic
    stiffness from Prometric. I can't prove it was their error, I should have
    read the confirmation email more closely, my fault, vouchers goodbye.
    Finally they consented to let me take ONE test, but I would have to pay
    for the other test. AGAIN.

    So much for a mailbox full of spam. I was so busy shoveling out the
    penis-enlargement manure that I didn't look closely at the confirmation
    email.

    So I took the Core test and got a 900.

    It is possible to miss some questions and still get a 900. According to
    the printout I got, I missed at least 6 questions (in 6 areas) and
    possibly more. I had counted at least 16 questions on which I took my best
    guess, so the actual number missed is somewhere between 6 and 16.

    I had problems with:

    1) characteristics, including "packages", for current CPU types, Intel and AMD.
    2) SCSI types, speeds, cables, connectors.
    3) differences between various USB standards.

    I don't think I'm revealing too much here. You're going to memorize a LOT
    of stuff to be sure you've covered all those bases. The questions I found
    easy have already evaporated from my brain.

    It took me 45 minutes to do the Core test, which included obsessive
    checking and rechecking. I'm completely wrung out now and I'm going to
    take a nap.

    I used the Meyers book and software and made a 4 inch high stack of index
    cards for reviewing. Some of the stuff I learned in my courses was NOT in
    the Meyers book but was on the test.

    --
    Karen Lofstrom
    "All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of

    Karen Lofstrom, Oct 31, 2003