    How do I restore the function, it works OK in IE.
    thank you
    John Q.
    JohnQ, May 14, 2005

  2. JohnQ

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Where are you going to go back to? My Computer is the root directory.

    pcbutts1, May 14, 2005

  3. JohnQ

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yeah - he has to go forward before he can go back <g>

    Toolman Tim, May 14, 2005
  4. JohnQ

    JohnQ Guest

    Think about it Wise Guys:) If I go to My Computer I can access all
    directories from there and browse through files and other drives.
    John Q.

    JohnQ, May 14, 2005
  5. JohnQ

    Guest

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:07:08 +0000 (UTC), "JohnQ" <>
    wrote:

    |>Back Arrow has become greyed out in My Computer. I am using XP Pro with SP2.
    |>How do I restore the function, it works OK in IE.

    No clue, but a work around.

    Use WinKey+E next time you want to open My computer.

    If this doesn't work someone has set a group policy preventing this.

    --
    , May 14, 2005
  6. JohnQ

    JohnQ Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:07:08 +0000 (UTC), "JohnQ" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > |>Back Arrow has become greyed out in My Computer. I am using XP Pro with
    > SP2.
    > |>How do I restore the function, it works OK in IE.
    >
    > No clue, but a work around.
    >
    > Use WinKey+E next time you want to open My computer.

    It works OK that way. I can also navigate using Windows Explorer but for
    some reason I have always preferred to explore via My Computer.

    > If this doesn't work someone has set a group policy preventing this.

    I have not knowingly altered anything.
    John Q.
    JohnQ, May 14, 2005
  7. JohnQ

    Guest

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 18:28:25 +0000 (UTC), "JohnQ" <>
    wrote:

    |><> wrote in message

    |>> SP2.

    |>> No clue, but a work around.
    |>>
    |>> Use WinKey+E next time you want to open My computer.
    |>
    |>It works OK that way. I can also navigate using Windows Explorer but for
    |>some reason I have always preferred to explore via My Computer.

    |>> If this doesn't work someone has set a group policy preventing this.
    |>I have not knowingly altered anything.

    WinKey+E wouldn't of work'd if there were a policy set.

    Another work around; The duct tape approach...

    Create a new short-cut call it whatever ( "My NewComputer")
    Link it to explorer.exe, when done right click the icon, properties,
    in the target area copy and paste:
    EXPLORER.EXE /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

    Edit the /e in or out depending if you want a single or double pane
    window.

    Click on this instead of "my computer"

    --
    , May 14, 2005
  8. JohnQ

    JohnQ Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 14 May 2005 18:28:25 +0000 (UTC), "JohnQ" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > |><> wrote in message

    > with

    > |>It works OK that way. I can also navigate using Windows Explorer but for
    > |>some reason I have always preferred to explore via My Computer.

    > |>I have not knowingly altered anything.
    >
    > WinKey+E wouldn't of work'd if there were a policy set.
    >
    > Another work around; The duct tape approach...
    >
    > Create a new short-cut call it whatever ( "My NewComputer")
    > Link it to explorer.exe, when done right click the icon, properties,
    > in the target area copy and paste:
    > EXPLORER.EXE /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
    >
    > Edit the /e in or out depending if you want a single or double pane
    > window.
    >
    > Click on this instead of "my computer"
    >
    > --

    How do I link it to explorer.exe?
    John Q
    JohnQ, May 14, 2005
  9. JohnQ

    Guest

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 20:01:26 +0000 (UTC), "JohnQ" <>
    wrote:

    |>> Another work around; The duct tape approach...
    |>>
    |>> Create a new short-cut call it whatever ( "My NewComputer")
    |>> Link it to explorer.exe, when done right click the icon, properties,
    |>> in the target area copy and paste:
    |>> EXPLORER.EXE /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
    |>>
    |>> Edit the /e in or out depending if you want a single or double pane
    |>> window.
    |>>
    |>> Click on this instead of "my computer"
    |>>

    |>How do I link it to explorer.exe?

    Right click desktop, create new short-cut, follow the prompts.

    --
    , May 14, 2005
  10. JohnQ

    dadiOH Guest

    JohnQ wrote:
    > Think about it Wise Guys:) If I go to My Computer I can access all
    > directories from there and browse through files and other drives.
    > John Q.

    You still have to go forward to some folder/file before the back button
    becomes active.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, May 14, 2005
  11. JohnQ

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "dadiOH" <> wrote in message
    > JohnQ wrote:
    >> Think about it Wise Guys:) If I go to My Computer I can access all
    >> directories from there and browse through files and other drives.
    >> John Q.

    > You still have to go forward to some folder/file before the back button
    > becomes active.

    I think the word 'clueless' may apply. Or, at the very least, he did a poor
    job describing his problem...
    Toolman Tim, May 14, 2005
  12. JohnQ

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "JohnQ" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message

    >> SP2.
    >>
    >> No clue, but a work around.
    >>
    >> Use WinKey+E next time you want to open My computer.

    > It works OK that way. I can also navigate using Windows Explorer but for
    > some reason I have always preferred to explore via My Computer.

    Uh....see the button on the toolbar that says "Folders"? Click on that -
    voila! "My Computer". Oh - and click on it again, and wow! Now it's Windows
    Explorer. (They're the same thing, see...)
    Toolman Tim, May 14, 2005
  13. JohnQ

    Guest

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 13:33:39 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    |>"dadiOH" <> wrote in message

    |>> You still have to go forward to some folder/file before the back button
    |>> becomes active.

    |>I think the word 'clueless' may apply. Or, at the very least, he did a poor
    |>job describing his problem...

    I had to wait for his rebuttal to you to catch on :)

    --
    , May 14, 2005
  14. JohnQ

    JohnQ Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 14 May 2005 13:33:39 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > |>"dadiOH" <> wrote in message

    > button
    >
    > |>I think the word 'clueless' may apply. Or, at the very least, he did a
    > poor
    > |>job describing his problem...
    >
    > I had to wait for his rebuttal to you to catch on :)
    >

    > --

    This used to be a helpful NG. Now it seems to be a clique of timewasting
    posters. If you can't be helpful why read or answer posts?
    JohnQ.
    JohnQ, May 14, 2005
  15. JohnQ

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I am psychic and I could not read your mind. Next time be clear and precise
    when you ask a question smart ass.

    pcbutts1, May 15, 2005
  16. JohnQ

    JohnQ Guest

    Who would ever ask here again.
    JohnQ

    JohnQ, May 15, 2005
  17. JohnQ

    Guest

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 22:33:58 +0000 (UTC), "JohnQ" <>
    wrote:

    |><> wrote in message

    |>> button

    |>> poor

    |>> I had to wait for his rebuttal to you to catch on :)

    |>This used to be a helpful NG. Now it seems to be a clique of timewasting
    |>posters. If you can't be helpful why read or answer posts?
    |>JohnQ.

    Quote: Back Arrow has become greyed out in My Computer.

    It's exact'ly as mention'd, as far back as you can go, and your
    arguing the point, or at the least complaining you didn't get the
    proper respect for a clueless question. (which by the way you are
    getting)

    --
    , May 15, 2005
  18. JohnQ

    JohnQ Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 14 May 2005 22:33:58 +0000 (UTC), "JohnQ" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > |><> wrote in message

    > all

    > |>This used to be a helpful NG. Now it seems to be a clique of timewasting
    > |>posters. If you can't be helpful why read or answer posts?
    > |>JohnQ.
    >
    > Quote: Back Arrow has become greyed out in My Computer.
    >
    > It's exact'ly as mention'd, as far back as you can go, and your
    > arguing the point, or at the least complaining you didn't get the
    > proper respect for a clueless question. (which by the way you are
    > getting)
    >
    > --

    You were the only one being helpful.
    Should I also have mentioned that the
    forward arrow is also greyed out and that both arrows work from within My
    Computer on my old machine?
    JohnQ
    JohnQ, May 15, 2005
  19. JohnQ

    Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 00:42:33 +0000 (UTC), "JohnQ" <>
    wrote:

    |><> wrote in message

    |>> all

    |>> Quote: Back Arrow has become greyed out in My Computer.
    |>>
    |>> It's exact'ly as mention'd, as far back as you can go, and your
    |>> arguing the point, or at the least complaining you didn't get the
    |>> proper respect for a clueless question. (which by the way you are
    |>> getting)
    |>>
    |>> --
    |>You were the only one being helpful.

    You thread'd to my reply, felt I had to say something. :}

    |> Should I also have mentioned that the
    |>forward arrow is also greyed out and that both arrows work from within My
    |>Computer on my old machine?

    I've never mess'd with the arrows, I can't see where the forward arrow
    would ever work unless the directory one was in had one more directory
    within it (I can't get it to highlight).

    --
    , May 15, 2005
  20. JohnQ

    Cool Guy Guest

    JohnQ <> wrote:

    > Back Arrow has become greyed out in My Computer. I am using XP Pro with SP2.
    > How do I restore the function, it works OK in IE.

    Take a screenshot of it, upload it somewhere, and then link to it here.
    Cool Guy, May 15, 2005