    so it is not functioning now. How to kick it off the 'Programs and
    Features' of Win 7.

    TIA
    Loony, Aug 4, 2012

  2. Loony

    Paul Guest

    Loony wrote:
    > Hello Everywun :)
    >
    > Last night I downloaded an FLVPlayer and it had two smaller progs that
    > might be useful. I let it go and soon found that one of the progs was
    > that ghastly BabylonObjectInstaller.
    >
    > I was able to knock out some of the items related to that monster prog
    > so it is not functioning now. How to kick it off the 'Programs and
    > Features' of Win 7.
    >
    > TIA

    The first one here, seems unlikely.

    http://www.ehow.com/how_6603734_troubleshoot-babylon-won_t-uninstall.html

    This is for handling issues at the browser level, for Firefox.

    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/901118#answer-281976

    "Total luck here, but installing free programs Malwarebytes and Spywareblaster,
    running both scans, restarting system, Babylon had gone.

    It may or may not work for you. I think it was the settings in Spywareblaster
    that killed it, but I don't know for sure."

    Of those, Malwarebytes sounds OK. But may not fix it. I don't know about
    Spywareblaster.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malwarebytes

    (http://www.malwarebytes.org/)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpywareBlaster

    The description of SpywareBlaster, looks like a "closing the gate after
    the horse has bolted" type solution. There's no reason to think it would
    stop something already in place, but it may.

    You can try Programs and Features control panel first, and try and
    remove it. Next, work on the web browser(s) and their plugins/add-ons.

    Or, give Malwarebytes a try and see if it'll handle it.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 4, 2012

  3. Loony

    Loony Guest

    On 04/08/2012 15:00, Paul wrote:
    > Loony wrote:
    >> Hello Everywun :)
    >>
    >> Last night I downloaded an FLVPlayer and it had two smaller progs that
    >> might be useful. I let it go and soon found that one of the progs was
    >> that ghastly BabylonObjectInstaller.
    >>
    >> I was able to knock out some of the items related to that monster prog
    >> so it is not functioning now. How to kick it off the 'Programs and
    >> Features' of Win 7.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > The first one here, seems unlikely.
    >
    > http://www.ehow.com/how_6603734_troubleshoot-babylon-won_t-uninstall.html
    >
    > This is for handling issues at the browser level, for Firefox.
    >
    > http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/901118#answer-281976
    >
    > "Total luck here, but installing free programs Malwarebytes and
    > Spywareblaster,
    > running both scans, restarting system, Babylon had gone.
    >
    > It may or may not work for you. I think it was the settings in
    > Spywareblaster
    > that killed it, but I don't know for sure."
    >
    > Of those, Malwarebytes sounds OK. But may not fix it. I don't know about
    > Spywareblaster.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malwarebytes
    >
    > (http://www.malwarebytes.org/)
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpywareBlaster
    >
    > The description of SpywareBlaster, looks like a "closing the gate after
    > the horse has bolted" type solution. There's no reason to think it would
    > stop something already in place, but it may.
    >
    > You can try Programs and Features control panel first, and try and
    > remove it. Next, work on the web browser(s) and their plugins/add-ons.
    >
    > Or, give Malwarebytes a try and see if it'll handle it.
    >
    > Paul

    Thank you again Paul - Always there to help :)

    I have used the FLVPlayer for some years and I downloaded a higher
    version. It soon broke up and that Babylon piece of crap had wormed its
    way out and onto 'Programs and Features.' I tried to dump it and a small
    window popped open and it appeared to be trying to get rid of it. I
    waited about 5 minutes but it seemed to be stuck there.

    Is there no law to prevent these ghastly, time-wasting, pieces of crap?
    Will try your progs.
    Loony, Aug 5, 2012
  4. Loony

    Paul Guest

    Loony wrote:

    > Thank you again Paul - Always there to help :)
    >
    > I have used the FLVPlayer for some years and I downloaded a higher
    > version. It soon broke up and that Babylon piece of crap had wormed its
    > way out and onto 'Programs and Features.' I tried to dump it and a small
    > window popped open and it appeared to be trying to get rid of it. I
    > waited about 5 minutes but it seemed to be stuck there.
    >
    > Is there no law to prevent these ghastly, time-wasting, pieces of crap?
    > Will try your progs.

    A hint, is when a download offers a "stub" installer.

    I downloaded an Applian version of FLVPlayer, and it was only 300KB or so.

    http://c12184186.r86.cf2.rackcdn.com/installers/1291/P7Ufql6i/flvplayer.exe

    A scan on that using virustotal.com, had nine of forty two AV programs
    detect a problem. Not a bad problem, but that "adware" was involved.

    https://www.virustotal.com/file/840...3b77c220e5f1bfc2f04d91c123b698c40fc/analysis/

    The stub installer, then downloads a ton of other junk.

    If your AV was good, it's supposed to detect the crap as
    it comes into the computer.

    "Honest" software, downloads in one chunk, like a 20MB file.

    "Honest" software isn't packed with UPX, so you can burrow into
    it with 7ZIP or a hex editor, and look for signs of crapware.

    When the software attempts to hide things, that's a hint what
    is hiding and waiting for you later. UPX packing is used more
    often for mischief, as opposed to being used just to save
    download bytes. And stub installers aren't particularly a good
    sign.

    I judge software by its characteristics, before clicking the
    installer when it arrives. If it isn't very trustworthy looking,
    then I have to do a lot of extra work to find out what I've got.

    This is why I have "zero" toolbars so far. Never trust anyone.
    Especially the download sites that bundle their own crapware,
    on top of your download.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 5, 2012
  5. Loony

    Loony Guest

    On 05/08/2012 10:41, Paul wrote:
    > Loony wrote:
    >

    >> Thank you again Paul - Always there to help :)
    >>
    >> I have used the FLVPlayer for some years and I downloaded a higher
    >> version. It soon broke up and that Babylon piece of crap had wormed
    >> its way out and onto 'Programs and Features.' I tried to dump it and a
    >> small window popped open and it appeared to be trying to get rid of
    >> it. I waited about 5 minutes but it seemed to be stuck there.
    >>
    >> Is there no law to prevent these ghastly, time-wasting, pieces of crap?
    >> Will try your progs.

    Once more, I thank you Paul.

    I just tried to use Internet Explorer and here is what I got:
    http://mystart.incredibar.com/MB168?a=6OyH6Yxs6t

    It took over the whole page. I tried to use Chrome and the position did
    similar:

    http://search.babylon.com/?affID=11...HP_ss&mntrId=6a4c77d700000000000090fba692a73c

    These are my 2 main progs and I could not do much until I opened Apple's
    Safari. This was the only one - https://www.virustotal.com - that was
    not strangled. I am now so worn out that I need to take a break.

    I should have told you that I am paying McAffee to ptotect my computer
    but it seems to be incompetent, apart from mickey mouse situations. I
    have notified them that I am in trouble.

    > A hint, is when a download offers a "stub" installer.

    A "stub" meaning that there is a bunch of progs riding on it????

    > I downloaded an Applian version of FLVPlayer, and it was only 300KB or so.
    >
    > http://c12184186.r86.cf2.rackcdn.com/installers/1291/P7Ufql6i/flvplayer.exe
    >
    > A scan on that using virustotal.com, had nine of forty two AV programs
    > detect a problem. Not a bad problem, but that "adware" was involved.
    >
    > https://www.virustotal.com/file/840...3b77c220e5f1bfc2f04d91c123b698c40fc/analysis/

    AV is new to me unless it is Avira.

    > The stub installer, then downloads a ton of other junk.

    Understood now.

    > If your AV was good, it's supposed to detect the crap as
    > it comes into the computer.
    >
    > "Honest" software, downloads in one chunk, like a 20MB file.
    >
    > "Honest" software isn't packed with UPX, so you can burrow into
    > it with 7ZIP or a hex editor, and look for signs of crapware.
    >
    > When the software attempts to hide things, that's a hint what
    > is hiding and waiting for you later. UPX packing is used more
    > often for mischief, as opposed to being used just to save
    > download bytes. And stub installers aren't particularly a good
    > sign.

    The stub installers need their throats slit.

    > I judge software by its characteristics, before clicking the
    > installer when it arrives. If it isn't very trustworthy looking,
    > then I have to do a lot of extra work to find out what I've got.

    From now on, I will download only from extremely careful web sites.
    Can you suggest a few of the best ones for this situation? I rarely add
    new progs and, from now on, I will download much less.

    > This is why I have "zero" toolbars so far. Never trust anyone.
    > Especially the download sites that bundle their own crapware,
    > on top of your download.

    Would a new law not be able to strangle those scumbag rats?

    > Paul

    Thanks again :)
    Loony, Aug 5, 2012