  1. Guest

    Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?
    , Nov 5, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?

    Sure you can, you can do as good or better job than most photographers
    of the 40's, 50's did on their shops.
    They took a B/W, annotated some details, then colorized the picture
    using crayons or ink, pretty good job, but very labor intensive.
    PS, will cut little bit on the labor part, but still will be a long
    project, if you want a quality picture.
    Victor A. Garcia, Nov 5, 2006

  3. <> wrote:
    : Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?

    Yes and no, kinda. (I think I covered all the bases with that answer
    didn't I.) :)

    Yes you can convert the format from a grey tone image to a color image,
    but the image will still be one with only shades of grey. Since the grey
    scale image (B&W) does not have any color data in it, there is no color
    data to colorize the grey scale image. But you can use a paintbrush and
    the pallet of colors, to color the images. If you use the adjustment to
    keep the opacity of the color low you can paint over the grey image
    without covering up the black parts of the image. This whole process will
    be about as realistic as your talent will allow. But it is still more like
    "colorizing" in a childs coloring book. With lots of practice and lots of
    skill you might be able to make a very convincing color image, but for
    many of us the time spent to colorize a single image would tend to be very
    daunting.

    This problem is why many of us recommend that if you want to take a B&W
    image you may want to just go ahead and take it in color and then convert
    to grey scale in post production. This way you will have both the color
    version stored away for safety as well as the B&W version. I personally do
    not use the "color effects" in the camera for anything other than to
    examine what a changed version would look like without making the changes
    to the image itself. Besides, if I do the conversion in post I will also
    be in the right place to fine tune the conversion to adjust the contrast
    range to present the best possible grey scale image possible. The same
    goes for in camera effects as sepia and such.

    JMHO

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Nov 5, 2006
  4. Victor A. Garcia wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?
    >>

    > Sure you can, you can do as good or better job than most photographers
    > of the 40's, 50's did on their shops.
    > They took a B/W, annotated some details, then colorized the picture
    > using crayons or ink,

    Actually we used oil based products not ink or crayons.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Nov 5, 2006
  5. Skip Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > Victor A. Garcia wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?
    >>>

    >> Sure you can, you can do as good or better job than most photographers
    >> of the 40's, 50's did on their shops.
    >> They took a B/W, annotated some details, then colorized the picture
    >> using crayons or ink,

    > Actually we used oil based products not ink or crayons.

    Or pastel pencils. But oil paint was the best, still is.
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com/rememberhim.html
    I'm not sure somebody can do better than that in Pshop. But I'm biased,
    it's my wife's work.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip, Nov 5, 2006
  6. Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 11:08:47 +0000, Joseph Meehan wrote:

    > Victor A. Garcia wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?
    >>>

    >> Sure you can, you can do as good or better job than most photographers
    >> of the 40's, 50's did on their shops.
    >> They took a B/W, annotated some details, then colorized the picture
    >> using crayons or ink,

    > Actually we used oil based products not ink or crayons.
    >
    >> pretty good job, but very labor intensive.
    >> PS, will cut little bit on the labor part, but still will be a long
    >> project, if you want a quality picture.

    I used water soluble dyes most of the time but once I tried linseed oil
    and crayons but took about six months to dry.

    --
    Neil
    swap 'ra' and delete 'l' for email
    Neil Ellwood, Nov 5, 2006
  7. Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > Victor A. Garcia wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?
    >>>

    >> Sure you can, you can do as good or better job than most
    >> photographers of the 40's, 50's did on their shops.
    >> They took a B/W, annotated some details, then colorized the picture
    >> using crayons or ink,

    > Actually we used oil based products not ink or crayons.

    I finally remembered the name of the product "Marchall's Photo Colors"

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 5, 2006
  8. Skip Guest

    > Joseph Meehan wrote:
    >> Victor A. Garcia wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> Sure you can, you can do as good or better job than most
    >>> photographers of the 40's, 50's did on their shops.
    >>> They took a B/W, annotated some details, then colorized the picture
    >>> using crayons or ink,

    >> Actually we used oil based products not ink or crayons.

    > I finally remembered the name of the product "Marchall's Photo Colors"
    >

    >>> pretty good job, but very labor intensive.
    >>> PS, will cut little bit on the labor part, but still will be a long
    >>> project, if you want a quality picture.

    > --
    > Joseph Meehan
    >
    > Dia 's Muire duit

    Marshall's also produced colored pencils, but they weren't as good as the
    oils.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    Skip, Nov 5, 2006
  9. Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 11:08:47 +0000, Joseph Meehan wrote:
    >
    >> Victor A. Garcia wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> Sure you can, you can do as good or better job than most
    >>> photographers of the 40's, 50's did on their shops.
    >>> They took a B/W, annotated some details, then colorized the picture
    >>> using crayons or ink,

    >> Actually we used oil based products not ink or crayons.
    >>
    >>> pretty good job, but very labor intensive.
    >>> PS, will cut little bit on the labor part, but still will be a long
    >>> project, if you want a quality picture.

    > I used water soluble dyes most of the time but once I tried linseed
    > oil and crayons but took about six months to dry.

    I think the oils on the 60+ year old photo of my mother are still not
    "dry."

    Frankly I like the extra working time and the ease of blending of the
    oil based products.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Nov 5, 2006
  10. Skip wrote:
    > "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    >> Joseph Meehan wrote:

    >>> Actually we used oil based products not ink or crayons.

    >> I finally remembered the name of the product "Marchall's Photo Colors"

    >> --
    >> Joseph Meehan
    >>
    >> Dia 's Muire duit
    >>

    > Marshall's also produced colored pencils, but they weren't as good as the
    > oils.

    Probably that was the high-quality choice, not available on a rural
    environment, like the one I grew-up, of the 3 surviving ones on our
    family, 2 were crayon, the other ink+crayon.
    Never had seen one in oil, but most be a better medium, the ink on ours
    is smearing, and the colors are fading on the crayons.
    Victor A. Garcia, Nov 6, 2006
  11. wrote:
    > Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?

    A tip for colorizing B&W. Set the brush to a very high transparency
    (low opacity). The paints/dyes that others have mentioned were very
    transparent so that you SLOWLY built up the color by brushing it on
    repeatedly.

    Setting transparency high in a photo editor does the same thing. In
    fact, in most of the old hand tinted colorized photos, the color
    saturation ended up being very low- indeed "tinted" is a good word for
    the result. That low saturation is what gave them their characteristic
    look. So do not build up the color too much.

    BTW, if there is a person in the photo, I always load another, color
    photo of a person into the program while doing such tinting. That way
    I can select skin tones from the real color photo and use them as the
    color in the photo I am tinting.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Nov 6, 2006