B&W printing on Inkjet

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jeecee, Jan 28, 2008.

  1. jeecee

    jeecee Guest

    Hi all

    I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked
    at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll
    print mostly 11x14 so... any tips&

    Thanks
     
    jeecee, Jan 28, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. jeecee

    Paul Furman Guest

    jeecee wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked
    > at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll
    > print mostly 11x14 so... any tips&


    Borderless 13x19 is nice maybe a more common paper size. My R1800
    doesn't have those extra gray inks. I guess they work with both matte &
    gloss paper unlike the full black. I use Epson semigloss & Moab
    watercolor papers with great results. Have fun. 9 cartridges at $12 or
    more each is going to hurt though.
     
    Paul Furman, Jan 28, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. jeecee

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jan 28, 6:31 pm, jeecee <> wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked
    > at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll
    > print mostly 11x14 so... any tips&
    >
    > Thanks



    Epson's R2400 has a very good reputation for b&w. Most of the newer
    higher end printers 13 inches and above are designed to print b&w
    quite well. I'm finding printing with the file in RGB, so I can adjust
    tonality, and using the RGB profiles works quite well. But a good
    profile is necessary, in some cases a custom profile maybe what you
    need as all generic profiles are not created equal. Others swear by
    monochrome profiling, haven't tried that yet, but it seems you need
    your own high end profiling system. On several papers I can get
    excellent results, the ones I have the best profiles for, others are
    giving me some bronzing. This also tests how well your monitor is
    calibrated.
    Good luck
    Tom
     
    tomm42, Jan 29, 2008
    #3
  4. jeecee

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:31:56 -0500, jeecee wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked
    > at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll print
    > mostly 11x14 so... any tips&
    >
    > Thanks


    Feb. 2008 issue of Shutterbug - pg. 84 - "A New B&W Inkjet Option - Using
    an Epson R800 or R1800 with B&W 100 percent Carbon MIS Ink"
     
    ray, Jan 29, 2008
    #4
  5. jeecee

    Ray Paseur Guest

    I use the 2400 for both color and B&W and am very satisfied. It shares the
    inkset with my big printers. You might want to try Crane Silver Rag paper.
    Be sure to use the Crane profiles available at their web site. ~Ray

    jeecee <> wrote in news:280120081831566266%:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked
    > at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll
    > print mostly 11x14 so... any tips&
    >
    > Thanks
     
    Ray Paseur, Jan 30, 2008
    #5
  6. jeecee

    measekite Guest

    jeecee wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked
    > at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll
    > print mostly 11x14 so... any tips&
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    3800 and it costs less to operate.
     
    measekite, Feb 1, 2008
    #6
  7. jeecee

    measekite Guest

    ray wrote:

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:31:56 -0500, jeecee wrote:



    Hi all I really need some advices on buying a B&amp;W printer (Inkjet); I lookked at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll print mostly 11x14 so... any tips&amp; Thanks



    Feb. 2008 issue of Shutterbug - pg. 84 - "A New B&amp;W Inkjet Option - Using an Epson R800 or R1800 with B&amp;W 100 percent Carbon MIS Ink"


    You only want to use Epson ink in an Epson printer.
     
    measekite, Feb 1, 2008
    #7
  8. jeecee

    JimKramer Guest

    On Feb 1, 11:39 am, measekite <> wrote:
    > ray wrote:On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:31:56 -0500, jeecee wrote:Hi all I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll print mostly 11x14 so.... any tips& ThanksFeb. 2008 issue of Shutterbug - pg. 84 - "A New B&W Inkjet Option - Using an Epson R800 or R1800 with B&W 100 percent Carbon MIS Ink"
    > You only want to use Epson ink in an Epson printer.


    Why?
     
    JimKramer, Feb 1, 2008
    #8
  9. jeecee

    measekite Guest

    JimKramer wrote:

    On Feb 1, 11:39&nbsp;am, measekite &lt;&gt; wrote:



    ray wrote:On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:31:56 -0500, jeecee wrote:Hi all I really need some advices on buying a B&amp;W printer (Inkjet); I lookked at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll print mostly 11x14 so... any tips&amp; ThanksFeb. 2008 issue of Shutterbug - pg. 84 - "A New B&amp;W Inkjet Option - Using an Epson R800 or R1800 with B&amp;W 100 percent Carbon MIS Ink" You only want to use Epson ink in an Epson printer.



    Why?


    It is pigmented ink
    Epson ink is very superior for fade resistance
    Epson ink produces better quality and more color accurate prints.&nbsp; B/W does not have the color tint
    Epson ink reduces the risk of printhead clogging

    Other inks can ruin the printhead which is not replaceable.
     
    measekite, Feb 1, 2008
    #9
  10. jeecee

    JimKramer Guest

    On Feb 1, 6:19 pm, measekite <> wrote:
    > JimKramer wrote:On Feb 1, 11:39 am, measekite<>wrote:ray wrote:On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:31:56 -0500, jeecee wrote:Hi all I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll print mostly 11x14 so... any tips& ThanksFeb. 2008 issue of Shutterbug - pg. 84 - "A New B&W Inkjet Option - Using an Epson R800 or R1800 with B&W 100 percent Carbon MIS Ink" You only want to use Epson ink in an Epson printer.Why?


    > It is pigmented ink

    Most archival inks are.

    > Epson ink is very superior for fade resistance

    Based on?

    > Epson ink produces better quality and more color accurate prints.  B/W does not have the color tint

    Compared to? and that depends on the B&W color set you chose.

    > Epson ink reduces the risk of printhead clogging

    Not really.

    > Other inks can ruin the printhead which is not replaceable.

    If you want to spend enough it is replaceable, just generally not
    worth it vs. a new printer.

    MIS makes some very nice inks for both toned B&W and color printing.
    I killed an Epson 880 and two 1280's while using MIS inks, because the
    printers mechanically wore out, not because there was anything wrong
    with the print head.
     
    JimKramer, Feb 2, 2008
    #10
  11. jeecee

    Paul Furman Guest

    JimKramer wrote:
    > On Feb 1, 11:39 am, measekite <> wrote:
    >> You only want to use Epson ink in an Epson printer.

    >
    > Why?


    You're talking to a guy who's email is inkystinky Jim :) He's been
    making a stink about this issue in the printers group forever.


    > ...
    > I killed an Epson 880 and two 1280's while using MIS inks, because the
    > printers mechanically wore out, not because there was anything wrong
    > with the print head.
     
    Paul Furman, Feb 2, 2008
    #11
  12. jeecee

    JimKramer Guest

    On Feb 2, 2:59 pm, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > JimKramer wrote:
    > > On Feb 1, 11:39 am, measekite <> wrote:
    > >> You only want to use Epson ink in an Epson printer.

    >
    > > Why?

    >
    > You're talking to a guy who's email is inkystinky Jim :) He's been
    > making a stink about this issue in the printers group forever.
    >
    > > ...

    >
    >  > I killed an Epson 880 and two 1280's while using MIS inks, because the
    >
    >
    >
    > > printers mechanically wore out, not because there was anything wrong
    > > with the print head.- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    There are plenty of inks that will ruin a printer, you just need to be
    aware of the chemistry involved in the inkset before you do ruin the
    printer. :)
     
    JimKramer, Feb 2, 2008
    #12
  13. jeecee

    measekite Guest

    JimKramer wrote:

    On Feb 1, 6:19&nbsp;pm, measekite &lt;&gt; wrote:



    JimKramer wrote:On Feb 1, 11:39&nbsp;am, measekite&lt;&gt;wrote:ray wrote:On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:31:56 -0500, jeecee wrote:Hi all I really need some advices on buying a B&amp;W printer (Inkjet); I lookked at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll print mostly 11x14 so... any tips&amp; ThanksFeb. 2008 issue of Shutterbug - pg. 84 - "A New B&amp;W Inkjet Option - Using an Epson R800 or R1800 with B&amp;W 100 percent Carbon MIS Ink" You only want to use Epson ink in an Epson printer.Why?







    It is pigmented ink



    Most archival inks are.

    Most claim they are






    Epson ink is very superior for fade resistance



    Based on?

    Wilhelm and other reviewers






    Epson ink produces better quality and more color accurate prints.&nbsp; B/W does not have the color tint



    Compared to? and that depends on the B&amp;W color set you chose.



    Epson ink reduces the risk of printhead clogging



    Not really.

    Absolutely






    Other inks can ruin the printhead which is not replaceable.



    If you want to spend enough it is replaceable, just generally not worth it vs. a new printer.

    That makes it not replaceable.&nbsp; With that logic you never will need a new car.&nbsp; You can replace every single part in your car and if parts are not available you can get a design company to make one to order for under $100,000 or you can say it is not replaceable and get a new one.


    MIS makes some very nice inks for both toned B&amp;W and color printing. I killed an Epson 880 and two 1280's while using MIS inks, because the printers mechanically wore out, not because there was anything wrong with the print head.

    Like I said if you wanted to settle for lower quality then what you could normally get then that is your prerogative.&nbsp; Those Epson printers are based on dye ink.&nbsp;
     
    measekite, Feb 3, 2008
    #13
  14. jeecee

    JimKramer Guest

    On Feb 2, 8:19 pm, measekite <> wrote:
    > JimKramer wrote:On Feb 1, 6:19 pm, measekite<>wrote:JimKramer wrote:On Feb 1, 11:39 am, measekite<>wrote:ray wrote:On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:31:56 -0500, jeecee wrote:Hi all I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll print mostly 11x14 so... any tips& ThanksFeb. 2008 issue of Shutterbug - pg. 84 - "A New B&W Inkjet Option - Using an Epson R800 or R1800 with B&W 100 percent Carbon MIS Ink" You only want to use Epson ink in an Epson printer.Why?It is pigmented inkMost archival inks are.Most claim they areEpson ink is very superior for fade resistanceBased on?Wilhelm and other reviewersEpson ink produces better quality and more color accurate prints. B/W does not have the color tintCompared to? and that depends on the B&W color set you chose.Epson ink reduces the risk of printhead cloggingNot really.AbsolutelyOther inks can ruin the printhead which is not replaceable.If you want to spend enough it is replaceable, just generally not worth it vs. a new printer.That makes it not replaceable. With that logic you never will need a new car. You can replace every single part in your car and if parts are not available you can get a design company to make one to order for under $100,000 or you can say it is not replaceable and get a new one.MIS makes some very nice inks for both toned B&W and color printing. I killed an Epson 880 and two 1280's while using MIS inks, because the printers mechanically wore out, not because there was anything wrong with the print head.Like I said if you wanted to settle for lower quality then what you could normally get then that is your prerogative. Those Epson printers are based on dye ink.


    Those Epson printers based on dye ink worked just fine with the
    pigment ink supplied by MIS. So you your point would be invalid as I
    got better results with the non-manufacturer ink than I could have
    gotten with the manufacturer's ink.
     
    JimKramer, Feb 3, 2008
    #14
  15. jeecee

    measekite Guest

    JimKramer wrote:

    On Feb 2, 8:19 pm, measekite &lt;&gt; wrote:



    JimKramer wrote:On Feb 1, 6:19 pm, measekite&lt;&gt;wrote:JimKramer wrote:On Feb 1, 11:39 am, measekite&lt;&gt;wrote:ray wrote:On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:31:56 -0500, jeecee wrote:Hi all I really need some advices on buying a B&amp;W printer (Inkjet); I lookked at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll print mostly 11x14 so... any tips&amp; ThanksFeb. 2008 issue of Shutterbug - pg. 84 - "A New B&amp;W Inkjet Option - Using an Epson R800 or R1800 with B&amp;W 100 percent Carbon MIS Ink" You only want to use Epson ink in an Epson printer.Why?It is pigmented inkMost archival inks are.Most claim they areEpson ink is very superior for fade resistanceBased on?Wilhelm and other reviewersEpson ink produces better quality and more color accurate prints. B/W does not have th e color tintCompared to? and that depends on the B&amp;W color set you chose.Epson ink reduces the risk of printhead cloggingNot really.AbsolutelyOther inks can ruin the printhead which is not replaceable.If you want to spend enough it is replaceable, just generally not worth it vs. a new printer.That makes it not replaceable. With that logic you never will need a new car. You can replace every single part in your car and if parts are not available you can get a design company to make one to order for under $100,000 or you can say it is not replaceable and get a new one.MIS makes some very nice inks for both toned B&amp;W and color printing. I killed an Epson 880 and two 1280's while using MIS inks, because the printers mechanically wore out, not because there was anything wrong with the print head.Like I said if you wanted to settle for lower quality then what you could normally get then that is your prerogative. Those Epson printers are based on dye ink.



    Those Epson printers based on dye ink worked just fine with the pigment ink supplied by MIS. So you your point would be invalid as I got better results with the non-manufacturer ink than I could have gotten with the manufacturer's ink.


    You need to have a discerning eye to appreciate the difference in quality.&nbsp; It is just like eating fatty foods and saying you have no problems until you have a heart attack from clogged arteries.
     
    measekite, Feb 4, 2008
    #15
  16. jeecee

    jeecee Guest

    In article <RY3pj.1558$>, Paul
    Furman <> wrote:

    > JimKramer wrote:
    > > On Feb 1, 11:39 am, measekite <> wrote:
    > >> You only want to use Epson ink in an Epson printer.

    > >
    > > Why?

    >
    > You're talking to a guy who's email is inkystinky Jim :) He's been
    > making a stink about this issue in the printers group forever.
    >
    >
    > > ...
    > > I killed an Epson 880 and two 1280's while using MIS inks, because the
    > > printers mechanically wore out, not because there was anything wrong
    > > with the print head.

    Aside from the ink battle, I would be happy with the Epson brand, I'll
    look closely at the 3800 and 2400 specs (and thanks for the paper
    tips).

    Since I want the same result and control that I had in the darkroom, I
    think I'll find one or two people using the printers and see for myself
    the results.

    Thanks for the tips and advice
     
    jeecee, Feb 11, 2008
    #16
  17. jeecee

    measekite Guest

    jeecee wrote:

    In article &lt;RY3pj.1558$&gt;, Paul Furman &lt;&gt; wrote:



    JimKramer wrote:



    On Feb 1, 11:39 am, measekite &lt;&gt; wrote:



    You only want to use Epson ink in an Epson printer.



    Why?



    You're talking to a guy who's email is inkystinky Jim :) He's been making a stink about this issue in the printers group forever.



    ...



    &gt; I killed an Epson 880 and two 1280's while using MIS inks, because the



    printers mechanically wore out, not because there was anything wrong with the print head.



    Aside from the ink battle, I would be happy with the Epson brand, I'll look closely at the 3800 and 2400 specs (and thanks for the paper tips).

    The Epson 3800 seats 9 carts and has 8 ink channels and is cheaper when switching the blacks.&nbsp; But the 2400 only seats 8 carts so you have to physically switch the carts and it costs a lot of wasted ink to do it.

    If you co not want to spend $1500 then look at the two Canon printers.&nbsp; Canon Pro9000 dye based or the more expensive Canon Pro9500 pigment based.&nbsp; I hear that the Pro9500&nbsp; produces a less vibrant print but lasts longer.&nbsp; The Pro9000 produces a better glossy.&nbsp; One really needs to see the results on a variety of prints and that is difficult unless you know a few people that have these printers.


    Since I want the same result and control that I had in the darkroom, I think I'll find one or two people using the printers and see for myself the results. Thanks for the tips and advice
     
    measekite, Feb 12, 2008
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. elie
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    976
  2. elie
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    896
  3. elie
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    937
  4. elie
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    967
  5. elie
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    790
    shelleyleena
    Nov 27, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page