    colour even though they display in B&W.

    Is there any way of changing these to display as colour images?

    Thanks.

    Mark, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Mark

    John Bean Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:12:16 +0100, Mark <>
    wrote:
    >A friend has a samsung digimax a4 and has managed to set it to take
    >black and white images. He would like these to be in colour.
    >
    >I have loaded these into Photoshop Elements and the images show as RGB
    >colour even though they display in B&W.
    >
    >Is there any way of changing these to display as colour images?

    I'm afraid not, the colour information is no longer there.

    You can convert colour to B&W because this just "throws
    away" the extra information - the colour - but you can't
    convert the other way.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Mark

    Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Can anyone help with this?

    Nope. (O:

    > A friend has a samsung digimax a4 and has managed to set it to take
    > black and white images. He would like these to be in colour.
    >
    > Is there any way of changing these to display as colour images?

    Sadly, had your friend done a bit of research about shooting b&w
    digital he would have learnt:

    1. Once you have converted a color image to b&w and not kept the
    original colour information (which is what the camera almost certainly
    has done by hime telling ti to shoot in monochrome), the only way to
    get the colour back is to either re-shoot the image, or hand paint
    it...

    2. Digital colour images can be easily converted to black and white by
    a number of means, the quickest being 'desaturation'. There is,
    therefore, no good reason in 99.9% of cases to *ever* take a b&w image
    on a colour digital camera.

    3. To rub it in further.. (O;, by shooting in colour, you have in fact
    effectively captured three images in b&w - each one as if it was
    through a Red, Green, and Blue filter respectively. You can then, with
    post-processing on a computer, use any combination of those images to
    create a b&w masterpiece (image not withstanding..) And anyone who
    shoots b&w will know that red and green filters in particular are very
    helpful things!

    Sorry, but them's the breaks..

    , Jul 24, 2006
  4. Mark

    Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Can anyone help with this?
    >
    > A friend has a samsung digimax a4 and has managed to set it to take
    > black and white images. He would like these to be in colour.
    >
    > I have loaded these into Photoshop Elements and the images show as RGB
    > colour even though they display in B&W.
    >
    > Is there any way of changing these to display as colour images?
    >
    > Thanks.

    One of the most important lessons to learn in digital photography is
    NEVER save an edited image with the same file name as original, i.e.,
    overwrite the original. Always save edited image to a new file name.
    Save the original and make derivatives of that, but always with new
    file name.

    , Jul 24, 2006
  5. "John Bean" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:12:16 +0100, Mark <>
    > wrote:
    >>A friend has a samsung digimax a4 and has managed to set it to take
    >>black and white images. He would like these to be in colour.
    >>
    >>I have loaded these into Photoshop Elements and the images show as RGB
    >>colour even though they display in B&W.
    >>
    >>Is there any way of changing these to display as colour images?

    > I'm afraid not, the colour information is no longer there.
    >
    > You can convert colour to B&W because this just "throws
    > away" the extra information - the colour - but you can't
    > convert the other way.

    Unless your camera saves RAW files when it actually appears to make no
    difference!

    I have an EOS 20D and took some B&W (using the camera setting) pictures.
    They appeared in B&W on the back of the camera, but appeared in colour using
    the Canon software on the computer unless I saved them as B&W in some other
    format, e.g. TIFF or jpeg!

    Andrew

    Andrew Virnuls, Jul 24, 2006
  6. Mark

    JR Guest

    In article <>,
    Mark <> wrote:

    > Can anyone help with this?
    >
    > A friend has a samsung digimax a4 and has managed to set it to take
    > black and white images. He would like these to be in colour.
    >
    > I have loaded these into Photoshop Elements and the images show as RGB
    > colour even though they display in B&W.
    >
    > Is there any way of changing these to display as colour images?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes you can EASILY get them back IF and only IF he shot then in RAW
    format. If he shot in jpeg, then no, the images were converted to jpg
    in the camera and the jpg file only has monochrome info....If he shot
    RAW, then load the RAW file and in color mode change from B&W to RGB and
    bam, your color is back.

    JR

    JR, Jul 24, 2006
  7. Mark

    Guest

    JR wrote:
    > Yes you can EASILY get them back IF and only IF he shot then in RAW
    > format.

    T'was a good suggestion, JR, but I'm pretty sure this camera does JPG
    only. It's a 4 Mp p&s.

    Are you going to come back and comment, Mark?

    , Jul 28, 2006