    shoot just b&w photos and have them stored as 12MP, etc.

    --
    "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."
    Beowulf, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Beowulf

    dwight Guest

    "Beowulf" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > I was thinking, it takes more memory to store color compared to just b&w,
    > so isn't it possible to have a digital camera (that exists or could be
    > created) that takes only b&w photo data and no color, and hence create
    > images with a greater megapixel resolution than if that same camera were
    > to take color photos? It would be really nice to have say a 6MP camera and
    > shoot just b&w photos and have them stored as 12MP, etc.

    You got me curious, so I took a test shot in both color and BW. The color
    came out at 1166KB, the BW at 901KB. Not much of a savings in storage space.

    For that small a difference, I'd rather shoot in color and convert to
    greyscale in Photoshop, when needed.

    I can only suggest that you buy a 12MP camera (prices will keep coming
    down - in a couple of years, we'll all have them) with BW capability.

    dwight
    Canon S1 IS shooting at 2048 X 1536
    dwight, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Beowulf

    Terence Gui Guest

    "Beowulf" <> wrote in message
    > I was thinking, it takes more memory to store color compared to just b&w,
    > so isn't it possible to have a digital camera (that exists or could be
    > created) that takes only b&w photo data and no color, and hence create
    > images with a greater megapixel resolution than if that same camera were
    > to take color photos? It would be really nice to have say a 6MP camera and
    > shoot just b&w photos and have them stored as 12MP, etc.

    This doesn't sound quite possible to me. The sensor resolution of a digital
    camera is fixed i.e. A 6mp CCD can only take a maximum 6mp resolution image
    (various upsampling/interpolation techniques excluded), since that is the
    number of sensors that's physically on the CCD chip.

    The amount of space the resulting image takes up on a memory card is an
    entirely different issue.

    ---
    Terence Gui, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:48:11 -0400, dwight wrote:
    > You got me curious, so I took a test shot in both color and BW. The color
    > came out at 1166KB, the BW at 901KB. Not much of a savings in storage space.

    But what was the resolution of the color compared to the bw-- the slightly
    larger file size of the color might have been from storage of color info,
    my hope would be that the BW image, though about the same KB storage,
    might have a higher resolution. Or maybe the KB says it all and it is a
    moot point?

    --
    "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."
    Beowulf, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:48:11 -0400, dwight wrote:
    > I can only suggest that you buy a 12MP camera (prices will keep coming
    > down - in a couple of years, we'll all have them) with BW capability.

    yes i am going to start the dreaming stage, check prices, maybe next
    summer get a 12MP camera -- sweet! Even better, if Santa is buying, could
    be a digital medium format!!!

    --
    "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."
    Beowulf, Jul 28, 2004
  6. Beowulf

    Martin Brown Guest

    In message <>, Beowulf
    <> writes
    >On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:48:11 -0400, dwight wrote:
    >..
    >> You got me curious, so I took a test shot in both color and BW. The color
    >> came out at 1166KB, the BW at 901KB. Not much of a savings in storage space.

    >..

    I'd have expected a bit better saving than that. What does JPEGDUMP say
    about its structure? Does it have 1 channel of data or 3 ?

    >But what was the resolution of the color compared to the bw-- the slightly
    >larger file size of the color might have been from storage of color info,
    >my hope would be that the BW image, though about the same KB storage,
    >might have a higher resolution.

    The physical sensor is the same in both cases. The JPEG image storage
    format is typically monochrome intensity and two subsampled chroma
    channels abbreviated YCC. If you ask for a monochrome image the camera
    simply throws away the data in the two chroma channels or sets it to
    zero.

    > Or maybe the KB says it all and it is a
    >moot point?

    You cannot get something for nothing. The only thing you do gain is some
    extra space - more monochrome images can be recorded.

    Regards,
    --
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Jul 29, 2004
  7. Beowulf

    dwight Guest

    "Beowulf" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:48:11 -0400, dwight wrote:
    > ..
    > > You got me curious, so I took a test shot in both color and BW. The

    color
    > > came out at 1166KB, the BW at 901KB. Not much of a savings in storage

    space.
    > ..
    >
    > But what was the resolution of the color compared to the bw-- the slightly
    > larger file size of the color might have been from storage of color info,
    > my hope would be that the BW image, though about the same KB storage,
    > might have a higher resolution. Or maybe the KB says it all and it is a
    > moot point?

    Sorry - the camera uses 72dpi for both, both at 2048 X 1536 (3mp). Same
    shot, taken seconds apart, so the difference in file size has to be the
    color info.

    dwight
    dwight, Jul 29, 2004