    Rich Guest

    Or is the data rate simply too high for the processing capability in
    the machines or is any minute spec of dust too big to be ignored?

    Rich, Jun 22, 2006

  2. Rich

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On 21 Jun 2006 18:41:03 -0700, "Rich" <> Gave us:

    >Or is the data rate simply too high for the processing capability in
    >the machines or is any minute spec of dust too big to be ignored?

    You do not know much about data streams.

    There is SOOoooooo much FEC on these tracks that a huge gouge would
    likely not cause a drop out.

    So it ain't about the data stream. It COULD be about the machine's
    capacity to handle said stream upon arrival.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 22, 2006

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Re: b-r and hd; Will any machine play without glitches?

    Roy L. Fuchs wrote:
    > On 21 Jun 2006 18:41:03 -0700, "Rich" <> Gave us:
    >
    > >Or is the data rate simply too high for the processing capability in
    > >the machines or is any minute spec of dust too big to be ignored?

    > You do not know much about data streams.
    >
    > There is SOOoooooo much FEC on these tracks that a huge gouge would
    > likely not cause a drop out.
    >
    > So it ain't about the data stream. It COULD be about the machine's
    > capacity to handle said stream upon arrival.

    Worse yet. You won't even be able to play a good disk. Friend of mine
    watched the Toshiba $500 model for 15 minutes. Two distinct glitches.

    Rich, Jun 22, 2006
  4. Re: b-r and hd; Will any machine play without glitches?

    On 22 Jun 2006 15:05:22 -0700, "Rich" <> wrote:

    >Roy L. Fuchs wrote:
    >> On 21 Jun 2006 18:41:03 -0700, "Rich" <> Gave us:
    >>
    >> >Or is the data rate simply too high for the processing capability in
    >> >the machines or is any minute spec of dust too big to be ignored?

    >> You do not know much about data streams.
    >>
    >> There is SOOoooooo much FEC on these tracks that a huge gouge would
    >> likely not cause a drop out.
    >>
    >> So it ain't about the data stream. It COULD be about the machine's
    >> capacity to handle said stream upon arrival.

    >Worse yet. You won't even be able to play a good disk. Friend of mine
    >watched the Toshiba $500 model for 15 minutes. Two distinct glitches.

    Had he done the firmware upgrade? It seems that the upgrade has nearly
    if not completly settled the issue of glitches in the Toshiba
    machines.

    grant kinsley, Jun 23, 2006
  5. Rich

    grant kinsley wrote:
    > On 22 Jun 2006 15:05:22 -0700, "Rich" <> wrote:
    >

    > >Roy L. Fuchs wrote:
    > >> On 21 Jun 2006 18:41:03 -0700, "Rich" <> Gave us:

    > >> You do not know much about data streams.
    > >>
    > >> There is SOOoooooo much FEC on these tracks that a huge gouge would
    > >> likely not cause a drop out.
    > >>
    > >> So it ain't about the data stream. It COULD be about the machine's
    > >> capacity to handle said stream upon arrival.

    > >Worse yet. You won't even be able to play a good disk. Friend of mine
    > >watched the Toshiba $500 model for 15 minutes. Two distinct glitches.

    > Had he done the firmware upgrade? It seems that the upgrade has nearly
    > if not completly settled the issue of glitches in the Toshiba
    > machines.

    No, he saw this in a store, so I don't know if the machine had been
    upgraded.
    But it's decent news.

    Rich, Jun 23, 2006