    $20.00. They were sued over this a while back. In any case, it's
    clear B&H who obviously enjoy shipping discounts are padding shipping
    HUGELY.

    RichA, Dec 10, 2010

  2. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Dec 10, 6:51 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2010-12-10 15:35:35 -0800, RichA <> said:
    >
    > > A lens in a box, weighing no more than 1/2 lb.  International Priority
    > > mail.  No tracking number.  7-10 day delivery:  $35.00.  I shipped a
    > > lens out the same way from Canada to California and it cost $9.74 and
    > > Can. mailing costs are higher than U.S.  Their only reasonable option
    > > from them is Purolator Ground at $9.72.  However, Puro ground means
    > > that on my end they charge a "border brokerage" fee which is often
    > > $20.00.  They were sued over this a while back.  In any case, it's
    > > clear B&H who obviously enjoy shipping discounts are padding shipping
    > > HUGELY.

    > Haven't we been over this B&H shipping ground before?
    >
    > You might check on a NAPP membership B&H offers NAPP members free
    > shipping. I am just not sure if that offer extends to our Canadian
    > neighbors. Inquire, there might be a benefit there you could use.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    Thanks, couldn't find any reference to shipping discounts linked to
    it, but I saw lighting equipment and books on Photoshop.

    RichA, Dec 11, 2010

  3. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:35:35 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >A lens in a box, weighing no more than 1/2 lb. International Priority
    >mail. No tracking number. 7-10 day delivery: $35.00. I shipped a
    >lens out the same way from Canada to California and it cost $9.74 and
    >Can. mailing costs are higher than U.S. Their only reasonable option
    >from them is Purolator Ground at $9.72. However, Puro ground means
    >that on my end they charge a "border brokerage" fee which is often
    >$20.00. They were sued over this a while back. In any case, it's
    >clear B&H who obviously enjoy shipping discounts are padding shipping
    >HUGELY.

    If the shipping costs were unknown to you and slapped on to a invoice
    without your permission, then I'd have some sympathy. However, if you
    had opportunity to know the charges, and you still placed the order,
    you have no basis of complaint.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 11, 2010
  4. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:35:35 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    : A lens in a box, weighing no more than 1/2 lb. International Priority
    : mail. No tracking number. 7-10 day delivery: $35.00. I shipped a
    : lens out the same way from Canada to California and it cost $9.74 and
    : Can. mailing costs are higher than U.S. Their only reasonable option
    : from them is Purolator Ground at $9.72. However, Puro ground means
    : that on my end they charge a "border brokerage" fee which is often
    : $20.00. They were sued over this a while back. In any case, it's
    : clear B&H who obviously enjoy shipping discounts are padding shipping
    : HUGELY.

    That's odd. My observation is that more and more often these days, B&H offers
    FREE SHIPPING (within the U.S.?) on items I buy from them. <cackle!>

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 11, 2010
  5. RichA

    otter Guest

    On Dec 11, 9:16 am, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:35:35 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > : A lens in a box, weighing no more than 1/2 lb.  International Priority
    > : mail.  No tracking number.  7-10 day delivery:  $35.00.  I shipped a
    > : lens out the same way from Canada to California and it cost $9.74 and
    > : Can. mailing costs are higher than U.S.  Their only reasonable option
    > : from them is Purolator Ground at $9.72.  However, Puro ground means
    > : that on my end they charge a "border brokerage" fee which is often
    > : $20.00.  They were sued over this a while back.  In any case, it's
    > : clear B&H who obviously enjoy shipping discounts are padding shipping
    > : HUGELY.
    >
    > That's odd. My observation is that more and more often these days, B&H offers
    > FREE SHIPPING (within the U.S.?) on items I buy from them.  <cackle!>
    >
    > Bob

    We get the Canadians to subsidize our mail for us. Makes up for the
    health care.

    otter, Dec 11, 2010
  6. RichA

    philo Guest

    Re: B&H's obscene shipping prices often wipe out savings for int.buyers

    On 12/10/2010 05:35 PM, RichA wrote:
    > A lens in a box, weighing no more than 1/2 lb. International Priority
    > mail. No tracking number. 7-10 day delivery: $35.00. I shipped a
    > lens out the same way from Canada to California and it cost $9.74 and
    > Can. mailing costs are higher than U.S. Their only reasonable option
    > from them is Purolator Ground at $9.72. However, Puro ground means
    > that on my end they charge a "border brokerage" fee which is often
    > $20.00. They were sued over this a while back. In any case, it's
    > clear B&H who obviously enjoy shipping discounts are padding shipping
    > HUGELY.

    Well
    no one forces you to buy from them.

    A few weeks back I decided to skip the middleman and get a video capture
    card that goes for about $50 or so in the US.

    To my utter disbelief I purchased one in China for $3 (new)
    the shipping was $5

    So even though I saved a lot of money... the postage was more than the
    item itself.

    FWIW: It shipped 4th class and took about two weeks to get here

    philo, Dec 11, 2010
  7. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 09:55:18 -0600, philo <> wrote:
    : On 12/10/2010 05:35 PM, RichA wrote:
    : > A lens in a box, weighing no more than 1/2 lb. International Priority
    : > mail. No tracking number. 7-10 day delivery: $35.00. I shipped a
    : > lens out the same way from Canada to California and it cost $9.74 and
    : > Can. mailing costs are higher than U.S. Their only reasonable option
    : > from them is Purolator Ground at $9.72. However, Puro ground means
    : > that on my end they charge a "border brokerage" fee which is often
    : > $20.00. They were sued over this a while back. In any case, it's
    : > clear B&H who obviously enjoy shipping discounts are padding shipping
    : > HUGELY.
    :
    :
    : Well
    : no one forces you to buy from them.
    :
    : A few weeks back I decided to skip the middleman and get a video capture
    : card that goes for about $50 or so in the US.
    :
    : To my utter disbelief I purchased one in China for $3 (new)
    : the shipping was $5
    :
    :
    :
    : So even though I saved a lot of money... the postage was more than the
    : item itself.
    :
    : FWIW: It shipped 4th class and took about two weeks to get here

    It's not unusual for me to place an order with B&H around mid-day and take
    delivery (in the Boston suburbs) the next day.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 11, 2010
  8. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Dec 10, 9:31 pm, Allen <> wrote:
    > On 12/10/2010 6:26 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:35:35 -0800 (PST), RichA<>
    > > wrote:

    > >> A lens in a box, weighing no more than 1/2 lb.  International Priority
    > >> mail.  No tracking number.  7-10 day delivery:  $35.00.  I shipped a
    > >> lens out the same way from Canada to California and it cost $9.74 and
    > >> Can. mailing costs are higher than U.S.  Their only reasonable option
    > >>from them is Purolator Ground at $9.72.  However, Puro ground means
    > >> that on my end they charge a "border brokerage" fee which is often
    > >> $20.00.  They were sued over this a while back.  In any case, it's
    > >> clear B&H who obviously enjoy shipping discounts are padding shipping
    > >> HUGELY.

    > > If the shipping costs were unknown to you and slapped on to a invoice
    > > without your permission, then I'd have some sympathy.  However, if you
    > > had opportunity to know the charges, and you still placed the order,
    > > you have no basis of complaint.

    > I wonder how much RichA pays his mailroom staff? And is the space they
    > take up free?

    Gee, I supposed you get an itemization for lighting and heating on
    your bills for lenses?

    RichA, Dec 11, 2010
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Dec 11, 11:05 am, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 09:55:18 -0600, philo <> wrote:
    >
    > : On 12/10/2010 05:35 PM, RichA wrote:
    > : > A lens in a box, weighing no more than 1/2 lb.  International Priority
    > : > mail.  No tracking number.  7-10 day delivery:  $35.00.  I shipped a
    > : > lens out the same way from Canada to California and it cost $9.74 and
    > : > Can. mailing costs are higher than U.S.  Their only reasonable option
    > : > from them is Purolator Ground at $9.72.  However, Puro ground means
    > : > that on my end they charge a "border brokerage" fee which is often
    > : > $20.00.  They were sued over this a while back.  In any case, it's
    > : > clear B&H who obviously enjoy shipping discounts are padding shipping
    > : > HUGELY.
    > :
    > :
    > : Well
    > : no one forces you to buy from them.
    > :
    > : A few weeks back I decided to skip the middleman and get a video capture
    > : card that goes for about $50 or so in the US.
    > :
    > : To my utter disbelief I purchased one in China for $3  (new)
    > : the shipping was $5
    > :
    > :
    > :
    > : So even though I saved a lot of money... the postage was more than the
    > : item itself.
    > :
    > : FWIW: It shipped 4th class and took about two weeks to get here
    >
    > It's not unusual for me to place an order with B&H around mid-day and take
    > delivery (in the Boston suburbs) the next day.
    >
    > Bob

    America-America, not America to elsewhere. You want delivery like
    that to Canada, it will cost (from B&H) at least $60.00. For a one
    ounce item...

    RichA, Dec 11, 2010
  10. RichA

    peter Guest

    On 12/11/2010 12:25 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On Dec 11, 11:05 am, Robert Coe<> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 09:55:18 -0600, philo<> wrote:
    >>
    >> : On 12/10/2010 05:35 PM, RichA wrote:
    >> :> A lens in a box, weighing no more than 1/2 lb. International Priority
    >> :> mail. No tracking number. 7-10 day delivery: $35.00. I shipped a
    >> :> lens out the same way from Canada to California and it cost $9.74 and
    >> :> Can. mailing costs are higher than U.S. Their only reasonable option
    >> :> from them is Purolator Ground at $9.72. However, Puro ground means
    >> :> that on my end they charge a "border brokerage" fee which is often
    >> :> $20.00. They were sued over this a while back. In any case, it's
    >> :> clear B&H who obviously enjoy shipping discounts are padding shipping
    >> :> HUGELY.
    >> :
    >> :
    >> : Well
    >> : no one forces you to buy from them.
    >> :
    >> : A few weeks back I decided to skip the middleman and get a video capture
    >> : card that goes for about $50 or so in the US.
    >> :
    >> : To my utter disbelief I purchased one in China for $3 (new)
    >> : the shipping was $5
    >> :
    >> :
    >> :
    >> : So even though I saved a lot of money... the postage was more than the
    >> : item itself.
    >> :
    >> : FWIW: It shipped 4th class and took about two weeks to get here
    >>
    >> It's not unusual for me to place an order with B&H around mid-day and take
    >> delivery (in the Boston suburbs) the next day.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > America-America, not America to elsewhere. You want delivery like
    > that to Canada, it will cost (from B&H) at least $60.00. For a one
    > ounce item...

    I strongly suspect that the "A" in your name is a acronym for asshole

    --
    Peter

    peter, Dec 11, 2010
  11. RichA

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 09:55:18 -0600, philo <> wrote:

    >On 12/10/2010 05:35 PM, RichA wrote:
    >> A lens in a box, weighing no more than 1/2 lb. International Priority
    >> mail. No tracking number. 7-10 day delivery: $35.00. I shipped a
    >> lens out the same way from Canada to California and it cost $9.74 and
    >> Can. mailing costs are higher than U.S. Their only reasonable option
    >> from them is Purolator Ground at $9.72. However, Puro ground means
    >> that on my end they charge a "border brokerage" fee which is often
    >> $20.00. They were sued over this a while back. In any case, it's
    >> clear B&H who obviously enjoy shipping discounts are padding shipping
    >> HUGELY.

    >Well
    >no one forces you to buy from them.
    >
    >A few weeks back I decided to skip the middleman and get a video capture
    >card that goes for about $50 or so in the US.
    >
    >To my utter disbelief I purchased one in China for $3 (new)
    >the shipping was $5

    The other day I went shopping for a tape measure. I remember the days
    when I used to have to pay over NZ$40 for a 7m (22') tape so I was
    very pleased to see the shelves filled with NX$25 tapes from China. In
    the end I paid NZ$5 for one made in India. China had better watch its
    back.

    >So even though I saved a lot of money... the postage was more than the
    >item itself.
    >
    >FWIW: It shipped 4th class and took about two weeks to get here

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Dec 11, 2010
  12. RichA

    Mort Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:35:35 -0800 (PST), RichA<> wrote:
    > : A lens in a box, weighing no more than 1/2 lb. International Priority
    > : mail. No tracking number. 7-10 day delivery: $35.00. I shipped a
    > : lens out the same way from Canada to California and it cost $9.74 and
    > : Can. mailing costs are higher than U.S. Their only reasonable option
    > : from them is Purolator Ground at $9.72. However, Puro ground means
    > : that on my end they charge a "border brokerage" fee which is often
    > : $20.00. They were sued over this a while back. In any case, it's
    > : clear B&H who obviously enjoy shipping discounts are padding shipping
    > : HUGELY.
    >
    > That's odd. My observation is that more and more often these days, B&H offers
    > FREE SHIPPING (within the U.S.?) on items I buy from them.<cackle!>
    >
    > Bob

    On my recent purchases, B. and H. offers free shipping via commercial
    carriers, but they bill me for shipping via the U.S.P.S.. So, the choice
    is easy. No problem.

    Mort Linder

    Mort, Dec 11, 2010
  13. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:04:37 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 10-12-10 18:51 , Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2010-12-10 15:35:35 -0800, RichA <> said:
    >>
    >>> A lens in a box, weighing no more than 1/2 lb. International Priority
    >>> mail. No tracking number. 7-10 day delivery: $35.00. I shipped a
    >>> lens out the same way from Canada to California and it cost $9.74 and
    >>> Can. mailing costs are higher than U.S. Their only reasonable option
    >>> from them is Purolator Ground at $9.72. However, Puro ground means
    >>> that on my end they charge a "border brokerage" fee which is often
    >>> $20.00. They were sued over this a while back. In any case, it's
    >>> clear B&H who obviously enjoy shipping discounts are padding shipping
    >>> HUGELY.

    >> Haven't we been over this B&H shipping ground before?

    >Yeah - not sure why Rich is going ballistic. Again.
    >
    >Then again, all we have to not do is answer.
    >
    >Further, you can self-broker the shipment at Canadian customs and then
    >there is zero fee. Assumes there's a customs office reasonably close.
    >(Major airports, near shipping centers, borders, ports).

    Are there no camera/camera accessory shops in Canada? This is not the
    first complaint about high shipping costs from US companies to
    Canadian buyers. One would think that the same item ordered from a
    Canadian company at a higher unit price, but lower shipping, would be
    the answer. Why the Canadian store's price would be higher is unknown
    to me; perhaps it's lack of competition.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 12, 2010
  14. RichA

    YDOD Guest

    Canadian prices are all over the map. Some (very few) Canadian prices are
    cheaper than the US but the great majority are way more expensive than the
    US prices. I strongly suspect that some manufacturers lean on their US
    dealers to prevent them from shipping to Canadian customers in order to
    protect their Canadian dealers. Some US dealers will ship to Canadian
    customers but inflate the shipping costs presumably because they think they
    can get away with it. Some manufacturers will not honor their warranty if
    the product is purchased in the US and the product is taken for repair in
    Canada. The situation seems to be starting to improve and I think it will
    continue to do so as long as Canadian customers do their homework before
    making a US purchase and only deal with US suppliers who offer a deal which
    makes sense when compared to their US deals. It is possible to find many
    examples of small items which have "free shipping" in the US but have
    shipping costs of $30 or more if shipped to Canada. It takes a lot of time
    and effort to find the best deal and you have to be prepared to wade through
    a lot of fine print. I think it also helps to complain to the US companies
    which have really poor deals for Canadian customers.

    YDOD, Dec 12, 2010
  15. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 10:18:57 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 10-12-12 8:23 , tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:04:37 -0500, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Yeah - not sure why Rich is going ballistic. Again.
    >>>
    >>> Then again, all we have to not do is answer.
    >>>
    >>> Further, you can self-broker the shipment at Canadian customs and then
    >>> there is zero fee. Assumes there's a customs office reasonably close.
    >>> (Major airports, near shipping centers, borders, ports).

    >> Are there no camera/camera accessory shops in Canada? This is not the
    >> first complaint about high shipping costs from US companies to
    >> Canadian buyers. One would think that the same item ordered from a
    >> Canadian company at a higher unit price, but lower shipping, would be
    >> the answer. Why the Canadian store's price would be higher is unknown
    >> to me; perhaps it's lack of competition.

    >Of course there are - but often bargains found in the US are not
    >available here.
    >
    >Another issue is that some camera goods in Canada are shipped and landed
    >in the US and then shipped to Canada for distribution. The S&H costs
    >add up. (If they "pass through" and remain bonded, it's peanuts, but if
    >they are brokered into the US before being re-exported to Canada, it's
    >more expensive).
    >
    >Exchange rates play another role in this, though not as much recently.
    >
    >When I bought the a900, not only was it cheaper (about $150 less) in
    >Canada but came with a 2 yr warranty (1 yr. in the US). Then I
    >negotiated to pay cash (v. CC), saving another $40.
    >
    >OTOH, when I bought my Nikon scanner it was $500 more here (taxes, S&H
    >considered). But because of Nikon's unusual warranty conditions on
    >material bought in the US (not covered in Canada or even repairable at
    >cost in Canada) I didn't take the risk - I ordered it locally.
    >
    >It is competitive, IOW, but as in all competitive ventures, the better
    >deal may be south of the border.
    >
    >Note, also, the Canadian tax and health care system means that all
    >commerce faces higher costs - that does appear in retail amounts.
    >
    >On US Thanksgiving "Black Friday Sales" Montreal stores also hold a
    >"Black Friday Sale" in a bid to reduce shoppers heading to Plattsburgh
    >and Burlington...

    OK, good explanation. However, most of the complaints about the high
    shipping costs from US stores to Canadian buyers come across as
    criticism of the US merchants and the US in general.

    Yet, the system that results in the higher prices seems to be the
    Canadian system. The US merchants can't control the costs that
    Canadian merchants incur.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 12, 2010
  16. Re: B&H's obscene shipping prices often wipe out savings for int.buyers

    Ryan McGinnis, Dec 13, 2010
  17. RichA

    henryp

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    New York, NY
    We certainly regret your dissatisfaction. International Priority mail shipments from B&H Photo do have a package tracking number, which is emailed to the customer when the order is packed and ready to leave here. Unfortunately it's been my experience the usps.com web site is not nearly as up-to-date or accurate as ups.com for package tracking. That's just one reason I prefer UPS for international shipments.

    Our shipping fees encompass what our vendors charge us and a pro-rated amount reflecting the operation of our state-of-the-art shipping systems including manpower, shipping supplies, and so on. We do not allow our store prices to subsidize shipping so the amount of the s&h fee (which we post before your order is submitted if you're ordering online) reflects your individual transaction.

    Our international UPS options do not include ground, so UPS shipping includes brokerage. We recently added Purolator for shipping to Canada in response to the many requests we received for a reliable but less expensive option. So far, it's been very well received and we hope to expand this to other countries soon.
    __ _
    Henry Posner
    B&H Photo-Video

    henryp, Dec 13, 2010
  18. RichA

    henryp Guest

    We're certainly sorry the OP is so agitated about our s&h rates. We're
    constantly looking for shipping options for our non-USA customers
    which
    combine reasonable and affordable prices with reliability. We want
    your
    merchandise to reach you unscathed within a reasonable time period. We
    want reliable and accurate online package tracking and we want the
    shipper to respond speedily if a parcel is mislaid or damaged in
    transit. Too often our options have been inexpensive or reliable and
    we
    opt for reliable when faced with that choice.

    Our international business initiatives team recently added Purolator
    shipping to Canada and the response has generally been quite good. We
    hope to add Purolator for more countries or other equally attractive
    options as soon as possible.

    --
    Henry Posner
    B&H Photo-Video

    henryp, Dec 15, 2010
  19. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >A lens in a box, weighing no more than 1/2 lb. International Priority
    >mail. No tracking number. 7-10 day delivery: $35.00. I shipped a
    >lens out the same way from Canada to California and it cost $9.74 and

    Quite the communist, aren't you? You hate liberals but you are
    against the free market.

    Maybe you're really just a stupid brat.

    --
    Ray Fischer | Mendacracy (n.) government by lying

    Ray Fischer, Dec 19, 2010